Walmart

http://ca.yahoo.com/_ylt=AhX9xwy6MgPG4OP9UqrzcwIt17V_;_ylu=X3oDMTJwaG83OHUwBGNwb3MDNwRlZAMxBGcDNmM1MjM3MTQyMDk2Yjg4YzQxZmU4MzcxMDk5YjcyMWEEaW50bANjYQRzZWMDaW5fbmV3cwRzbGsDbndzLXRpdGxlBHRlc3QDNzE1/SIG=13lovblbk/EXP=1296137229/**http%3A//ca.news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-canada-plans-open-40-supercentres-next-20110126-040541-656.html

Where I work we do ALL there printing for them. Our boss called a departmental meeting yesterday and asked that we commit to at least one overtime shift every weekend for at least the next month to deal with the volume we will be getting from A new store opening.

This morning I read the above link on Yahoo. Looks like it's going to be much more overtime then a month's worth. Anybody wanna buy some of my ice fishing gear? Cause it looks like it won't be getting out of the basement much more this winter :angry:

I'm happy for the work...but how do they keep doing it? Love them or hate them. Whatever it is they are doing...they sure are doing it right. If we had them for a customer from the time I started with the company...I probably could have retired 10 years ago

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I rarely turn down OT myself; however, I have the freedom to do so whenever I choose. So do you.

Another option is to ask your boss about banking your OT hours. For every hour of OT you work you get 1.5 hours paid time off at a later time. If you put in about 26 hours of OT you are owed a week off with pay. You have to be compensated for OT hours worked at a minimum of 1.5 times your regular rate. Your boss doesn't have to give you the option of banking hours or paying them out, but he has to do at least one.

I bet there aren't too many Walmart employees who would list "too much over time" as a big problem they have.

I rarely turn down OT myself; however, I have the freedom to do so whenever I choose. So do you.

Another option is to ask your boss about banking your OT hours. For every hour of OT you work you get 1.5 hours paid time off at a later time. If you put in about 26 hours of OT you are owed a week off with pay. You have to be compensated for OT hours worked at a minimum of 1.5 times your regular rate. Your boss doesn't have to give you the option of banking hours or paying them out, but he has to do at least one.

I bet there aren't too many Walmart employees who would list "too much over time" as a big problem they have.

Thats why I enjoy seeing those 36+ hours extra on my pay.Lots of hours,but money in pocket.

All the above I already know. We have a good crew at work and a great boss...so when he needs us to pitch in... we do. And when we need a favor in return he almost always helps us out.

I just threw this on the board to let my fishing friends know that my winter weekends just got messed up again this winter. But it's an inconvenience I don't mind.

Walmart is what it is. I can only appreciate what they do for me.

Not alot of places to work for in small towns when all the local shops lay off and close up the doors you gotta work somewhere. I know in keswick allot of local stores have been hit pretty hard by wallmart opening up.

Aren't the big box stores just a sign of the times? How often right here on OFC do we see posts asking for tips on where to get the best prices on gear, boats and motors? How is that supportive of the local small retailer?

The majority of surviving (even succeeding) local retailers are probably part of a buying collective for purchasing power and better pricing. That's already a move in the direction of consolidation under a major label.

I can understand why employees and owners of small retailers are upset at the idea of the Walmarts moving in but for every one of them how many locals are pleased to have greater selection and cheaper prices?

I'm afraid it's a losing battle.

JF

Aren't the big box stores just a sign of the times? How often right here on OFC do we see posts asking for tips on where to get the best prices on gear, boats and motors? How is that supportive of the local small retailer?

The majority of surviving (even succeeding) local retailers are probably part of a buying collective for purchasing power and better pricing. That's already a move in the direction of consolidation under a major label.

I can understand why employees and owners of small retailers are upset at the idea of the Walmarts moving in but for every one of them how many locals are pleased to have greater selection and cheaper prices?

JF

It,s like you said,best deal.A couple of bucks here and there ok,but when I can go to WW and get fat rap jigs for 4.99 and the local is charging 8, thats a big savings when your buying 4 or so of them.HT rod and reel combo 14 bucks,25 else where.Sad they are in tough,but like said,losing battle.

JF

Oh I agree John, it would definitely seem to be a losing battle and once all the local manufacturing jobs are gone where else can you afford to shop?

For my part I will never set foot in a Walmart store. I will ask however (rhetorically) what % of their inventory is American made?

Hey Walmart fills a niche market and they employ a lot of people that well lets face it may be unemployable for anything else.

I am sure there are a lot of people working there that appreciate the 10.25 an hour like seniors looking to supplement their pensions,you take away Walmart where are these people going to work?

I myself look forward to becoming a Walmart greeter one day!!! :sarcasm:

Oh I agree John, it would definitely seem to be a losing battle and once all the local manufacturing jobs are gone where else can you afford to shop?

For my part I will never set foot in a Walmart store. I will ask however (rhetorically) what % of their inventory is American made?

Chris,you could ask the same about all the big stores.Canadian tire aint no dif.Future shop?Does anyone call a tv repair guy anymore? Hell,is there any? :sarcasm:

Must be nice to have OT....even if I'm busy I have to ask f permission for OT...

Don't sweat it...I think that's the case for most people. There are not a lot of employers that offer their employees unlimited OT to be worked at their discriction. Having to ask, or more often...waiting to be asked, is the norm.

Dunno. Is it much less than what you buy at your local shop?

JF