Store-bought Fish

Jonny

I don't even eat the fish I catch so I definitely will not be buying any at the store. I just wish I could catch some shrimp because I do enjoy those tasty little buggers!

One of my friends is a Seafood wholesale/retailer and the tricks of the trade of the dishonest are down right frightening.I won't tell you the possibilities on shrimp... just enjoy them most merchants are on the up and up and will give you a fit product.

Art

A friend of mine bought a bag of chinese "cod" fillets a little while back. He said they tried them prepared in every way possible and still chucked the remainder in the trash, it was that bad. They're a British couple so they know their cod.

NEVER have to buy fish with Lake Erie less then 10 miles away.....HOWEVER, it's the vegetables that you have to be EXTREMELY careful with when buying...don't like my veggies fertilized with human waste....

How is Erie fish for contaminants nowadays? I thought you still had to be careful how much you consume.

Veggies... you sure have a point there. Lots of produce in supermarkets comes from China now. Snow peas, garlic, a number of types of fruit, etc. Sometimes there's no alternative - i.e. it's very hard to find Can/Am garlic.

(I know Leechman will say "Grow yer own!")

How is Erie fish for contaminants nowadays? I thought you still had to be careful how much you consume.

Veggies... you sure have a point there. Lots of produce in supermarkets comes from China now. Snow peas, garlic, a number of types of fruit, etc. Sometimes there's no alternative - i.e. it's very hard to find Can/Am garlic.

(I know Leechman will say "Grow yer own!")

Lots of good produce at the farmers markets as long as you seek out the farmers and avoid the jobbers. Just need to learn the old skills of canning, preserving and stockpiling. I don't buy produce in winter because I like to know where my produce came from, and who grew it. I do know what is in the produce coming across the border, how it is processed , packed and stored.

NEVER have to buy fish with Lake Erie less then 10 miles away.....HOWEVER, it's the vegetables that you have to be EXTREMELY careful with when buying...don't like my veggies fertilized with human waste....

Bob !!! Poop is poopdunno.gif What diff does it make?Its knowing WHICH that makes it YUCKY !!!!!!rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

it's very hard to find Can/Am garlic.

Lake Erie is no different then most any other lake unless you like to eat big old lake trout......

Garlic grows in the garden and is also available growing wild here....We also have a lot of green beans every year and some are still in the deep freezer....but there a some things that don't taste the same frozen, like tomatoes... :wallbash:

This episode of Marketplace was on a couple of years ago. Your post reminded me of it and thought I would share the link here.

Product of Canada Eh?

Thanks, fishnsled... There's a LOT of good information here. I'd recommend that anybody who hasn't read it do so now.

Seems to me if they're doing that much testing of Chinese and Vietnamese fish products, you'd want to make sure to stay away from them.

There's also a section there about how the Chinese destroyed the Cdn garlic industry. GRRRRR!

Thanks, fishnsled... There's a LOT of good information here. I'd recommend that anybody who hasn't read it do so now.

Seems to me if they're doing that much testing of Chinese and Vietnamese fish products, you'd want to make sure to stay away from them.

There's also a section there about how the Chinese destroyed the Cdn garlic industry. GRRRRR!

Don't worry about the garlic. China has had a catastrophic garlic crop failure. They had buyers in Ontario paying upwards of $500 a bushel for seed stock. A lot of folks remember how they got screwed last time, and won't sell to them. Besides, Chinese garlic tends to lack the hardiness and shelf life.

.don't like my veggies fertilized with human waste....

I hear ya but where do you think those tanker trucks full of sludge from the sewage plants are heading to? Right to the farm, that's where. :w00t:

I see China on a food label and I usually drop it then and there, what is still worrysome is whare are all the ingredients in processed food coming from? From countries you don't want it to come from is the answer. You can't escape 3rd. world food unless you know the exact location your food came from. So all natural, local grown or raised and no store bought spices or additives. Even then who really knows :dunno:

I hear ya but where do you think those tanker trucks full of sludge from the sewage plants are heading to? Right to the farm, that's where. :w00t:

I see China on a food label and I usually drop it then and there, what is still worrysome is whare are all the ingredients in processed food coming from? From countries you don't want it to come from is the answer. You can't escape 3rd. world food unless you know the exact location your food came from. So all natural, local grown or raised and no store bought spices or additives. Even then who really knows :dunno:

I order all my beets from the Dwight Schrute Farm in Scranton, PA.... :rofl2: