snowmobile slams into ice hut on Chemong Lake

chessy

A big cruiser boat hit the causeway a few years back, and I think it was last year or 2 years ago a boat collided with a dock in the same area, accidents happen when stupidity over-rides intellegence these accidents occured at night as well, and a little common sense on the drivers part would eliminate 95% of all accidents, thats not the first snow mobile to hit a hut and it wont be the last.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

You got a permit?

I'm likely riding this side this weekend.

no permit. but the only section of groomed trail i ride is on a road with historical access rights so i don't bother. in the future i'd like to get a pass but i need more friends with sleds first!

i hear the yank side is the way to go for riding. 40 bucks and hella good trail system... not too mention the friday all you can eat crab and prime rib at bay mills! i'm guessing that's where you were last week? :whistling:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Fast boats, Fast sleds, Fast motorcycles.... NO ONE gets on or in one without knowing they are not safe. Its sad people got hurt but to be honest with you I am just happy to hear noone was in the hut.

Its sad anyone was hurt but its not like these people don't know what they are getting into when they squeeze the throttle.

I would hazard a guess that the ice hut was moving 0km/h when this accident occured.

Like some else here has already said; fish huts and sleds have been sharing the ice for many years.

The wooden seasonal huts haven’t changed much over the years; but the sleds sure have. Back in the 60’s & 70’s a sled was considered a fast machine, if it could hit 50 or 60 mph and that be flat out, with a five mile run (if the motor didn’t blow trying LOL); today’s sleds, that’s barely off idle.

There aint enough reflective tape in the world; if the person driving the sled hasn’t a clue or doesn’t care that he’s endangering himself or the people around him.

Don’t the club sponsored snowmobile trails have speed limits and rules that need to be followed; why is the ice a free for all?

Yes things can still happen at lower speeds; but you have one heck of a lot more reaction time.

A sled when driven by an idiot on the hard water, is no different then that same idiot driving a jet ski on the soft water; just not as many huts to hit. LOL

Dan.

no permit. but the only section of groomed trail i ride is on a road with historical access rights so i don't bother. in the future i'd like to get a pass but i need more friends with sleds first!

i hear the yank side is the way to go for riding. 40 bucks and hella good trail system... not too mention the friday all you can eat crab and prime rib at bay mills! i'm guessing that's where you were last week? whistling.gif

You kill me Doc !!!!!!!!!!!rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Reflectors would be nice on the ice shack but will it cure all accidents...we all know that's a big NO....

Can the ice shack owner be held financially responsible...gee I hope NOT..

I have said it here many times...your government is too intrusive on it's citizens and my government is trying to catch up ASAP....we may even pass you guys... :wallbash:

I agree the last sentence in that article was totally unnecessary...someone there has a hidden agenda.

What next....high speed sledder hits moose/deer/bear/racoon on ice which causes multitude of injuries to the two riders....Ontario now considering reflective tape on all wildlife.... :whistling:

BTW I hope all parties involved have a complete recovery and then are required to give seminars on the perils of high speed sledding at night or during the day.

Several years ago, in very much the same area, a sledder ran right into the causeway (pretty sure it wasn't moving either). He became airborne and landed the sled right into the guardrail on the far side of the road (a few more feet and he might have cleared the whole thing). Apparently he had gotten turned around and thought he was headed away from the causeway, he was driving too fast at night, overdrove the headlight and couldn't react in time. He survived more or less OK, the snowmobile not so much.

Believe it or not...this happened years before they allowed ice-fishing on Chemong. Go figure...

OK here goes nuthin...."Skeeter" and "common sense" in the same sentence...

Skeeter seems to have common sense...when it comes to safety you shouldnt have to be mandated it should just come natural..way to go Skeets...

have you ever noticed they only put railings up after someone falls off a cliff?

Made me think of this:

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend,Common Sense, who has been

with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth

records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as

having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;

- Life isn't always fair;

- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than

you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing

regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual

harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using

mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student,

only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that

they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to

administer sun lotion or a paracetamol to a student; but could not inform parents

when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and

criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in

your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a

steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly

awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife,

Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

I Know My Rights

I Want It Now

Someone Else Is To Blame

I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still

remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Hmmmmmm....

I can't figure out how this is even News :dunno: :dunno: Accidents happen all the time :unsure:

It's what the news media does best. Try to generate controversy over an event, thus generating more "news" to "report on", thus keeping them with fresh material all the time.

As you can tell, I have a fairly low opinion of the "Fourth Estate" in our present day.

Edited by Old Man

What used be a blurb in the local paper and a mention on the local news now gets spread by the net on forums just like this.

Twenty years ago, it would have got very much the same coverage here in Peterborough, it's still very much a small town, many news days are slow, but that would have been the extent of it.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

You kill me Doc !!!!!!!!!!!rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Laugh if you want, This buffet is no laughing matter, it's epic! 19.99 for King crab, rare prime rib, and 1 dollar cans of miller! There's some things the yanks just know how to do right!

Everyone should do whatever they can for safety reasons. Maybe we wouldn't have the government telling us what to do all time if we all used common sense.

No blame here, just an accident!

All huts should have reflectors on each side and snowmobile drivers should watch for unknown dangers on the ice, then maybe we wouldn't read about this kind of thing.

My son almost ran into an unmarked hut on Pigeon and his headlights are amazing.

I remember years ago on Simcoe seeing a snowmobile crashing into a hut in some heavy fog, it was a good thing no one was in the hut. The snowmobiles back then were nothing like the ones today and that crash was scary.

By the same extension of logic, you should also have reflective strips on your house. Cars crash into houses every year.

All clothing should also be manufactured with sewn in reflectors for the same reason. Pedestrians are run over all the time.

All anybody wants today is more and more unenforceable regs and laws.

Jsut look at all the unenforced rules for bicycles.

Just another costly layer of bureaucracy to protect idiots.

If you can't see an icehut while driving a snowmobile, you are either not paying attention or driving to fast.

It's not like the ice hut jumped out in front of them. When a vehicle hits a stationary object, it's usually the person behind the wheel that is at fault.

Speed is the Issue. End of story sleeping_02.gif

clapping.gif Got that one right. Skidoos in the winter, seadoos in the summer.They are made to go fast, and thats just what people do with them.End of storey.If you dont want these things to happen, force the companies to make em so they cant go fast.dunno.gif

There was a story on the news about this at 6:00 tonight that I was fortunate enough to catch. Both the owner of the hut and the sled had their say. The owner of the hut was apologetic and mentioned that he was glad no one was hurt more seriously. Seemed like a good guy.

The driver of the sled said he was going 50 km/h and that it was windy and he couldn't see the hut. The hut had reflectors on it (red ones) and had solar lights on top. Apparently they weren't on as the driver said so. Apparently he knew the lights weren't on, but he didn't see the hut at all before he hit it..uh huh...The hut was also registered with the MNR. The driver said the only thing that saved him and his passenger was the fact the hut was made out of "cheap" press board and not real plywood like most people use. He went on to say that the government should regulate huts, "like they do in BC" and make lights mandatory 24/7. Why anyone would need lights during the day is beyond me. He also said the reflectors should have been larger and that there should have been more reflectors and they should be larger and on "all 4 corners." The news story was clear that they were already there on each surface.

Just from what this guy said, anyone could tell he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, if you know what I mean.

This guy was just going too fast, even if he was going 50 (probably much faster by the looks of what was left of the sled) that's too fast in apparently windy conditions where you can't see a hut. Also, there's no way he could know the area as there are a lot of huts in that space. What happened to common sense and knowing your trails when snowmobiling?

Anyway - this guy deserves no respect or sympathy, his passenger maybe as an unwilling participant that was injured. People need to really smarten up.

I just fear this incident will be used by the naysayers as a reason there shouldn't be huts/ice fishing allowed at all.