Vacations??? Am I the only one?

jedimaster

Am I the only one that dreads the though of spending 2000 dollars to sit at a beach for a week?

I really have no interest in goin to a beach. I don't even like going to beaches here let alone flying 5000 miles to go to one for an entire week.

I would rather go fishing for a week or sit at home an tinke on the boat or the jeep, or buy a bunch of new fishing rods...

Anyway I think I am in a losing battle here... Just thought I would rant.

Ps the leafs suck

Edited by jedimaster

i think the exact same way. i have a buddy at work who spends thousands and thousands to go to disney twice a year, he wouldnt THINK of heading north for something relaxing. hell, the guy has never been north of barrie and can say "theres much more to see at disney than northern ontario" i have no idea how he can do the same thing over and over and over.

Well I don't get it either. We have a very small little cottage in Bobcaygeon and I am Happy as a clam there and for 7 months of the year we go pretty much every weekend.

But Debbe has the travel bug and her passport and we have the means to travel so she really wants me to have the travel bug too. The desire is just not there for me. She just did a trip to Jamaica with one of her girlfriends...her 2nd girls trip without me in 27 years. She had a great time...but when she did a slideshow of her trip and we sat down and viewed them together...she would say...this was fun...but I'm not sure you would have enjoyed it...and OH and this was fun..but I'm not sure you would have enjoyed that either. After 30plus years of knowing each other she knows that I'm really not wired for a trip like that.

We have an agreement. She can take one of her friends and go on a nice trip every 3 years. I have done my Fly in Fishing trips with the boys and she will do her southern sun holidays with the girls. We will see how that works out.

But she has a passport application on the dresser for me to fill out......

i think the exact same way. i have a buddy at work who spends thousands and thousands to go to disney twice a year, he wouldnt THINK of heading north for something relaxing. hell, the guy has never been north of barrie and can say "theres much more to see at disney than northern ontario" i have no idea how he can do the same thing over and over and over.

I admit to being a Disney junkie. The place is ever evolving, so things are always changing. Bass fishing there and through the area is also good. Once every 3-4 years is good enough though.

Lying around the beach just tain't me. I need to be doing, and there is a lot of Canada still to do. :canadian:

You're doing it wrong if you don't like vacations. :whistling:

I base my vacations around fishing. whether it be up North, back East, in Alaska or somewhere tropical it's all about the fishing. wink2.gif

I may take a day or two to chill and drink rum coolers on the beach when fishing tropical though. :lol:

I base my vacations around fishing. whether it be up North, back East, in Alaska or somewhere tropical it's all about the fishing. wink2.gif

I have thought about that approach for a tropical vacation with Debbe. But I am contend with the fishing I have here. So I see no need to spent extra $$$ to get special gear and licences etc etc to fish for a few hours here and there on a one week trip.

My better half has a strong dislike for the sun and heat as I do. She likes to come with me when I rent cabins. Problem is this, she loathes camping and I have a love for it. I want to start doing a fair deal of camping as my boy is almost two. Looks like I might have to wait a few years until he is old enough so I can take him myself.

Oh well at least she does not want to drag me to the carribean to sit in people's pee at the swim up bar.

I admit to being a Disney junkie.

Me too. I'm like a little kid down there. Unfortunately we've gotten out of that mode since we've been going to Cancun every January. I'm hoping that our new grandson who's due any day now will be my excuse for some more trips back to Mickey Land. I even enjoy the drive down there. Not so much the drive home.

And you're right. It's smack in the middle of great bass fishing country. In fact it seems to me a member here wrote about hiring a guide and doing some fishing there a few years back.

Sure, it's tacky and cheesy and expensive, but dayum - it's fun.

JF

I have to do the beach thing every year, and, unfortunately, it's more than $2000. However, while she lays on the beach, I take a Boston Whaler out and catch bonita, spanish mackeral, and barracuda. A couple of times during the trip she will let me go down to the dock at night and cast a fly rod for tarpon (had 7 hookups last year, but only one landed).

Also, this trip buys me at least two trips to the French River.

Is it worth it......heck yeah!!

OH I am with you..

my 2 step daughters and their hubbies go twice a year????? I just shake my head , especially when they talk about their 40 and 50 year mortgage.. :wallbash: Nothing like spending 350k on a house you owe 150k for in 15 years, let alone 40-50 years

I can see you spending 2k or 4k a year if you have paid off your house and maybe already own a cottage? I'd rather pay down the mortgage or if it was paid I would rather my own property to relax on the beach.

At the very least the money would still be there in 20 years in equity.

Last , many places I'd rather see and do here in CANADA , never seen the mountains in bc the west or east coast, let alone the northern lights in north west territories the list goes on and on.. :unsure:

But don't wanna go :( glad I al no the only one. I guess I can just get drunk and watch all the girls in bikini's for a week, but for some reason I think I would still rather be in Algonquin fishing for brookies

If it's a choice between one or the other, then I'd go north too.

Why can't you do both?

Me too. I'm like a little kid down there. Unfortunately we've gotten out of that mode since we've been going to Cancun every January. I'm hoping that our new grandson who's due any day now will be my excuse for some more trips back to Mickey Land. I even enjoy the drive down there. Not so much the drive home.

And you're right. It's smack in the middle of great bass fishing country. In fact it seems to me a member here wrote about hiring a guide and doing some fishing there a few years back.

Sure, it's tacky and cheesy and expensive, but dayum - it's fun.

JF

You can fish a lot of the ponds around the hotels. The city of Orlando stocks over 20 lakes within the city itself with public access. Walk out the hotel door and throw some baits while the Mrs sleeps in. Pretty neat having the lake to myself and my own cheering section.

Not only do I not care for laying around on a beach, it's that I have spent money that would have bought me something tangible.

Beach, up north somewhere, whatever.

I've always been of the opinion, if you're going to spend money, spend it on travel. Waaay better than spending it on toys.

Too many people never get to experience anything, and not 'cause they can't afford it.

They live in a bubble, Eat, work, sleep, and pretty soon they're dead and have done nothing.

yup

went south sat on the beach for 3 hours and said done that ,now what

everyone else was happy to sit back and sip on drinks......

no one wanted to go fishing......bought a cheap rod and tackle..fished off a pier, tried some surf fishing..didn't catch much but didn't have to sit on a beach for 6 days

Come on April 5th! Dominican Republic here I come!

I love heading south! and I also love to fish, I book a charter and off I go, it is the highlight of my trip!

fourth year to the DR.... when I win super seven, that is where you will find me.

G

DSCF0037-1.jpg

DSCF0042-1.jpg

Edited by Gerritt