2 people missing in georgian bay.

alexcba

WOW, I heard about this yesterday. I've got a 19ft bowrider and I'm not comfortable out in the big water on GBay when the wind blows. Those waves get real big, real fast. A 14ft tinny out there, not me brother!!! Not in a million years. Respect the water and understand the capabilities of your boat. I hope it ends well for the sake of their families. LIFEJACKETS, LIFEJACKETS, LIFEJACKETS!!!! DAMMIT, WHY CAN'T GUYS WEAR THEIR LIFE JACKETS??? It is not an ego thing, it is just plain old common sense. If you get stuck out in rough water, make sure you are wearing your life jacket and attach the kill cord to you.

A few weeks ago, my buddie's godbrother drowned out near Peterborough while canoeing, it did not need to happen. Once again those guys would have made it had they been wearing their lifejackets.

Sorry to rant but this is one of those things like wearing your seatbelt, you don't need to die!

It's sad to hear this kind of thing. Every year, someone / group heads out onto G-Bay in an undersized boat, in bad weather. The weather was crap last night, and a 12" boat, what the heck where they thinking!! The wind was roaring in Barrie, I could imagine the waves on G-bay.

Another thing, if cottagers saw the boat capsize, why didn't they get in their own boats, and go out to help them??

Edited by F-is-H

I know the area quite well, less than 5 min from my cottage. A lot of cottagers dont have boats in front of there cottage. I trolled through the area where the accident occurred on the weekend, water temps were 58 F. Could have been prevented, very unfortunate!

Latest .....

Updated: Fri Jun. 18 2010 10:24:52 AM

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100618/georgian-bay-search-100618/20100618/?hub=TorontoNewHome

The Canadian Press

MIDLAND, Ont. — Provincial police resumed their search today for two young men who have been missing since a boating accident Wednesday on south Georgian Bay.

Const. David Hobson says police boats and divers are looking for the two men in their 20s who disappeared when their small fishing boat capsized in choppy water.

Local residents have been helping police with the search.

Hobson says police boats and a helicopter, along with a number of officers patrolling the shore, found no trace of the men on Thursday.

A 21-year-old man who was in the boat that capsized off Christian Island made it to shore.

i too was hoping for a better end but after the first one was found my hopes went down. so sad.

a kayaker went missing today aswell, he was supposed to go to wasaga beach he didnt show... police found the kayak and paddle, man is missing.

It's sad to hear this kind of thing. Every year, someone / group heads out onto G-Bay in an undersized boat, in bad weather. The weather was crap last night, and a 12" boat, what the heck where they thinking!! The wind was roaring in Barrie, I could imagine the waves on G-bay.

Another thing, if cottagers saw the boat capsize, why didn't they get in their own boats, and go out to help them??

In that area its highly possible that the cottagers would not have a boat. Quite a bit of that shoreline on the mainland near Christian Island is not protected enough to have a dock. Its big water and in a NW wind there are a lot of large waves. Just awful to have two young kids lose their lives over a small lapse in judgment. But for the grace of god.....

But for the grace of god.....

Ain't that the truth.

I'll bet there's very few on this board that haven't done something foolish in a boat over the years, I know I certainly have.

Myself, my bro and my dad were fishing 3 mile Lake many years ago when one of us stood up to have a pee and the boat flipped. We were all thrown into the water but fortunately we were all very strong swimmers and were close to shore but it sure could have turned bad in a hurry if things had been different.

So very sad to hear stories like this where a couple buds are just out enjoying themselves and they end up dying.

Christian Island lads... so they knew the waters well and most days would have been fine in the 14'r... and Godspeed to them both. Like Lew said.. just out to enjoy themselves and the next thing you know...

Many of us have been there.. done that and luckily come home. My Father-in-law and I use to fish some fair water (Methodist to Snake) in the 12' car topper.. his old 7.5 Elgin (with a cloths pin on the choke) and my 5 Evinrude both running so we had a motor on at all times (since you could never keep either running for long!). One day circa 1985 or so, that we still laugh about (and thankfully can), having to keep our rod tips up or they would drag in the swell on each side of the boat!

It is sad, this happened a few years ago as well.

The young one found yesterday is my neighbours nephew.

Lifejackets WERE a factor and the one that survived, swam with the waves into Cedar Point, the other two tried to swim back into the waves to the Island.

Sad day indeed.

Ain't that the truth.

I'll bet there's very few on this board that haven't done something foolish in a boat over the years, I know I certainly have.

Myself, my bro and my dad were fishing 3 mile Lake many years ago when one of us stood up to have a pee and the boat flipped. We were all thrown into the water but fortunately we were all very strong swimmers and were close to shore but it sure could have turned bad in a hurry if things had been different.

So very sad to hear stories like this where a couple buds are just out enjoying themselves and they end up dying.

your very lucky indeed.. i had to learn the sad way. i lost my cousin to the water, its one thing i never mess around with.

My father raised me to respect women, most of all mother nature.

Very sad.

Around 2001 we got caught out on Simcoe, experience on big water and a 20ft bass boat with dual bilges got us behind an island, unfortunately Lady Simcoe took a few people that day. Flash storm's can catch you quick!

Edited by Harrison