A Frightening Yet Exciting Career Change

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

as some of you may know i have worked for 5 years in the lamprey control program with the dfo, a season with a provincial fish hatchery and 3 years on top of that with coaster brook trout and lake sturgeon projects within the mnr...

after 8 years of trying to get a good job, and having never even had a benefit package, enoughs enough... the gov't must be "entitled" somewhere else because my experience is that it is far from it in the lower echelons....

so this fall, after another layoff i looked into options as far as a career change. i'm happy to announce that as of january 31st i'll begin training as a welder, hopefully to end up working in structural steel and ironwork.

wish me luck!

Learn how to Tig weld extremely light aluminum and you will be able to write your own ticket.

It is pretty easy to find work if you are good at it and once you learn the aluminum, anything

else that you tig comes easy.

There are lots of stick welders around but I have only come across two that were exceptional

welders, they could do a 6010 root pass and a low hydrogen 7018 cap that looked like it had

been done with a robot. Takes lots of practice but once you get good, you're gold.

Good Luck with your new career.

If you need any info or even career ops P.M. me.

Stan

good luck doc....have you looked into microwelding and laser welding in the tooling industry? a buddy of mine does it and it's pretty cool

it's pretty cool indeed and lots of job opportunities

welcome to welding Dr. Salvelinus word of advice protect your eyes all cost

best of luck and welcome to the field.

shadowfly

Edited by shadowfly

My father was an Ironworker mostly involved with large machinery and structural work. As he reflected back on his past he said that joining the Ironworkers was the best thing he ever did and he really enjoyed it. But I can still remember him getting up early and dreading the coming day especialy in the winter working on the Hamilton Bayfront or elewhere outside in the cold. Guess the good memories outshone the bad ones....oh yeah and the money was good.

Too bad I didn't take his advise some 30 + years ago!

All the best traveling along your new path.

Edited by pikehunter

Good luck Doc.

Ah, yes. The life of a tradesman. I'm really looking forward to waking at 5:30 am and working outoors in -28 to -32 temps for the rest of this week. But damn, it pays good.

All the best Bud.