Inuvik, North West Territories and the Arctic Ocean

AzuluSpookd

Just thought I would share these pictures with all of you....and a little story behind it.....

My mom is 69 years old and loves helping people...she's been involved in the Out of the Cold program here in Midland for many many years and is a Social Worker. She decided at 40 years of age, to go to University with 4 kids and got her BA then BSW then MSW. My father passed away a few years ago and since then she's had this itch to go to remote places and help people. Well, last year she shocked us and informed us that she would be heading to Inuvik, North West Territories!

I had an opportunity to suprise her when she took a vacation in December to Las Vegas, my wife and I almost gave her a heart attack when she saw as at Bally's, it was great seeing her for four days prior to her heading back....

Her town is where the Tropicana TV Commercial was filmed and plays every day on CITY TV on Breakfast television. They have almost complete darkness for a month in the winter and complete sunlight for a month during the summer. Crazy stuff. Ice Road Truckers was there to film the past few years.

She's as strong as an OX and just loves it out there. She is set to return on September 2nd and were looking forward to having her back. She's already planning her next trip....to Labrador...I love my mom!

Hope you enjoy....

Below is the map of where Inuvik actually is...top left corner...she flies weekly to a place called Sach's Harbour...directly across the Arctic Ocean..

Map.jpg

Below is the DC3 that takes her and 2000lbs of gear to Sach's Harbour...

DC3toSachsHarbour.jpg

MyMom.jpg

Here she is inside...

MomAgaininDC3.jpg

Below are pictures of the Beaufort Sea...

BeaufortSea2jpg.jpg

BeaufortSea.jpg

This is her friend, a Doctor from Vancouver that helps out....she is actually touching the Arctic Ocean....

ArcticOcean.jpg

Here's a picture of Sach's Harbour from the plane....

SachsHarbour.jpg

Waterproof Sealskin boots...

WaterproofSealskinBoots.jpg

Bowhead Whale remnants...

BowheadWhaleRemains.jpg

Current Fishing Gear....

CurrentFishingEquipment.jpg

Funny looking Christmas Tree....

FunnyChristmasTree.jpg

This is as low as the sun currently sets...it's 3 AM !!!

LowestSunGets.jpg

Muskox hide hanging off a house in Sach's...

MuskoxHide.jpg

Muskox.....after her and her friend got back from this walk, they were told by the locals never to go out again alone. A Polar Bear was shot 4 days before and when they gutted it, there was no food in its stomach....

MuskoxHeads.jpg

Pelts at a local grocery store...

PeltsatGroceryStore.jpg

Look who's coming for a visit? TOO TOO....check out the menu!!!

NHL.jpg

This is back in Inuvik....

InuvikIglooChurch.jpg

InuvikRecCentre.jpg

I'm extremely proud of what my mom has accomplished in her life, with alot more to come. She's a great woman and I can't wait to see her in September!

No kidding!!!!

Wow...that's some Mom you have there. :clapping:

I have watched the Ice Road Truckers program a few times....LONELY LIFE

I just don't understand though why people still live in places like that. Does not appeal to me in the least. But great that your Mom is able to go and give a hand.

Thats an awesome post right there, I am always interested in seeing arctic related content, as I too spend a great deal of time up north.

I can't wait to sit in a Borek plane for another 10000Km this fall!

DPP_0146.JPG

Edited by troutologist

Nice story and great pictures. My mom did her B.A., B.ED., M.Ed., and Principals courses in the 80s and 90s. She was a single mother of 3 busy boys and did all of her courses from about 8pm - midnight after finishing her 2 jobs every day. She was a teacher and a Figure Skating instructor. She will retire in 2 more weeks at the age of 67. She fought breast cancer over the last 2 years and is looking forward to retirment. She is not going to N.W.T. to help those in need but she is still super in my books.

I am a Child Protection Worker with Children's Aid Society in North Bay so I think what your mom is doing is pretty cool too.

Cheers to you and your family.

Blair

I just don't understand though why people still live in places like that. Does not appeal to me in the least. But great that your Mom is able to go and give a hand.

If you ever get the chance to visit, you will find out why people like me live in places like this. ;)

I love it so much more up here than I ever did in Southern Ontario. The only things I miss are steelheading and the shopping. :lol:

Thanks guys, she is an absolutely amazing person. She's in great health and just gets pleasure helping others out.

I'm glad you all liked it....I wanted to go and visit her, but the cost to Edmonton wasn't bad....it was the cost to Inuvik from Edmonton that was a killer....

I think her next adventure is to Labrador to help out there...crazy stuff!