OT : AT TIRES vs Snow Tires

cityfisher

I purchased a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. They are a mud and snow rated AT tire.

You get the best of both worlds. :D

i wouldnt call it the "best" of both worlds as those tires are neither snow/ice or mud dedicated rubber. all terrain tires do OK on most terrain, but no AT tire will even come close to a tire designed for each specific type of terrain. in other words, cheap snow tires will out perform premium all terrain tires in the snow and ice.

Even with Really good snows on a big heavy turck like a grand cheroke you are gonna slide. Its not like your trying to stop a toyota corolla. You can't beat physics. You got a big vehicle, drive slow and get some AT's and you will be fine.

lol...since when was a cherokee a "big heavy truck"? :dunno:

anyone that has tried winter tires would never recommend AT's for winter driving as the stopping distance between the 2 is huge. with good winter tires its not much different stopping on a snow covered road than wet pavement. hit the brakes too hard and you'll slide.

wide tires are the last thing you want for winter driving. you'll want to use "skinnies" in the winter as they give better traction.

Edited by ch312

Any recommendations for tires for southwestern ontario city driving. Mostly wet or sometimes slushy pavement, sometimes ice....trips to the cottage (where snow actually sits on the road for more than 2 hrs) every 3 weeks....

Kumho KW19 are a very good tire for that purpose.

That's what is on my wife's Caravan and many of my customers.

Tougher than a Blizzak for tread wear as well.