Get Together Suggestions For Next Time!

irishfield

While I wait for my pictures that Dano has on his camera so I can do our Adolphus Reach/BOQ post I thought I'd throw this up.

The weekend was a great time for many involved and IMHO could have been a LOT better for some with a bit more planning and thought control on their parts.

Carp ended up fishing solo and sleeping in his van in Tip of the Bay parking lot. Surely...ourselves included..someone could have made room for him on their floor.

Sunday early two guys I'll leave nameless, as I don't want to embarrass/single out anyone, showed up at our door looking for me and I was still in bed and Terry told them that. They left instead of coming in...watching some TV and trying to sort something out. As it was they immediately disappeared and not an hour later Remo (Carp) showed up to use our bathroom to get ready for the days outting. He got stood up for a partner and could have taken BOTH of these gentlemen out fishing for the day. I intentionally left the phone number for the Merland office in the pinned BOQ thread on the old site so in a situation like this if someone had of called and left a message we could have spent the night around the campfire..or our trip over to the Picton Inn finding these guys a boat spot for morning.

There were other instances of guys fishing alone...while others had three in the boat...people left on shore etc. Heck even Emil went out solo Sunday. Fishing in August on a hot summer day alone can be okay....but -1C..blowing 40K..gusting 69 solo sure wouldn't have been my cup of tea without a boat mate like "Captain Dan" to share some laughs with and to forget you can't feel your fingers anymore.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne there's no problem sleeping in one's truck while you get your beauty sleep :D:D Don't need a grumpy Wayne :lol:

I didn't read every post on the BOQ because I wasn't going but the one's that I read kinda lead me to believe that things were in order, but by the sounds of it that wasn't the case.

Glad to hear you still had a good time.

Whopper

After obseving the festivities around the camp fire on the weekend, I think it might be a good idea to have a Dry GTG.... :rolleyes: so more of us can actually make it out on the water the day after the night before!!!LOL... yah right!

Seriously... if all that attended or meant to attend were able to get all their poop in one place, we could have had Merlands to ourselves and not spread everyone across and around the GPA (Greater Picton Area) I would have had a chance to meet othersand swapped stories!

HH aka the fish whisperer!

Edited by Headhunter

Sorry to hear about some of the confusion. I'm glad that people generally had a good time.

I know from experience with other kinds of events that it's hard to get a group of people organized who are coming from different places and different times, unless somebody takes the intiative of coordinating it.

For example, creating a spreadsheet showing who was confirmed, where they were staying, when they were arriving and when they were leaving, and whether they had a boat or had a seat in a boat arranged.

That person would know that Carp had a seat or two free in his boat and needed a couch or floor to sleep.

It takes work, some people like doing it and others don't.

Mike

Hi Wayne,

I'll admit it, it was me and another friend that knocked on your door and spoke with Terry. It was my dumb @ss that forgot to bring your number (I had it written down in my office, and didn't think I needed it). I recalled you mentioning being in #12 so I had to at least stop by and say hello. I figured since you were still asleep, it was best not wake you have you get all grumpy and such. Besides, my friend and I were itching to get onto some fish after getting skunked through the night, since the main office was still closed and we didn't know when they'd open, didn't know if they still had any more boats to rent, and there didn't seem to have anyone else to ask, so we decided to head out to the ferry docks to try our luck on shore. :dunno:

Besides, it was my friend couldn't get his boat out for this outing after he mentioned he would :angry: .

No worries Wayne, and no bad feelings on our ends. I still hope to meet you one of these days. :thumbsup_anim:

Dang! Carp, was that you in the red oddessy? We were the two die hards on the dock and boat ramp. If we knew you had a couple spots on your boat, we would have joined you and split the cost of gas, etc. Anyways, next time!

It was still great to have met DouG, Terry, and Icefisherman (brief as it was).

Stan

I agree Wayne, and I also wonder what could be done about people who have reservations and plans set in place getting a dock slip as opposed to those who just show up and stay with others and take up a boat slip when they are limited. That seemed to be an issue both nights I was there.

Joey

some good points there Wayne

and if we could get Merland park to put cottage numbers on the docks

that would help too

but I would bet that there are some outsiders who have already book Merland for the same weekend next year...and it seems OFNer change their minds alot .............it would be hard for us to get it worked out earlier in the year..

maybe we could all chip in and buy the place........

I know from experience with other kinds of events that it's hard to get a group of people organized who are coming from different places and different times, unless somebody takes the intiative of coordinating it.

For example, creating a spreadsheet showing who was confirmed, where they were staying, when they were arriving and when they were leaving, and whether they had a boat or had a seat in a boat arranged.

That person would know that Carp had a seat or two free in his boat and needed a couch or floor to sleep.

It takes work, some people like doing it and others don't.

I could not agree more, there were some people as they said all over the BOQ, not only due to space issues, but also $$ issues..

Little too chilly to camp and keep cost down for some people so $$ was an issue,

That said, its not that we were not aware everyone was at the Merland. I persally was just tired from 6am to 6pm fishing each day :) then fishing off the docks for some night action..

Lake Air its warmer and I can get in an afternoon nappy :-) see everyone there

While I only get to come up to Canada once a year for the Lakair event I have always found that Lak Air is an ideal place for people to meet up and use as a base camp. I would bet Leslie and Kevin would be happy to sponsor us more than once a year if we planned it out with them.

Art

Wayne since your so concerned about carp being stood up and so everyone knows, my power in my house went off sometime through the night and my alarm clock did not go off carp called and woke me up and I figured I didn't want to hold him up any longer since I was still in Belleville. If he would have said are you still coming I would have but I knew he was anxious to get out on the water. I have apologized for the situation now I think you should drop it.....I am only posting this because you have centered me out or else it would've been a pm if mods want to pull it thats fine but since I was centered out by YOU I figure all OFC at least should hear my side... peace...

I don't think it is the planning that is the challenge.

If people are able to commit and pay up front, the rest is easy. I think if the date was picked say fri/sat night leaving sunday noon kind of thing it wouldn't be a big deal. Get it all booked by June I am sure that we would get the availability needed. Since everyone is paid up front, last minute cancellations are at the expense of that person, I am sure they could find someone to take their pre-paid spot pretty easily ;)

Commitment and Cash are the culprit here.

yeah, but we go to BOQ this time of year to catch monster walleye and it's almost the only place in the world that you can do that...(and that's why I go)

and they only move in this time of year

so while Lakair is a great M&G spot and has nice eatting size pickerel

it doesn't have the chance of a 18.5lb walleye

Wayne since your so concerned about carp being stood up and so everyone knows, my power in my house went off sometime through the night and my alarm clock did not go off carp called and woke me up and I figured I didn't want to hold him up any longer since I was still in Belleville. If he would have said are you still coming I would have but I knew he was anxious to get out on the water. I have apologized for the situation now I think you should drop it.....I am only posting this because you have centered me out or else it would've been a pm if mods want to pull it thats fine but since I was centered out by YOU I figure all OFC at least should hear my side... peace...

Blackfish..grow up. I'm just trying to make people aware of how better communications could make everyone's fishing trip more enjoyable for next time. Not beating on anyone and if you think so well I guess that's your choice. Remo came to our cottage said he had called you and you were supposed to call him back. It was now 9:30 and he still hadn't heard from you. If I had of wanted to single you out I would have put your name in print, which I did not...and if we had of known he was going to be out alone...or if Stan had of hung around he wouldn't have been sitting on shore at the ferry dock....he would have been on the water. There were other cases of this as well...just not going to list them all as not necessary to make the point of COMMUNICATIONS.

Edited by irishfield

I'll be leaving Friday night or early Saturday morning from Mississauga, making a stop in west end Toronto to pick up the boat. Driving down solo.

Ya, I know. Waited too long, last minute, no space, all booked, .....

Guess I may have to sacrifice my body in the name of fishing

and shack up with the local cougars if I can't get a floor spot.

Ahhh, life is good in Canada....no ???

I'm waiting to hear back from blackfish88, so I'll have room for 1 or possibly 2 in the boat.

Let me know if anyone needs a boat to fish in.

Anyone want to fish with the best walleye guide in the world ?

Well, he's probably busy, so you can fish with me instead. Real sad you got stood up like the ugly girl on prom night Remo! Just don't understand people sometimes. Lots of screw ups at Quinte this year in my honest opinion...I really don't get how some people think. ////////growing up has nothing to do with it bud. I honestly did not hear him say to call him back if I was coming he called and woke me up and I said to go ahead without me. I don't think throwing insults helps the situation either re (grow up). sure looks like print to me not directly but it's there and the assumption made.

Edited by BLACKFISH88

yes i agree i showed up at merland park about 6am sturday morn told one OFC mrmber i was alone ,in my boat then came back to merland 2 times sat night to maybe meet a few guys and never met anyone i fished solo all weekend and was only just 10mins walk to the sportsman hotel,i could have taken someone in my boat for sure ,maybe next time we can organize for sure.... :D:Gonefishing:

group hug everyone! :rolleyes:

as its been said a Quinte trip is tough to plan perfectly - some people like Merlands, some dont

The opportunity to catch above average walleyes is why Quinte is chosen - its tough to accomodate everyone at the same accomodations, because Quinte is world re-known for its fall fishery & the few beds that Picton has available, fill up quickly on weekends. Also Lakair (Nippissing) closes for fishing in mid-October anywayz

I was up in Picton for the day on Sat, but it was a last minute decision - also had to turn around & drive 3 1/2 hrs home, other wise woulda stopped in @ the Merlands campfire for a visit - did see some of ya's on the water tho

I got to meet and re-meet a good bunch of OFNers this past weekend, so I had a great time. I don't sweat the little stuff. Life tends to get complicated for me if I have to worry about what others are doing.

The beauty about fishing is it doesnt get cancelled if the 'other guy' doesnt show ... and ... imho ... it can be just as much fun .... anyhow ... I chime in only because I cam THIS CLOSE -><- to coming down un-spec on Staurday after picking my daughter up from Laurier ...but figured there wouldnt be any room in anyones boat and didnt wanna be the third wheel ....anyhow sounds like as always it was a bumper-crop of Reach- walleye

Next year ... IM IN !!!!! .... who wants me to prepay for a seat and a spot on the floor ? :D :D :D

Good to me meet you this weekend Roy.We will have to get together for some fishin this summer in the Boucherville Islands.That said.

What puzzles me is quinte's popularity is growing with less places to stay and many already closed in November.Now the tip of the Bay is being closed to be torn down for condo developement.Is this the future more condos and less space for the sportsman to stay.Merlands is going to need to expand .More docks cabins etc....Ok lets invest.

Mike

Yep...ya gotta point Roy and it was great seeing you again and all the other OFC'rs we visited with in our cottage, around the fire beside our cottage, down at the Picton Inn and out on the water waving/cell phoning and VHF'ng as well.

Why do I bother worrying about how to make other guys lives a little easier...more enjoyable. Who am I to try and help them out, adding thoughts on how to make things go smoother for them next year so they can get out on the water. I'll just shut my mouth now...call Dano/Terry/etc on the phone and we'll do our own thing at BOQ next year and not worry about anyone else having fishing partners etc.

Edited by irishfield

Sure hope your just venting Wayne - Even thou we didn't catch any fish we really had a great time and CAN"T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!

Sorry I missed you at Merlands but they said you were watching the hockey game. Did get to meet a great bunch of OFC'ERS thou and had a great chat by the fire.

Is there a date set for next year yet or is it set closer to the time - I want to book at Merlands for next year - you guys are crazy!!!!

Please don't let the opinion of one person ruin your efforts. I for one have very much appreciated all your help and information over the last year. I look forward to next years outing and hope that maybe then I can catch one of those darn Quinte walleye.

Thanks Again

Don

We didn't lock the door Don...you should have just walked in. The campfire was beside our cottage..the Walleye Wonder.

Yah...I'm venting. Never heard of anyone hyped for fishing that slept in in the morning. Lots that had a wife that said no ..... way bud though!