Am I Going to be OK?; Are you Going to be OK?

Entropy

Truth is, if there is an excuse for putting up the price of anything, it will be used. Always has been and always will be. Only a fool believes that a politician will change that time honored formula. Politicians are either well off of their own accord, or they have been bought and paid for by the corporate world. How else do they pay for lavish election campaigns and high priced advisors and analysts. Not by selling membership cards.

I just find that in today's economic climate, I am applying a lot more of my grandparent's wisdom and advice. They got through the depression and WWII, so I guess I can manage too. Rule number 1: Trust no government or corporation, because none have your best interest at heart.

Truth is, if there is an excuse for putting up the price of anything, it will be used. Always has been and always will be. Only a fool believes that a politician will change that time honored formula. Politicians are either well off of their own accord, or they have been bought and paid for by the corporate world. How else do they pay for lavish election campaigns and high priced advisors and analysts. Not by selling membership cards.

I just find that in today's economic climate, I am applying a lot more of my grandparent's wisdom and advice. They got through the depression and WWII, so I guess I can manage too. Rule number 1: Trust no government or corporation, because none have your best interest at heart.

There is something inherently wrong with a system of government that allows the richest 2 or 3 percent of the population to control the lives of the other 97-98 percent? Kings and queens with a different title, they still believe they are royalty. What is good for them is all that counts.

The price of stuff rises all the time and probably always will and there's not much we can do about it.

My dad bought a brand new Chevy pick-up in 1961 and payed $1800 for it. Today we pay nearly that for a set of tires :lol:

In 1954 my folks built a beautiful new home in Don Mills at Leslie & Lawrence for $12000. It's worth slightly more than that today.

When I joined the Fire Dept in Toronto 43 years ago I was earning the grand total of $5200 a year and that was considered pretty decent money. Got my 1st home the same year and it cost $16,000

I still remember paying 39 cents for my 1st pack of cigarettes back in 1961. Now there what, something like $9 :w00t:

Crazy stuff :D

Signature Seperator image

That is crazy I want a $12,000 home LOL...

The scary part though,

Census Canada Say's the Average Canadian wage these days is $50,000/year(for men...sorry ladies I didn't look your stat up)

And the average Candian home is now $331,000

Average wage is down by comparison taxes are up, essentials such as food, water, hydro, and Gas are up....our homes cost more, and our childrens education is rising to the level of luxury.

Another factor is the poor are treated better in this era getting assistance such as welfare and increased minimum wages which is great

But the Middle class is getting hosed paying for it on the same level as the rich.

We're headed down a dangerous road right now...the rich get richer and more tax breaks, while the middle class get pushed into poverty.

and no releif in site....sad but true

Just wait until the Interest Rates skyrocket...

Then we get to pay more to the Banks as well.

I think I need a does of happy right now :(

Edited by Cookslav

The 112 hours I worked the past two weeks should keep me at par I would think. :whistling:

I hear yah brother... but I'm getting to old for all these hours... and it messes with my fishing time :angry:

I can still afford the good ketchup...NEWFIE steak AKA...bologna.... and real Kraft Dinner, so we haven't bottomed out yet :whistling:

What's happening now is that we are entering a 'New Age of Austerity'. We have had it too good for too long. Our parents had to scrimp and save and really, we haven't, not even close. There were times when it may have been a bit tight but it didn't last too long. There has been too much money available and now the majority of people are overextending themselves. I'm not just talking about the average working stiff either. In my house, we eat steak, roasts, ribs, chicken, fish and the like very regularly, how you may ask?? I don't make $200k/yr. Every Saturday morning I have my ritual, while the fishing shows are on, I go through the ads for the week. Over the course of the week during my travels, I will stop at the various stores to pick up the specials along with some of the basic staples, bread, milk eggs and the like. I have a freezer that is very well stocked in the basement as well as a well stocked pantry of dry goods. Why buy a can of tomatoes for $1.49 when you can get them for .88 each on special. Buy a dozen or two. Why pay $7.99 or higher per pound for a Prime rib roast when you can get it for $3.99/lb? You just have to be a smart shopper. That's what our folks did. The only time they went into debt was to buy a house. Now we have car payments, mortgage payments, credit card payments, daycare, etc....etc...etc....

Hey BigBuck, my old lady can darn near qualify for the coupon lady TV show. box's of granola bars to cereal to cans of cookies!!

She once dragged me to the store for 8 cases of chef boy r D products, it was on sale for 88 cents a can and she had .50 a can off coupons .38 a can of stew,meatballs,ravioli etc..

What's happening now is that we are entering a 'New Age of Austerity'. We have had it too good for too long. Our parents had to scrimp and save and really, we haven't, not even close. There were times when it may have been a bit tight but it didn't last too long. There has been too much money available and now the majority of people are overextending themselves. I'm not just talking about the average working stiff either. In my house, we eat steak, roasts, ribs, chicken, fish and the like very regularly, how you may ask?? I don't make $200k/yr. Every Saturday morning I have my ritual, while the fishing shows are on, I go through the ads for the week. Over the course of the week during my travels, I will stop at the various stores to pick up the specials along with some of the basic staples, bread, milk eggs and the like. I have a freezer that is very well stocked in the basement as well as a well stocked pantry of dry goods. Why buy a can of tomatoes for $1.49 when you can get them for .88 each on special. Buy a dozen or two. Why pay $7.99 or higher per pound for a Prime rib roast when you can get it for $3.99/lb? You just have to be a smart shopper. That's what our folks did. The only time they went into debt was to buy a house. Now we have car payments, mortgage payments, credit card payments, daycare, etc....etc...etc....

You are 100% correct....many many of us don't know what hard times are... myself included... and I'm thankful for that.

Your Saturday morning ritual is my Thursday night one...cause that's when the paper comes out with all the flyers :thumbsup_anim: Debbe and the kids learned a long time ago not to mess with the Thursday newspaper before I got the flyers out of it :P

The price of stuff rises all the time and probably always will and there's not much we can do about it.

My dad bought a brand new Chevy pick-up in 1961 and payed $1800 for it. Today we pay nearly that for a set of tires :lol:

In 1954 my folks built a beautiful new home in Don Mills at Leslie & Lawrence for $12000. It's worth slightly more than that today.

When I joined the Fire Dept in Toronto 43 years ago I was earning the grand total of $5200 a year and that was considered pretty decent money. Got my 1st home the same year and it cost $16,000

I still remember paying 39 cents for my 1st pack of cigarettes back in 1961. Now there what, something like $9 :w00t:

Crazy stuff :D

Crazy stuff for sure Lew

Back in the days of rising prices we also had rising wages and a shot of overtime to put in to have a bit more standing around money...

But now that we are retired and on fixed incomes it gets harder and harder to keep up without going deeperer in debt (good old Visa !!!)

I've stopped using the card to fill up the truck and pay $40 cash at the pumps now and try not to use the truck unless necessary...(dump, town for medical reasons, and make sure I can multi-task the trips picking up "specials")

I've been toying with the thought of getting a part-time job to make ends meet but who is going to hire a 75 year old decrepit overweight senior with gout so bad he can't get his boots on unless he takes out the liners...(damn cold on the feets that way)...rolleyes.gifdunno.giflaugh.gif

Enough of my crying poverty...there's lots worse off than us...Gonefishing.gif

Every Saturday morning I have my ritual, while the fishing shows are on, I go through the ads for the week. Over the course of the week during my travels, I will stop at the various stores to pick up the specials along with some of the basic staples, bread, milk eggs and the like. I have a freezer that is very well stocked in the basement as well as a well stocked pantry of dry goods. Why buy a can of tomatoes for $1.49 when you can get them for .88 each on special. Buy a dozen or two. Why pay $7.99 or higher per pound for a Prime rib roast when you can get it for $3.99/lb? You just have to be a smart shopper. That's what our folks did. The only time they went into debt was to buy a house. Now we have car payments, mortgage payments, credit card payments, daycare, etc....etc...etc....

Way to easy to get credit, when I was 19 I had a $2000 visa. Only beer and pizza racked it up. Worse thing a young person (19-25) can do IMO, is get a NEW car. Total waste of money. Buy used and sock the rest of what would of been your new payment into a savings account for a house. I wish I had that advice.

I do the exact same. I get all the flyers on thurs eve, I go through everyone and price match at Walmart. Yep, Walmart. I hunt down all the "loss leaders" from other stores and stock up. It is work, but for the hour I spend I can save close to a hundred bucks, not bad for an hours work.

As for the debt, I went old school 2 years ago, don't have the money, you don't get it. Plain and simple. It's tough, but that "financial" stress is GONE! Highly recommended. We have no bail out in our future.

Fortunate there is no daycare either, she is a stay at home Mom.

Good post bigbuck.

Edited by Harrison

My Gram taught me about stretching the food dollar when I was young. It pays off. This week's grab; bacon at $1.79. Grabbed 10 lbs. Canned sockeye a $1 a can, grabbed the last 8 off the shelf. I still buy large hunks of meat to break down into roasts, steaks, chops, stewing portions. 20lbs for $20 goes a long way.

There is only a little left of my credit to pay off, and I'll sleep a lot easier.

Were coping by raising chickens for eggs and rabbits for meat. We grow our own vegetables in the summer months. The problem isn't the rising prices everywhere its this darn HSt on basic staples in fife. Our government is screwing us every time we buy a bag of carrots to feed our children. I will pay off all credit ASAP and stick with the cash only method. Was thinking of growing weed to pay off debt. Man times are tough, and not going to get any better any time soon. I'm kidding and not going to grow weed but I guess I'm just going to have to work a little harder..Anybody know how to grow the stuff?....I need a mentor..lol :thumbsup_anim:

Incomes go up 2% everything costs 10% more...who do YOU think is getting that 8%... not my piggy bank...

My plan is to keep cutting things out of my life to maintain the things I want to spend my money on. Eventually if everything works out I will will be forced to work and fish and thats it.

Edited by jedimaster

As I read so many of the replies the trend seems to be consistant for the most part "we have to cut back"!

Well, you are right in many cases; we cut back on our hydro usage by putting in CFC bulbs, turning off the computer when we aren't using it, doing laundry etc. during non peak periods, un plugging cell phone chargers when not in use and putting in high efficiency appliances where ever we could to name a few things. Oh but wait, Hydro isn't getting the revenu they were before so now they have to put our hydro cost up to compensate. Good deal if you can get it, provide less, charge more.

When I start to look at what I am paying for things: phone/TV $112.00/month that's $1,120.00 a year. Wasn't that many years ago the only cost I had for TV was the cost of the TV set. True, I didn't have as many chanels but most of the time when I look there are only about 8 shows on at any one time, they are just spread across 36 chanels anyway.

When I look at what I pay in taxes, I am working 6+ months a year just to pay my taxes, I wonder why that is? Am I so much better off than I was 40 years ago? I can't see it!

I've worked two full time jobs, saved, drove old beaters, and given up a lot of things to try to make a good home for my family. The guy next door worked one job, drove old beaters sat on his deck on the weekend drinking beer. I get taxed at twice the rate, not twice as much, twice the rate he did because I chose to work harder to try to get ahead.

Finally after working 45 years and saving I managed to finally buy a retirement home 10 years ago. Taxes were $1600.00 a year but because I chose to work hard and fix it up and invest in it, my taxes have now gone up to $4000.00 a year and just because I own waterfront I get assessed an extra $1200.00/linear foot of shore line/year which means I now pay taxes on an extra $90,000.00. I still get exactly the same services as the guy across the road, the same services I got 10 years ago. Sure I have gained some equity but believe me that equity has been earned by sweat and tears, mine, now I have to pay a premium?

I'm 65, I should be able to retire but my pensions are only $1500.00 a month. I could bairly rent a 1 bedroom apartment and pay for food and necissaties on that so as near as I can tell I have no choice, live in poverty or work until I die.

Good system we have here when Counselors make $100,000.00+ a year and all kinds of perks. There is no accountability in government, lie, cheat, steal, I'll pay your legal bills into the millions of dollars and the whole thing will just get swept under the rug even if you are guilty.

Run hydro into the ground and get all kinds of bonuses then a golden hand shake and I get to pay for it. Pay to build the 407 out of my hard earned tax $ then sell it off to a private corp. so they can rape me some more!

There will be a revolution some day, God grant me the life and health to see it because as I see things right now our kids don't have much of a future the way things are going.

Edited by Big Cliff

One of my favorite George Carlin quotes:

"You know how I define the economic and social classes in this country? The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there......well, the poor are there just to scare the crap out of the middle class. Keep 'em showing up at those jobs every day."