Vacations??? Am I the only one?

jedimaster

LOL Mike, indeed it is! I took that shot while walking the beach on my way to the market...(where they gouge tourists like me!)

I love the Dominican, the culture, the lifestyle and of course the fishing!

That said, it makes me appreciate what we have here in Canada

Did the whole Disney thing 2 years ago, all the parks got the daughter all done up at Cinderellas castle etc. Expensive but very enjoyable with the kids and wife. Done Aruba , Cuba, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, don't just sit on the beach we rent jeeps on hit the roads, horseback riding in the mountains, deep sea fishing, bass fishing and a little scuba and snorkelling. Very enjoyable, to just lie there I might as well stay on the couch. This year it looks like a family trip in the summer up towards Gogama, got to change it up and I want the kids to appreciate the outdoor activities available to us here in Ontario.

My wife, daughter and I almost went on our first "hot vacation" to Florida..... until I got locked out at work... the vacation fund became the lockout fund :wallbash::wallbash: ...Our honeymoon was our last real vacation 15 years ago...Oh well, the mortgage is being paid, hydro's still on and the credit cards are paid off AND we still have food in the fridge....

I haven't even thought about going anywhere for that amount of money to just sit on a beach. I find it a much better time pulling into a campsite, hiking,fishing and just enjoying the outdoors.

Mind you I have been extremely lucky to have a family cottage on the beach

Beach, up north somewhere, whatever.

I've always been of the opinion, if you're going to spend money, spend it on travel. Waaay better than spending it on toys.

Too many people never get to experience anything, and not 'cause they can't afford it.

They live in a bubble, Eat, work, sleep, and pretty soon they're dead and have done nothing.

Actually Mike, I rarely buy toys. And if I do it's because I use them and they are rarely new ones.

I like to spend it here.

P1030520.jpg

The boathouse I rebuilt, the bunkie on the right was rebuilt and the cottage has had several upgrades. Last summer I built the stone sidewalk, and a few other items. Just depends on what you like to do I guess.

Do I live in a bubble? No, I don't think I do. I have traveled, just don't care for it.

Beach, up north somewhere, whatever.

I've always been of the opinion, if you're going to spend money, spend it on travel. Waaay better than spending it on toys.

Too many people never get to experience anything, and not 'cause they can't afford it.

They live in a bubble, Eat, work, sleep, and pretty soon they're dead and have done nothing.

Well said Mike the wife and I made a decision a few years ago to start to travel more and while she certainly does more travel than I I am starting to get the bug more and more, I can`t wait to see the Sistine Chapel,the Vatican and the Pyramids and so much more in a couple of years.

Can`t wait to see Richter lake either!!! :Gonefishing::clapping:

Personally you have to try both. Last summer was up at Ivanhoe river during the hot spell, 3 weeks ago on the ice at BOQ - 20, and in two weeks will be in the Grand Caymens and Cozumal.

Been to 4 islands down south and I also cannot just sit around. To see and learn thier culture is a life experience. Especially when the white stuff is still here on the gound.

Irishfield, St Martin rocks !!

When we go on vacation it always feels like there's a plan, there's something we have to do, etc. It's just not as relaxing as I always hope and before you know the trip is over, wallet is empty and your boarding the plane on a dreadful Sunday knowing you're back to work the next day.

I just like being secluded more, up north, fishing & going at my own pace. Every trip seems different, often an adventure with real stories that isn't about how you lost your luggage but how the "Big one got away". Sure sippin' cocktails on the beach is good times, but definitely not something I enjoy doing every year. My wife on the other hand would have a different story....

Edited by Governator

Friends of ours go on vacations ALL the time.

For years they kept bugging the wife and i to go with them.

I felt the same way most of the people here replied.

The grass is green, the sky is blue,we have that here too.

So the answer was NO!

Well that was until Pete told me that the beach, that the resort was on was TOPLESS! :o

When do we leave?????????

Spent a week in the Dominican,on the beach,horse back riding, on the beach,kayaking, on the beach.

Did i mention the beach was TOPLESS? :whistling:

I would love to post the pictures here but i think Roy would kick my butt so hard that i would have to take off my shirt to poop.

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Friends of ours go on vacations ALL the time.

For years they kept bugging the wife and i to go with them.

I felt the same way most of the people here replied.

The grass is green, the sky is blue,we have that here too.

So the answer was NO!

Well that was until Pete told me that the beach, that the resort was on was TOPLESS! :o

When do we leave?????????

Spent a week in the Dominican,on the beach,horse back riding, on the beach,kayaking, on the beach.

Did i mention the beach was TOPLESS? :whistling:

I would love to post the pictures here but i think Roy would kick my butt so hard that i would have to take off my shirt to poop.

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Winner. End thread.

I always thought I would never enjoy trips down south. I've always enjoyed fishing trips up north, and got a group of friends to go up for 6years in a row. We usually go to remote Quebec, and spend better parts of 1grand each for the whole week(cabin&boat 500-600$/gas 20$/travel 80-100$/gear some spend hundreds some spend 50$ /food 60-80$steaksx3/smoked chops,burgers sausages/beer 100-200$). Finally went south for a friends wedding(missed one a few years earlier as I spent my money of fishing). This year, my wife and I did our honeymoon in Mexico during the summer. For the 1000-1500$ to fly to a tropical resort is great. The all you can drink and eat is fantastic. They are so relaxing and the excursions are fun! Hate the shopping down south! I regret missing out on the one wedding, and am planning for more trips south over the next few years. I just need budget them in with a yearly 1 grand fishing trip too! Fished in Mexico but didn't catch anything. Rained most of the week in Dominican so we didn't fish. One of these years it'd be nice to catch a baracuda, maui maui, or sail fish!!!!

Wayne,

That pic's in St Marten, right? I also sat down in there last year (January) and had a carrona.....too funny. Didn't think of taking a pic though.

Yes Gerry.. the Sunset on Jan 20th

stmaartenjan2010170.jpg

..but any store will do..

stmaartenjan2010206.jpg

Marteen has become a tad too busy.. we hadn't been there since '91 and I don't think we'll be back.

I have no desire to sit on a beach for a week, let alone have to pay thousands of dollars for it.

Last time I did it was on my honeymoon 15 years ago. I wanted to go to Banff, she wanted the Caribbean.

I ended up in Barbados for a week. Damn !!! rolleyes.gif

Spent as little time as I could on the beach. I managed to go out on a fishing charter one morning, but the fishing was terrible.

Ocean was very rough that day. Only 1 Wahoo among 4 anglers. Did some snorkeling at the resort and walking around the area.

The food at the resort was great. Arrived home 10 to 12 pounds heavier.

Still haven't lost it. wink.gif

I've lived in Canada for all my life and have only seen a fraction of this beautiful country.

Looking forward to visiting both the east and west coasts at some point and doing some fishing, hunting and sightseeing.

Lots to see in-between too.

I have no desire to sit on a beach for a week, let alone have to pay thousands of dollars for it.

Last time I did it was on my honeymoon 15 years ago. I wanted to go to Banff, she wanted the Caribbean.

Compromise.

Personally I like the idea of doing it all.

Our honeymoon we spent a week in Cuba, were back home for 2 days, then we headed north for a 1 week fly in trip.

My girlfriend and friends think im sick in the head for choosing up north over a tropical vacation. It is assuring to know that im not the only one :w00t:. Although, I did give in this year as were planning a trip for April.

dude Pm me! we will own the DR! lol

Spent as little time as I could on the beach. I managed to go out on a fishing charter one morning, but the fishing was terrible.

Ocean was very rough that day. Only 1 Wahoo among 4 anglers. Did some snorkeling at the resort and walking around the area.

The food at the resort was great. Arrived home 10 to 12 pounds heavier.

Still haven't lost it. wink.gif

I've lived in Canada for all my life and have only seen a fraction of this beautiful country.

Looking forward to visiting both the east and west coasts at some point and doing some fishing, hunting and sightseeing.

Lots to see in-between too.

I vacationed in Barbados a couple of times.

About a 15 minute walk from my hotel was a brackish swamp full of tilapia and tarpon!!! :good::good:

When I wasn't there I was casting off the beach and when I got thirsty I would amble up to the bar for a rum cooler. :whistling:

Did you manage a trip on the Jolly Roger while you were there? Best $45 I ever spent!!!!!!

a four or five hour cruise with swimming, dancing and a steak dinner with all the drinks you could handle to wash 'er all down with. Been on that thing about 1/2 dozen times!!!! partytime2.gif