OT : AT TIRES vs Snow Tires

cityfisher

hey all,

sold my stocker rims and old AS tires and bought a set of summer rims and tires. Now im looking to either get a set of AT Tires or a set of Winter tires.... What do you guys recommend? live in southern Ontario.. do a little snowmobiling and ice fishing during the winter months.

Is all terrain more like a All season tire with an Aggressive tread? Will dedicated winters blow the AT tires out of the water during those snowy days?

looking at a couple differnt ones

Dynopro AT

Bridgstone Dueller Revos

Bridgstone Blizzak

Cooper Arctic Claw

Edited by cityfisher

at tires will be ok in snow most of the at tires on the market have a snowflake symbol on them.

The snow tires will be much better in icy conditions as they are made with compounds that stay pliable at low temps, you can't go wrong with the blizzaks always been a dependable tire,

overall if you have a dedicated set of summer tires than go for the snow tires

i agree with ecm.. if you have a dedicated set of summers and you dont do any offroading in the summer where an AT tire would be warranted, then get the dedicated snows.

the ATs are a good compromise for all year driving be it snow, dry pavement or on the trail.

Blizzaks rule. They are a snow ice tire. Way better than just normal snows. I have them on my Tundra in the winter. I barely ever need 4wd because of them.

I have the Michelin ltx for summer. They stink in mud and snow, but are a great pavement tire with little road noise and lots of life.

Thanks guys!

I just bought a set of Cooper Arctic Claw winter tires.. Got them for a great price, loved the look of the AT tires but in reality I dont go offroading other than basic dirt roads so i dont see much use for an AT tire at this time !

It's important to understand there is a world of difference between SNOW tires and WINTER tires.

Traditional snow tires are made from the same type of rubber material as regular all-season radials, but have a more aggressive tread to give better traction on snow. All-Terrain tires are basically the same thing, but are engineered to last longer (maybe 80k before wearing out, versus 50k). The problem is that all of these tires will stiffen up in the cold, which reduces handling and traction regardless of what the tread looks like.

Proper winter tires are made of an entirely different type of rubber/silica compound, so they are not affected by cold temperatures. So, they provide better traction and handling even on dry roads. On snow or ice, it's like day and night. This is why winter tires and now required by law in Quebec, and other provinces are also looking into making their use mandatory.

The best winter tires in the world now come out of Korea. In terms of value for the money, it's hard to beat Hankook Icebears - they are spectacular.

Hankook also makes a winter tire called an iPike. Never used them, but I love the name.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

You have a jeep... just put some AT's on there and when the winter hits you've got your 4x4. But by no means does that mean your the king of the road.

I have a jeep and went with AT's and they run perfectly fine all year round. When winter or a good snow fall hits I air them down to 30psi and they work even better.

Like everyone else says, if you have a dedicated set of summers and winters that is the best combo. AT is a good compromise which I went for.

On another note, looks like you live in Richmond Hill and the Greater Toronto Area. These cities generally do a good job of a quick cleanup during the snowfalls.

You have a jeep... just put some AT's on there and when the winter hits you've got your 4x4. But by no means does that mean your the king of the road.

I have a jeep and went with AT's and they run perfectly fine all year round. When winter or a good snow fall hits I air them down to 30psi and they work even better.

Like everyone else says, if you have a dedicated set of summers and winters that is the best combo. AT is a good compromise which I went for.

On another note, looks like you live in Richmond Hill and the Greater Toronto Area. These cities generally do a good job of a quick cleanup during the snowfalls.

Paid under 350 for a set of barely used Cooper Arctic Claw Tires.. Under 1000k on them. So i went that route. If I didn't have my summers i would of just gone with the AT tires all year.

Hope i made the right move !

Edited by cityfisher

Take the advise of those who know.

Absolutely no comparison to a good snow tire.

When you install tires for a living and have the opportunity to test them you understand the difference.

What gets me sometimes is the lack of thought of drivers in the stopping power and handling.

Yes, an all season may get you going but is it going to stop or turn?

Snows for me!

I love my blizzaks, I have a few cars, a couple trucks, vans etc... at work and get a different kind for each every two years. The blizzaks are the best so far and it's what goes on the Tahoe every winter. Barely even use the 4x4

hey all,

sold my stocker rims and old AS tires and bought a set of summer rims and tires. Now im looking to either get a set of AT Tires or a set of Winter tires.... What do you guys recommend? live in southern Ontario.. do a little snowmobiling and ice fishing during the winter months.

Is all terrain more like a All season tire with an Aggressive tread? Will dedicated winters blow the AT tires out of the water during those snowy days?

looking at a couple differnt ones

Dynopro AT

Bridgstone Dueller Revos

Bridgstone Blizzak

Cooper Arctic Claw

ONE WORD: GISLAVED! BEST WINTER TIRE AND VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!!

Dude, its a jeep. get some big MT's and be done with it. :wallbash:

Never been stuck in anything with the tires on my Grand Cheroke.

jeep.jpg

But seriously though. Winter tires are great but with a Grand cheroke your gonna eat them up in no time on the dry pavement of southern ontario. Just get some good AT's and when the roads are snow covered use 4x4 and drive slower. Even with Really good snows on a big heavy turck like a grand cheroke you are gonna slide. Its not like your trying to stop a toyota corolla. You can't beat physics. You got a big vehicle, drive slow and get some AT's and you will be fine.

Sorry Jedi but I disagree. Been there with big tires.

The big wide tires distribute the weight over a larger area. This might be OK in sand.

But in snow or worse yet in slush it acts like a big snowshoe and doesn't allow the tire to contact where it needs to.

I discovered this years ago where I had tires like yours on a 4x4 and a buddy with tall narrow tires in a 2wd blew by me on the lake with ease.

His narrow tires were able to penetrate down to the ice surface and reduce spin in the loose snow.

In snow there is no comparison to snow tires....period.

There are several good brands that work well.

Yes, they tend to wear faster but I will suffer that fact for safety.

Your not comparing apples to apples. If you take a set of AT, Snow and MT tires all the same size. I would rather have MT's personally. Obviously if you take a big wide set of tires veruses skinny tires the skinny ones will penetrate to hard pack. but thats not what the question was about. It wasn't about tire size. MTs come in all sorts of sizes from skinny to fat.

In packed slushy snow the MT tread blocks will clear when they spin versus the AT's that will just fillup and become a slick.

Sure on an Ice covered lake an Ice Radial will be best. but for an all around tire I would go with an MT any day of the week. All terrain is ok at most great a nothing. an Ice Radial is useles off road in deep stuff, Muddy spring snow and dry pavement will chew them to shreds(likely 95% of this guys driving)

MT's are the way to go for Big heavy 4x4's.

If you want something geared specifically and only for driving on icey roads, definatly Blizzaks are a great choice.

If your looking for an all around get you around most places efficiently a Good set of AT's will be fine.

Edited by jedimaster