Tiller or Console? Lund or Alumacraft

GNODDY

Hey Folks,

Possibly looking to buy a brand new package. I do a ton of Muskie fishing and a lil bit of everything else. I'm looking at a 16-16.5 ft boat and am undecided now as to tiller or Console. I thought I was stuck on Console but after talking to a well known junkie on this board he made me think twice about console. I am considering the new Lund Fury 1600 SS and also a few Alumacraft models lunker 2 and fisherman CS. I didn't make it to the boat show so to be honest I haven't looked at these boats close enough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

G

Tillers are great.. for part of the year... if you're serious into late fall Muskies.. you'll never go back after a console.

I've had the same situation in May on more than one occasion Wayne. I couldn't imagine the ride with a tiller.

There is so many right answers to your question.

YOU really have to check the boats out, sit in them, pretend your fishing, and see what works, and what doesn't, then weight the pros/cons of each. Only YOU can decide what YOU want.

I have a tiller. This boat is coming to the grave with me, but there are a couple times a year, where a full windshield/console would have been nice. I'm still, hands down, a tiller guy. Once I wieght the pros/cons, it always comes out ahead.

you guys who complain about cold/wet/hot/sunny weather shouldn't be fisherman. I'm going to call the whaaaaambulance....

S.

coldNiagaarSaturday005.jpg

7lber.jpg

Tonnes of room in this boat for everything, easy to troll with the riggers when alone , no looking over your shoulder all day , in a 16' your gonna be looking for all the space you can ! I will never own a full console boat theres so much wasted space IMO

Went from an old springbok tiller to Lund 1625 REbel XL sport with console!. Console the way to go as it breaks the wind and splash up from waves especially during spring and late fall! Rebel is a great stable boat

IMG_1591b.JPG

Edited by devy

Lunds or Alumacrafts... both were my top two choices when buying as well. With two Lund dealers nearby, one just 15 minutes away, I chose the 16 foot Rebel XL. Plus, I think I just wanted a Lund having always really liked my buddies 16 foot Classic tiller.

Tiller vs console is a very personal choice as only you know what your comfort level, season and fishing needs are on the water. I'd love to have both, but was happy to take the tiller. I fished last year into December, spent some time on two of Ontario's Great Lakes, chased everything fishy that swims, got wet a couple times because of having a tiller, but it never once really bothered me. Rainsuit and/or goggles came out a couple times. :lol: I like having the full boat in front of me, engaging everything ahead. The extra room and the quick response of the tiller is great as well. If fishing the GL's more often, then an 18 foot with a console would have been the choice, but the Lund handled BOQ well this year when picking the right days, same as the Ottawa River... and I got in and out of some smaller lakes with shallow launches unscathed as well. 16 foot is the workable size for big and small water.

Enjoy whatever you get. Lund or Aluma, tiller or console, when it's yours it's the best thing on the water. ;)

I've fished from all the styles of boats over the years and have owned most of them and every one has it's good points and bad points and depends what you need.

Tillers are great because of the extra room you get and are nice for precise boat control but can be miserable in really nasty weather.

Single & dual consols are great for running WOT down the lake on a cold moring but somewhat cut down on your space if you have a smaller boat and are also uncomfortable on those miserable cold rainy days.

Full windshields give the most protection when running down the lake but unless you have a bigger boat your movements are also somewhat limited.

My personal favorite after all the boats I've owned is a full windshield with a standup, fully enclosed top.

As mentioned a few times previously in this post, when your fishing big water in November & December and the winds are howling and the snow is blowing, it's great to have the full encloser to keep you warm, dry and comfy.

Cnv1001.jpg

My next boat will be an Alumacraft Navigator 165 or 175. Their rod storage, bait/livewells and ergo's seem to be built FOR fisherman BY fisherman...unlike everyone elses. :Gonefishing:

"Why, yes Reverend Jones, I am a little parched. Could you pass the Kool-Aid please..."

Did you go to the boat show? That is the place to jump in and out of boats and see what the room vs. comfort debate is all about. I have a side console and love the control and the room that I have to run about. My passengers do not like the fact that I blast around everywhere because I am shielded while they are frozen and wind blasted (I remain unsympathetic). The truth of the matter is that the console does not offer really great cover, I mean it is better than nothing, but hardly complete. I think for me it was really more about the comfort of a steering wheel and the freedom to multi-task form one spot, including quick un-impeded access to the front and the back of the boat.

I am also a fair weather type, so rigging for winter, or extreme weather is not as important to me as it would be to the hardcore types.

See the picture below. It is my boat during a trip to Rice last spring. You can see how quickly a 16' side console fills up (that is the stuff for two guys!) There is not much room for walk-throughs or dual consoles.

P1010665.jpg

Good luck!!

Jim

Under same model, console type boat can carry bigger motor, of course it's heavy.

Max HP of my Tiller boat is 60 HP comparing with 75 HP for Console. Not sure if it affects speed alot since Tiller is much light.

Edited by linweir

I've got an Alumacraft Navigator 165 (full windshield), thanks Gord.

I fish with family and friends, so the full windshield is great for everyones comfort.

In regards to Lund vs Alumacraft, you cant go wrong either way. Both are top quality, however, Alumacraft does not have the marketing machine or the sponsorship that Lund has, therefore more Lunds out there and a higher price. I have had Lund owners in my boat and they have been impressed with the quality, and the smooth ride of my Alumacraft. In my two year search for a used boat, I was primarily looking at Lunds, but I found the AC, and I have been very pleased with my purchase. At the end of the day, you will not be making a mistake either way, just find a boat layout that will meet your,and your passengers, criteria.

Cheers!

IMO once you go 17-18'+ the extra length affords you the luxury of going console. in a 16' I think I'd go tiller for the extra room. a full windshield would just take up too much room.

Yaa but look at how cool you look standing up in the back of the boat with a tiller in your hand. Man just pop a Marlboro Cigarette in your mouth and unzip your jacket so it can flutter in the breeze.... and your the bomb.

I don't own a tiller ones to big, ones to fast, and the other I need to sit up front so I can see the rocks before I hit them.

Art

First off..... TILLER and ALUMACRAFT. That would be my choice. Like Sinker, I'm a tiller guy till I die! I love backtrolling for walleye and love the open space for muskies. I am willing to sacrifice creature comforts for fishability.

Wiser's boat is an AWESOME RIG! I agree w/ Raf too, if you're going 16' there's not enough space for a console.

I once worked for a lodge that ran 18' Lund Pro V tillers. After 5 seasons the boats were beat up so badly and they took on a lot of water when backtrolling. They switched to Alumacraft and the difference is unbelievable. They don't show the wear and tear on the interior and best of all, they still backtroll into big waves without taking on water.