Report - Multi-Species

TDunn

Hey OFC!

Since my last report the open water has left us and the hard water is now in full swing up here in the Soo. The end of the soft water season had me out on the St. Marys in the boat and in the rapids with waders. On the river we trolled spoons and cranks off the riggers and one of us always bounced bottom with spawn/gulp/pinkies/flies off the bow. Nothing bouncing the last 2 outings. All fish came off the riggers.

Ted with the final fish of the season in the boat

73.jpg

71.jpg

The fish holding in the rapids were also hitting hardware.

My 2nd last outing only resulted in one bow on a spoon and my final for 2010.

80.jpg

My last session in the rapids was one afternoon and it was chalked full of these.

Landed 4 out of a half dozen that hit my countdown. It was pretty cool watching a few follow it in and strike right at my feet in full view.

December Ho's

121.jpg

123.jpg

Our ice fishing season didn’t start off very well. From the reports I read on here it seems some places in southern Ontario had first ice at about the same time as us or maybe a week later at most. I began my year east of the Soo fishing some areas a few times on Lake George/Lake Huron. The tip-ups were hot but the perch were hard to come by at the beginning. A lot of pike in the 2-5 pound range were caught and all released.

64.jpg

48.jpg

40-1.jpg

We landed a few bass also. Ted fought this hog for 15 minutes on 2 # test. That 15 minutes fell into the 25 it took me to go back to the vehicle and grab my cell that I had left. The fish was caught OOS but I don't blame Ted for snapping 2 quick photos of this fish. One in the hole and the other just at arms length quickly.

This largemouth was released within seconds of being out of the water.

Please no haters,I thought some here would enjoy a pic of this bass.

50-1.jpg

8" hole for comparison

57.jpg

A couple days and a few hundred holes later I finally started to get a decent perch bite going.

45-1.jpg

Took the first cruise of the year up the highway to Lake Superior Provincial Park for some trout just before Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised to see no signs of previous fishing on the lake. We were probably the first anglers to hit the lake and we weren’t disappointed with the results. We never landed any trophies but action was steady throughout the day.

Biggest was 18"

23.jpg

21-1.jpg

18-1.jpg

12-2.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

Boxed a few. Beautiful orange meat!

15.jpg

Aside from the warm weather we had at new year’s everything has tightened up nice. During the warm spell at the new year, I was staying at a lodge on Wakomata Lake for the 31,1,2. We got onto the ice but it was way to dangerous. We had 2.5 - 3 inches of ice in 20 feet of water. Open water was still all over and no more than 30 feet away at the closet spot to us. The ice at the shoreline was sinking under our weight. We could literally see the ice cracking under us do to no snow. Needless to say we pulled the pin.It was a bummer but we spent the 3 days bringing in the New Year drinking, eating, hitting the hot tub and playing cards lakeside thumbsup_anim.gif

168363_767600496499_120806754_46634149_6326990_n1.jpg

167847_767602582319_120806754_46634222_4598940_n1.jpg

167754_767602382719_120806754_46634207_6718535_n1.jpg

165385_767600207079_120806754_46634140_5547558_n1.jpg

164801_767601549389_120806754_46634193_677460_n1.jpg

Moved to a new place on the 3rd and literally assembled furniture for days! Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I never have to put together another dresser, end table, coffee table or night table ever again! After a few hectic days of moving things, I finally snuck away for some fishing north on Superior.

Target species was perch with maybe a bonus whitie. Well we started the day at probably the busiest ice fishing spot around the Soo. If you know the Soo, gitchee gumee is all I have to say. Slow for us. After 3 hours we only had a few dink perch, smelt and lost 2 whities wallbash.gif Earlier that morning I ran into a good friend of mine and his GF when we were getting minnows at the bait shop. Found out we were heading to the same bay and told him to come over and say hey. Well they did! They also brought this with them!

Her first time fishing let alone ice fishing. What a way to start!

Giant Lake Superior Pike - 25 pounds 10 ounces on a digital scale

1st ever fish

6# test no leader through a 6" hole

66.jpg

67.jpg

68-Copy.jpg

70.jpg

For the record I'm against keeping trophies but what can you do. It was a legal catch and already dead by the time I seen it. I never had a tape on me so I used my ice scoop as a measuring device. 2 3/4 almost 3 of my ice scoops long and the fish wasn't even laying flat nor had a pinched tail. Scoop ended up measuring 16.5". The fish came in at 45-49" using that method. I would give it a healthy 46-47 inches for my guess. After we took a few pics and the holy hell's were done he told me the story on how they landed it. Turns out the fish had both of their lines at one point. My buddies broke and she keep fighting it. When they realized what they had on. They had no idea what to do and a guy beside them helped them land it buy jamming the end of a metal ice scoop in the gills and reefing it through the hole. The fish didn't stand a chance if it was released anyway. He did get his lure back which was in the northerns mouth.

We proceeded to make our way down the highway to our next spot. After moving twice we set up shop on a spot that was producing a bit better. Caught a lot of dinks and only ended up keeping a dozen and a half between a couple guys. We did get a few bonus fish though!

Another Superior Pike (I have this on video but it is taking forever on photobucket to upload....might add later)

59.jpg

Superior Whitefish

60.jpg

I hope you enjoyed,

TDunn

Thanks to all for the kind replies!

Yup, weirdo looking december ho's forsure. The males seem to really turn red in the rapids. The female with the close up pic actually isn't even spawned out yet. Full of roe still!

Oh and just for the record those trout are splake.

Thanks again for the great replies OFC,

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Great report -- that pike is insane! On the one hand, yeah, would've been nice to realease it....but the trout population has to be getting a bit of a break now that that gator has been removed from the food chain!

LSPP -- definitely on the bucket list!