Broken Reel

markiemark70

you could but don't think you would like it..

because you would need to reinforce it to make it strong enough to use.

put some super glue on it and hang it on the trophy case

Edited by Terry

oh i dunno, id make a valient effort for sure lol

I could see taking the reel off completely, drilling thru the top of the reel seat piece and into the main lower arm (trying to do it thru both pieces so it lines up well) as deep as you can go and try and thread it. I know its cast, whatever the material is. But find a tap and die set and try and tap into it and finish it with a LONG, maybe 10-24 machine screw with a countersink head so it will go back on the rod without the screw head interfering. Worth a shot if you have the tools. I know id try it just to see if i could do it.

I actually had a reel break last year that left me a little more at the top than you have and i wrapped it in fiberglass cloth and resined it up and its not the prettiest thing, but functional

Hey all, I broke my oldest reel. I have had it since I was 18 (20 years ago sad.gif ) and I really don't want to throw it out. But if that is the only option, ce'st la vie.

IMG00074-20100726-1738.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.tell it was broken.

i know for a fact that aluminum can be welded, and if the welder is good, you may not even be able to tell it was broken.check out the metal shops or refrigeration repair services in your area.the will be used to welding aluminum evaporator coils and will have the tools to do a good braze.

i know for a fact that aluminum can be welded, and if the welder is good, you may not even be able to tell it was broken.check out the metal shops or refrigeration repair services in your area.the will be used to welding aluminum evaporator coils and will have the tools to do a good braze.

If it's not aluminum, it may be that other type such as a white pot metal, it can be welded as said above, you can get the "welding rods from Princess Auto and maybe CTC, it only takes a good propane torch to do the job, the only thing, it must be cleaned by sandpaper or stainless brush, no brass or steel brush, it will contaminate the surface.

You have nothing to lose by trying. The screw through the top is a good idea. Then reinforce it with epoxy. I use a solid epoxy, I think its called QuickBond, it is bar shaped with a dark centre and a lighter coloured outside. Simply cut off as much as you need then kneed it like doe. It is quite strong.

Well I went to HD to look for parts to attempt to fix it. The guy helping me in the paint dept, along with the posts here have convinced me that there is not much point to trying to fix it. He said the best I could do would be to glue it so I can display it, but I am not interested in that.

I think I am going to replace it with this:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201566_100003002_100000000_100003000_100-3-2

Any thoughts? I usually buy cheaper combos lately, so $100 is splurging for me. Would not want to spend much more unless I had a really compelling reason (besides "It's awesome"). And the reason I want to get a combo is because I have another setup where the rod is broken and the reel is good, so now I can marry the 2 to get 1 good working older rig, and have 1 good new one.

Thanks all for suggestions.

The Shimano reel is a good lower end model and Shimano is easy to deal with for service. If you like the action of the rod the BPS combo looks decent.

On the other hand, I tried buying cheap spinning reels for awhile, based on the idea that "better" spinning reels don't help your cast.

The problem turned out to be that these cheap reels had cheap plastic parts in places like the anti-reverse etc.

Once broken, House-Brand and Off-Brand reels had no parts available to fix them. Cheap Name-Brand reels weren't worth the postage required to ship them.

I like Shimano Stradic's but the Saro's will save you a few dollars. Since I never throw anything heavier than a Senko worm with mine, I would put the reel on about a ML Shimano Cumara or Crucial rod. You might like a slightly different action, depending on what you do with your spinning gear.

This outfit will cost three times what the BPS outfit will be, but it's the good stuff and you're worth it!

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Garry2r's is right in that the lower end stuff works, but in terms of durability, comfort, casting distance, feel etc etc etc... there are major differences. I have the Shimano Saros that he noted, and for $120 it's golden. I also have a cheaper set (reel link below), and the two main differences I found are casting distance and maintenance. The waterproof drag is pretty key at keeping the drag and reel 'out of the box' smooth after use in rough weather, that's what you don't get with the cheaper gear. I've had to grease and lube my cheaper set every few months to keep it fresh.

However, if you're looking at a set for about $100

I'd take a look at the combo of these-

Reel: Diawa TD-Pro

Rod: Browning Citori (on clearance)

Use the promo code: SAVEPC3 - it'll save $20 on orders over $100 - and you're at $109 for a GREAT set. If you call customer service and tell them about 'major problems' you've had in the past and ask to speak with the 2nd level customer service you can get them to ship for free as well. After you get the free shipping give them the promo code.

This is the first reel I bought last year paired with a BPS extreme rod for $129. I have to say the reel is a good bang for the buck. It's light and the drag is super smooth and quite strong. I'd highly recommend it as a cheaper set. The rod is highly recommended on the site and should be super light/sensitive.

OR

Use the $20 off promo and just get the Shimano Saros for $109 to put on the rod you already have. You can upgrade the rod later on. I like this option best rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rigged

Ok well maybe it will be a better idea to spend my $100 on a rell, and get a new rod later? How about this one?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2036_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

Only issue I see is the line cap. It only shows up to 10 lb and I like to use braid which is 12 lb diameter (30-50 lbs) Are these line caps a hard rule?

Also, in case you haven't figures it out by now, while I really enjoy fishing, I am usually doing pretty lightweight Bass fishing from shore, so I really don't know the difference betweem different rod weights and lengths and stuff. I have been fishing all my life and still buy my gear based on looks and price!! SO for me a $100 reel is more than sufficient, I am splurging!

Thanks for you help.

Ok well maybe it will be a better idea to spend my $100 on a rell, and get a new rod later? How about this one?

http://www.basspro.c...0001000_100-1-2

Only issue I see is the line cap. It only shows up to 10 lb and I like to use braid which is 12 lb diameter (30-50 lbs) Are these line caps a hard rule?

Thanks for you help.

The caps are not a hard rule - it simply states the amount of line it will spool based on that test weight diameter. You could put 80lb braid on it, if you had a good reason too.

I see you're back on the old school look with that reel. With $20 off the Saros is within $10 and has it's own long-casting mechanism and comes with a free spool. The waterproof drag as earlier noted has been my favorite feature, and for me it would be an easy call. The Saros has a reputation as being one of the nicest reels for the money. However if you love the looks of the old school black plastic, go for it... you're the one using it.