Survival suits for the un-tall

lew

Hey guys, I'm 5'9" and 220 pounds and I can't find a survival suit to fit me. I've been looking for 2 years now but every suit I look at is for someone 6'4" it seems. I can get them to fit in the chest but the legs are about a foot too long.

Nuthing up here in the Peterboro area and I just got off the phone with Gagnons, BPS and LeB's and their suits are all for tall guys.

Where the heck do the un-tall and un-thin buy their survival suits ??

Hey guys, I'm 5'9" and 220 pounds and I can't find a survival suit to fit me. I've been looking for 2 years now but every suit I look at is for someone 6'4" it seems. I can get them to fit in the chest but the legs are about a foot too long.

Nuthing up here in the Peterboro area and I just got off the phone with Gagnons, BPS and LeB's and their suits are all for tall guys.

Where the heck do the un-tall and un-thin buy their survival suits ??

Hi Lew. I was looking at floatation suits last night and the salus brand (which is made in KW, btw) apparently has telescopic legs. Not sure how that works, but presumably they might fit better than the one-size-fits-all that tend to err on the tall side. Also, not sure if they make survival suits (vs. float suits, unless that's what you meant) but worth a look - Salus Marine.

Hi Lew;

I have a survival suit that I don't need.

It will fit you width-wise, but will be too long.

If you take it to a tailor etc. you can have it adjusted to fit you. Since it is free, the cost of remaking it will be less than the cost of a new suit.

Garry

Edited by garry2rs

Hey Lew , I also live in the peterborough area and had the same troubles I am 5"10" and around the same weight. The only spot i found that had one that fit me was grimsby tackle and it was a black and yellow bouy o boy one and it fits great i wear it for everything winter related, It was a few years ago that i picked it up from a muskie convention in st.catherines but give em a call.

I don't know who the designer is for those suits but they must be between 5'10 and 5'11 and between 195 and 200 lbs.

You guys can't get one with arms and legs short enough and I am at the other end of the spectum 6'5 and just short of 300lbs. I have contacted the head office of several manufacturers and the answer at all of them was the same "TOO BAD, SO SAD"

Apparently Stacy Ash at Pro Tackle near Belleville has a line on a new product which will be out this fall he guarantees will fit me.

Tom.

Well it shows the guy floating like a bobber, "arctic ice armor", maybe a newer product. Couldn't find anything that says it's MOT and CCG approved for floatation.

I think Ice Armour and Arctic Armour are 2 different companies

I think Ice Armour and Arctic Armour are 2 different companies

Yes, they are.

I'm in the market for an Arctic armour suit right now. I'm trying to find a camo suit, and having a hard time locating one. Anyone seen one around?? They do float, they're water proof and breathable too. Only come in two pieces as well, so getting one to fit is much easier. They're a lot more comfy than my old mustang survival suit too!! Just the breathable factor alone is enough to sway me that direction. They're not CCG approved, but they float for sure. I always have PFDs aboard anyways, so no big deal. I don't think my camo mustang is approved either, only because of the colour!!

Im tall and thin........my XXL mustang suit is just worn right out after 15 years of hard use.

S.

thought so

my flotation suit is around 25 years old

I didn't like the fit, being around the 5.9 mark

last fall I bought a 2 piece and I have never been warmer or more comfortable

only the jacket is flotation and bib pants don't float

Hi Lew;

I have a survival suit that I don't need.

It will fit you width-wise, but will be too long.

If you take it to a tailor etc. you can have it adjusted to fit you. Since it is free, the cost of remaking it will be less than the cost of a new suit.

Garry

Aww, com'on Garry. No need for that, if you fall overboard we DO want you to survive.

Guest gbfisher

Yes, they are.

I'm in the market for an Arctic armour suit right now. I'm trying to find a camo suit, and having a hard time locating one. Anyone seen one around?? They do float, they're water proof and breathable too. Only come in two pieces as well, so getting one to fit is much easier. They're a lot more comfy than my old mustang survival suit too!! Just the breathable factor alone is enough to sway me that direction. They're not CCG approved, but they float for sure. I always have PFDs aboard anyways, so no big deal. I don't think my camo mustang is approved either, only because of the colour!!

Im tall and thin........my XXL mustang suit is just worn right out after 15 years of hard use.

S.

yer gonna have the opposite problem Lews having....lol

IceArmor is not flotation,but my Boy O Bouy,is just wore out,knees shot,and all the insulaition in the arms is down at the cuffs, but I really like the IceAromor,easier to get around,less bulky,more comfy,and much warmer. I only use it for ice fishing and in the early season i wear my boy o bouy, just in case,I dont want the helicoper looking for me

but ice armour isn't flotation,,,,is it?

I just got back from sweating my lowers off, tried on a few suits and broke the bank, settled for the Helly Hansen Alpha 1 float suit in extra large, fit really well, only issue was the hood has to be out ,not rolled up in the collar, I cant stand the thick collar that wont fold down, felt like someone was pushing on the back of my head, little expensive, but the delta 1 and delta 2 and the other one didnt fit like this one.Piss zipper,suspenders,pockets sold me.

good luck lew, but I'd have to say try one on, Iam 5'10-5'11,225 ok maybe 235! Fit well.

Cheers