Small SUV's - opinions

scugpg

I might be in the market soon for a small SUV so I was wondering what you guys are happy with? Test drove a couple escapes yesterday but open to a Rav4 and a few others.

I'll be pulling a small tinny but I imagine I will end up with a larger 16ft tinny or side console at some point. Boat will probably be less than 1500lbs. So I'm kinda stuck on whether to go with the bigger motor and/or 2wd or AWD.

Any advice or experience with this scenario would be appreciated :)

Edited by scugog

2 man flip up hut, side console boat....

any type of towing and, I mean any type go, with a bare minimum of a V6. 4 cyl with all the weight of the suv will be bad on gas, my wife has a 4cyl Tucson and she is regretting not getting the V6, (and she doesn't tow anything)

4wd is great for our SW ont winters and that extra juice on a steep boat launch

Tucson has been a decent vehicle so far (3 1/2 years old)

jjcanoe

Well, I had a Nissan Frontier crew cab and loved it, it would pull anything, selectable 4WD, Lo and High range and the gas milage was quite good.

I have also had a Nissan X-Trail, again not bad milage and good towing ability although not nearly as good as the Frontier was.

4WD or AWD are really handy both on winter roads and on ramps. Selectable will save you gas money when it isn't needed.

Right now I am driving a Subaru Forester AWD. Very comfortable, handles well, I haven't tried to tow anything too heavy, my ATV which is about 600 lbs but you wouldn't even know it was there. Gas milage isn't that good but comparable I guess for an AWD.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as far as "small" suv's go, i haven't like one more than the hyundai sante fe.

now my father, mother, aunt/uncle, sister, and best fishing chum all drive one, and none have any mechanical issue other than a brake job.

also, the full heated seat warmers is by far the greatest thing after a cold day of ice fishing!

Don't over look the subaru forester's. Great vehicle. Get a turbo and you can haul your boat around with ease. I tow a 16ft deep and wide, fully loaded, with no issues at all. The thing will go anywhere!! Take a look at the reviews. The only downfall is gas mileage, but that's what ya get with AWD.

S.

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser and couldn't be happier with it. I tow my friends boats, my ATV all around and it's awesome. Another plus is it fits my fish trap guide in the back. :) It does have the selectable 2wd or 4wd option....along with the locking diff and A-TRAC which basically transfers power to the wheels that aren't spinning. It has the 4 litre V6, 245hp engine which is more then enough power. I've taken in back lake fishing/camping and last year the family drove to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and PEI......a 6000km trip with no problems.

p1020357g.jpg

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by ckrb2007

Get a Jeep Rubicon, lift 'er up a good half a foot and slap a set of 36 inch Super Swampers on there. 2WD, 4W high, 4W low, locking front and rear dif...all on demand. Tow whatever you want.

You have to forego decent gas mileage. But you can also forego the presence of actual roads.

I might be in the market soon for a small SUV so I was wondering what you guys are happy with? Test drove a couple escapes yesterday but open to a Rav4 and a few others.

I'll be pulling a small tinny but I imagine I will end up with a larger 16ft tinny or side console at some point. Boat will probably be less than 1500lbs. So I'm kinda stuck on whether to go with the bigger motor and/or 2wd or AWD.

Any advice or experience with this scenario would be appreciated :)

Find a used X-Trail

I own one.. a very underrated vehicle.. tows 2000lb and is a little snow machine..

plenty if utility. LOVE IT

I drove an edge on the weekend and really didn't like it.

l dont mind it at all...but l still like the 4x4 v6 Escape better.Your buying a new boat? let me know what your going to do with your old boat..im looking at getting a 14 footer for small lakes like fanshawe and wildwood...

I LOVE my 2004 Explorer Sportrac. 0123001636-1.jpg

Bigger box would be great but pulls everything I have (utility trailer for bike/sled, and 17' alum boat package) with ease. Great 4 wheel drive and lots of room in the back seat for my boys (booster seat and child seat) and sometimes my wife too when the dog gets shotgun lol. Now, my one complaint....It is maxed at 16" tires. You would have to lengthen the axles or put a super lift kit into it to go bigger.

I've got no complaints about my 2010 Escape. Only options on it are V6 and 4WD. 240HP is plenty of power for a small SUV.

Haven't tried towing with it and don't have the tow package so I can't help you there, but it shouldn't have any trouble pulling a small boat.

On a side note, the traction and stability control likes to kick in immediately when things start to go sideways. It works great and puts power down to all 4 wheels, but it's not as fun as my old YJ.

Well I did some driving and researching and I decided that I want to go with a 4cyl 4x4 model. I have it down to:

Chevy Eqinox/GMC Terrain

Ford Escape

Mitsubishi Outlander

Do you guys know anything about the Mitsubishi line of vehicles? Really liked this vehicle but kinda shy to that brand. Escape is a proven design, but really like the new Terrain and the direct injection motor.