Store-bought Fish

Jonny

It's getting so we should prize our own sport-fishing catch more and more as far as eating quality is concerned.

Have you checked out the supermarket selection for frozen fish lately? Read the fine print on the back of the packages and you will find, disturbingly often, "Product of China". It's not only on fish we associate with the Far East like basa or tilapia, but on cod, haddock, salmon, sole, lots of the species we buy and associate with Canadian or American catch.

There are some "mystery fish" thrown into the mix like Product of China blue cod. What the heck is "blue cod".

There are "Highliner" processed fish products, supposedly Canadian, that also read "Product of China" when you check the fine print on the back.

I suppose these products have to pass inspection before being sold in Canada, but you can well imagine (I can!) the conditions under which these Far Eastern fish are raised, or caught, or cleaned or stored. Canadian catch and Canadian facilities could be bad enough; imagine what it's like over there.

When you catch and clean your own fish, from your own waters, you know the quality (top quality) you're getting.

Enjoy it!

(And, I would say, look for Canadian or American origin when you have to buy fish in a supermarket!)

pike and perch.JPG

That's scary. There are many Canadian companies out there that you assume products are made here. Time to get used to reading the fine print. Heck start even looking on candy wrappers and other process foods - much is coming from offshore these days!

I like my food to be as free from contaminants as possible. Not saying Canada is perfect but there are many other countries with not so good environmental records and/or reputations. Even with fish I don't eat great lakes fish often if at all and try to stick to inland lakes w/o much contimanation. Even that can be tricky, as some lakes have naturally occurring mercury for eg.

Thanks for the heads up!

When you catch and clean your own fish, from your own waters, you know the quality (top quality) you're getting

Don't always be so sure about that either Jocko !

I also find the fillets taste much better if you remove the red patch. Well honed knife and it carves right off..

That's scary. There are many Canadian companies out there that you assume products are made here. Time to get used to reading the fine print. Heck start even looking on candy wrappers and other process foods - much is coming from offshore these days!

You're right about that. I don't buy Made in China candies or confections for my grand-kids either. Partly because of quality concerns, partly because I'd rather support Canadian and American businesses.

Don't always be so sure about that either Jocko !

I also find the fillets taste much better if you remove the red patch. Well honed knife and it carves right off..

Right you are. It's a good idea to read the safe consumption booklet from the Ontario gov't. But minimal concern if you're careful, I think.

The red usually doesn't bother me. I like my pike to have more taste than pickerel; sometimes I find pickerel a little bland. (Sacrilege I know!)

I'm not sure if this is credible. But I heard it's not uncommon to raise/catch fish here and ship it over to china for processing and packaging and have it sent right back to us. Apparently it's just cheaper that way.

You could very well be right, although it makes no sense to me either. I mean when you get "Wild Pacific Salmon" and it's marked "Product of China" (I see that all the time), you wonder where it was caught. Is there a big salmon fishery in the Far East/Siberian coast/ etc? Not that I know of.

When I buy, I go to Johnnys Fresh Fish & Seafood on Bryne Dr in Barrie, so far I'm not glowing in the dark.

Some of the big supermarkets have fresh fish counters too. I wonder, if you asked would they be able to tell you where the fish came from?

I would assume that fish which is sold as fresh would be Canadian/American fish, but assuming things is often enough a dumb thing to do!

When I buy, I go to Johnnys Fresh Fish & Seafood on Bryne Dr in Barrie, so far I'm not glowing in the dark.

Ya bet yer :asshat: .

He,s got the best.Thats where I buy aswell. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

While at work saturday,I just phoned him up and ordered,2 pound lobster steamed,long neck clams steamed also picked up scallops and some of his great smoked rainbow trout. :thumbsup_anim:

Betty was happy with the seafood pasta I made and the lobster/shrimp stirfry the next day. :blush:

Edited by Misfish

Many nations have fleets of floating factories that fish outside territorial waters then bring the catch home for distribution. Such fleets fly the flags of China, Japan, Norway, Portugal, to name a few. There is nothing new in any of this. The only thing new is in being forced to actually I.D. the nation packing the fish.

A lot of the seafood that is caught in international waters off the coast of Canada/ USA are processed on board and then sold to Canada/ USA as a foreign product depending on the country of Documentation of the vessel. Some of the ships that are in Canada/ USA may have an office in China just for the tax breaks and lack of stiff rules so they can Document the vessel for the benefits. So an all Canadian crew/boat can be selling the made in China products to Canada. So hows that for thickening the plot here.

Art

So hows that for thickening the plot here.

Pretty good!

So a catch doesn't have to be landed in China and/or processed in China to be "Product of China" ?

Chinese boats can sell their catches straight from the boat to Can/Am processors?

I did not know that.

Well I do alot of C & R' date=' but I do keep a few for the table, so there is no need to buy fish in our house! [/quote']

I wish I could say the same. But we eat quite a bit of fish at my house, so I'd be keeping too many if I had to fill the demand. We supplement with store-bought fish (and of course some of it is fish - like salmon - that we can't catch for ourselves).

Edited by Jocko

Steve

You come up for a fish,you will get the best cuts to make yer own sushi... :thumbsup_anim:

I've never tried to make my own...but I sure would love to. You have knowledge or tips on this Brian?

BTW I haven't been on the ice for 3 weeks :angry: ...2 because of work and I had to cancel on a buddy this weekend cause I was sick as hell yesterday.

Hopefully we can hook up once this winter.

Basa is also a product of Vietnam, farmed on the same river that carries raw sewage and chemicals from unregulated factories........ Just seen it at Walmart... As for Tilapia, if you knew what they were fed you wouldn't eat it.....

I've never tried to make my own...but I sure would love to. You have knowledge or tips on this Brian?

BTW I haven't been on the ice for 3 weeks :angry: ...2 because of work and I had to cancel on a buddy this weekend cause I was sick as hell yesterday.

Hopefully we can hook up once this winter.

Get yer :asshat: up here this Saturday for the Tyler event. I,ll pm you later in the week.

A lot of the seafood that is caught in international waters off the coast of Canada/ USA are processed on board and then sold to Canada/ USA as a foreign product depending on the country of Documentation of the vessel. Some of the ships that are in Canada/ USA may have an office in China just for the tax breaks and lack of stiff rules so they can Document the vessel for the benefits. So an all Canadian crew/boat can be selling the made in China products to Canada. So hows that for thickening the plot here.

Art

Sorry, but the offshore vessels have offshore crews. Flags of convenience do exist, 90% of American owned bottoms use such flags as Panama, Liberia, etc... They also rely on cheap offshore crews and Lascars.

However, factory ships do all the processing from start to finish. The do not need land based facilities. Canadian fisheries have been destroyed by bureaucratic regulation and incompetence. The boys down east aren't working on Chinese or Portuguese vessels. They cost far more than the $2 a day crews used on foreign vessels.

Sorry, but the offshore vessels have offshore crews. Flags of convenience do exist, 90% of American owned bottoms use such flags as Panama, Liberia, etc... They also rely on cheap offshore crews and Lascars.

However, factory ships do all the processing from start to finish. The do not need land based facilities. Canadian fisheries have been destroyed by bureaucratic regulation and incompetence. The boys down east aren't working on Chinese or Portuguese vessels. They cost far more than the $2 a day crews used on foreign vessels.

Dont go there Bruce,this stuff pisses me off.