Parking On Ice

trophypikehunter

The boys and I were chatting at the water cooler and they were asking me what I thought about Ice Parking and I said it should not be aloud, If I was to gather a crowd of people down by the water and then dump a barrel of motor oil in the Lake I would imagine these people would be angry and it could be tough getting out of there!(I live in Keswick) with all the vehicles on the ice I would think that a percentage will leak oil and other fluids on the ice but this is okay? if we did ban vehicles on the ice this could improve the Lake and the fishing..

The boys and I were chatting at the water cooler and they were asking me what I thought about Ice Parking and I said it should not be aloud, If I was to gather a crowd of people down by the water and then dump a barrel of motor oil in the Lake I would imagine these people would be angry and it could be tough getting out of there!(I live in Keswick) with all the vehicles on the ice I would think that a percentage will leak oil and other fluids on the ice but this is okay? if we did ban vehicles on the ice this could improve the Lake and the fishing..

I'm sure this thread will open up a can of worms but I can't resisit. I'll take the first poke at it. So does that mean that all motorized vehicles would be banned from the ice like snowmobiles,Atv's, modified snow machines,ice augers,generators and or anything that runs on gas using oil additives ??? Just wondering :huh:

I'm sure this thread will open up a can of worms but I can't resisit. I'll take the first poke at it. So does that mean that all motorized vehicles would be banned from the ice like snowmobiles,Atv's, modified snow machines,ice augers,generators and or anything that runs on gas using oil additives ??? Just wondering :huh:

agreed

how can you stop everything that has oil in it from being on the lake

and the native people on islands would be pissed

and ice water, is there a difference?

so no oil on the water too..no outboard motors

airplanes can't land on water

no more shipping lanes.......fire boat is going to take a long time to get to a cottage on an island when they have to paddle their fire boat there

I know there are lots of idiots out there who would not think twice about leaving crap all over the ice, but i like to believe that anyone who loves fishing enough to invest the 1000's of dollars necessary to pursue the sport, would take the time to leave as little traces as possible behind them in the environment.

Where parking is part of guided ice fishing or organized events, the organisers should be responsible for any cleanups required due to leakage of any kind.

As far as outboards, i think most of us keep our machines finely tuned enough, and would try and clean up any spils as much as possible.

But then again......maybe i'm just naivedunno.gif

I understand your concern but parking is a huge issue around Simcoe. Driving out to park on the ice is kind of a must in some areas. The municipality (residents) has forced the issue with no parking signs. How would we access the lake if we couldn't park on it?

Dan O.

parking on the ice doest do any harm, if the leaky cars parked on the roadways beside the lake it would carry the same oil into the water when the snow thawed

I agree if cars were parked hundreds of yards away from the lake the water run off from rain and melting snow flushes all the crap into the lake anyway.

But BOTH actions DO HARM the lake.

Its up to us. I mean if you have a leaky car, you KNOW you have a leaky car. Up to you to choose not to park on the ice.Even on land near water, the RESPONSIBLE thing to do is drop cardboard under your vehicule, and take it with you for disposal when you leave. Makes sense...nodunno.gif

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm definitely thinking that runoff from the keswick and other towns on simcoe would be more detrimental to the lake than the cars that park on it...

Lets just ban human beings from Earth that way we can't pollute anything directly or indirectly...

Given that i am an Alien i should be allowed to fish anywhere i please.. LMAO !!!

Banning parking on the ice lmao..

There are bigger things to worry about.. Like the salt issue, and runoff during the thaw...

Why I always get a good chuckle out of the Lake Association going on about water quality and how they're gonna save the environment single handedly... as they all run around the lake in an old boat with a 1950's 2 stroke on it, that got handed down to them from Grandpa (just like the cottage they can't afford the property taxes for)

LOL Bill.. I leave no trace unless I miss the filler neck with the fuel can!! I have an oil seperator on my engine breather and dump any residue elsewhere. I have absolutely no oil leaks..

Unless you can contain your exhaust you leave pollution wherever you go including the water. Oh, I'm sorry....it now called carbon foot print, not pollution... :whistling::rolleyes:

On the other hand mother earth has been around a LONG time before any of us even thought about parking a big SUV on the ice and has survived quite nicely and will continue to do so.... :whistling:

Well that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back because OP decided to go trolling today...sucks.gif