Target coming to Canada

ColdH20guy

So I guess everyone has heard the news that Target has bought up Zellers in Canada for 1.8 billion or so but they wont be changing anything up for quite awhile. I have been to Target but cant remember what their sports/fishing dept is like..Zellers has pretty much dried up in that regard,

People are wondering if the product will be the same as the US stores...time will tell I guess..

Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes...alll we need now are Olive Garden Restaurant's back!!

LOL - we had Frank Veters Pizza here in St. Catharines about 25 - 30 years ago - didn't last to long and closed up

And isen't there a Olive Garden in Hamilton ( maybe closed up now to )

Tracker (Don) Gonefishing.gif

There was an olive garden at the university plaza in dundas.dunno.gif if its still there.

Yah... it would be about 30 years Don.. maybe 31. My class advisor use to take our entire 4th year class (was only 7 of us left!) there every Friday afternoon for Super Steins and pizza. His generosity went a long way to gain our respect and to attend his classes faithfully. I still have two of those fishbowls around here somewhere... my sister carried a BIG purse in those days. lol

There are still Olive Gardens out west in Manitoba, Alberta and BC. They are part of the Darden Franchise chain which also operate Eastside Mario's, Red Lobster and Longhorn Steakhouse to name just a few of their brands.

Hopefully Target can revive Zellers.

Hopefully Target can revive Zellers.

The Zeller's name of the 220+ stores is going to turn to Target on the 200 stores they want. HBC is selling the prime stores to Target. I hope they bring in the sports (fishing) section to take on Wally-world. Oh and it's pronounced "Tar-Jay" for all you folks not in the know... :whistling:

This is a good thing, for consumers and employees.

I left the company in November after 18 years; the writing had been on the wall for a while. It used to be a great place to work but in the last 5-6 years, its gone downhill. Budget cuts, downsizing, layoffs and outsourcing have left virtually every department handcuffed.

There will be some management/transportation attrition but I'm betting there will be more jobs in the long run when everything shakes out.

For consumers; better selection at low prices, better supply chain management, customer service/experience priorities. These guys know what they're doing.

As for fishing; if they only stock red/white bobbers it will be an improvement over Zellers!

Target's fishing dept in Buffalo was craptacular. Hopefully that one store was not a representation of all others.

Nope, all Target fishing depts are a waste of floor space.

Now if it's true about Cabela's coming to Barrie I may just have to apply for my Canadian citizenship... :clapping:

Chris have faith.Cabelas is coming to Barrie,,,,,, :worthy:

I hear you Brian. How about turning the Old Barrie fairgrounds into a 2 store business. Cabela's at one end and Ikea at the other. One store for the wife and one store for me. Great location. Lots of parking. I would even take a Gander Mountain there instead of Cabela's. I am not picky. If that doesn't work, Park place has lots of land. I think if we keep writing this it will happen. Maybe?? :whistling:

Not enough people in Barrie to justify a Cabela's. Down here in Oakville, we have plenty of space on the north side of Dundas....... :whistling:

As for Target, Zellers is losing business and has not had a steady focus in years. their stores look just like they did in the 80's and they just can't compete with Wal Mart, Wally world has too much buying power.

I remember Frank Vetere's, there used to be one down on Bloor by the Museum, we went there in the early 80's for deep dish pizza and it was good! Now mind you, I was 10-11 years old at the time and not too fussy. I hope the Olive Garden doesn't come back, they sucked. There used to be one up by York U that I took one or two dates to back in the day and it wasn't great (I grew up with a bunch of Italians and I knew all about what Italian food really is).