Full cord of hardwood

lew

Guys, I've got a fireplace in the living room, plus I'm having a woodburning stove installed down in the family room so I'm gonna be buying a couple cords of wood for next winter.....ya I know, it's 80 degrees outside today :lol:

I was referred to a local guy and talked to him today and he sells a full cord of seasoned hardwood, cut to 16", split and delivered to my home for $300 including taxes.

Decent price or not ??

I paid a little less than that for my wood this year, Lew, $260 a cord. If it's good wood and split to a size you like, $300 is not really a bad price.

I found that once you find a good wood guy and buy for a couple years, your price will start to decline relative to the going rate. I buy 3 or 4 cords a year and heat exclusively with wood.

Whew, not too cheap Lew. Although down there it may be in line.

Brought 2 cords of Maple to the cottage last winter, cut and split for $140. I had to pick it up but it was only a kilometer out of my way.

Check with lumber mills in the area.

When I lived in Grand Valley we used to buy wood off a wood flooring mill for $70 a dump truck load!!! Delivered!!!! :good::good:

It was a smaller dump truck so we ended up with a pile that filled our 6X6X6 wood bin.

Mind you it was all off cuts and they weren't uniform size but we created a covered bin to store it in.

Nothing better than kiln dried oak, maple, cherry and walnut fer burning!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I think that is high Lew, I haven't bought wood for a few years now but the going rate for cut, seasoned split hard wood was about $225.00 a bush cord when I did. You could also look at buying a truck load of logs and cutting and splitting it yourself!

Whew, not too cheap Lew. Although down there it may be in line.

Brought 2 cords of Maple to the cottage last winter, cut and split for $140. I had to pick it up but it was only a kilometer out of my way.

You must have a big truck...

I think that is high Lew, I haven't bought wood for a few years now but the going rate for cut, seasoned split hard wood was about $225.00 a bush cord when I did. You could also look at buying a truck load of logs and cutting and splitting it yourself!

It's certainly cheaper if you want to do the work yourself. Still a big investment though, I believe the average "truck load" of logs will yeild 14 bush cords or so (It may be only seven, I don't really remember).

Guys, I've got a fireplace in the living room, plus I'm having a woodburning stove installed down in the family room so I'm gonna be buying a couple cords of wood for next winter.....ya I know, it's 80 degrees outside today :lol:

I was referred to a local guy and talked to him today and he sells a full cord of seasoned hardwood, cut to 16", split and delivered to my home for $300 including taxes.

Decent price or not ??

Here in the city I would thankfully pay $300 a full cord delivered!!!!

I lived in Lakefield not too long ago. I was getting a chord for 225 - 250 in the end. Ask around. Best to get the wood now so you can dry it out. So it's good you are looking now. There is a guy on the west side of 28 bw Young's Point and Burleigh you could try. Kingdon Lumber in Lakefield has a bin of scrap wood good for kindling.

OMG Lew I have never heard of such high wood prices in my life.

I pay $90.00 per cord delivered here in Saint-Hubert high quality hard Maple.

Only in Ontario eh :unsure:

I have a friend who lives in Bracebridge. When he first moved there, he told me he bought 10 cords of wood for the upcoming winter. I thought he was nuts, how could he need so much wood?

Apparently, in Muskoka, a "face cord" is referred to as a "cord". A bush cord (as I've always known a cord of wood) is of course 3 face cords deep. He actually only had 3 1/3 cords of wood, which made much more sense.

If a "bush cord" is only $90 in Quebec, along with the beer prices, maybe I should move my :asshat: to La Belle Province.

If it's oak and maple Lew it's the going price for seasoned wood. I haven't seen an advert in the bargain trader for less than $280 to $320 per BUSH cord.. (that's 4' x 4' x 8 ' of wood Mike the Pike!) for REAL hardwood. Don't let someone give you a load of Poplar and Birch for that money!

Considering the work and gas involved I don't think I could even sell it for that price unless I had a Cord King automatic cutter/splitter. You sure couldn't make a decent living with a saw and a tractor run splitter if you want to get anything for your valuable trees.

Now if you wanna come up to my place and go for it... you are more than welcome to do your own wood from my forest and the usual deal is I get 2 cords.. you get 3, for using your equipment, you doing the work and taking my trees.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks guys, I just got back home.

Seems some here think $300 is high while others don't think it's too bad of a price, so I'll do a bit more searching around. This is the 1st time I've ever bought a full cord of hardwood so I wasn't too sure what a fair price was.

And yes, this is for a full cord rather than a face cord.

Jer, could you please PM me the name or phone # of your wood guy. I'm probably gonna buy at least 2 cords so if I can save $40 off each one that'll be a substantial savings.

Sharkbait22, the guy on 28 between Youngs Pt and Burliegh is the one I was talking to today, perhaps I'll see what he can offer me for 2 cords.

Ya.... face cord 4 feet high by 16 inches by 8 feet.... full cord 4 x 4 x 8 (3 face cords) if its really good wood and its delivered $300 ain't bad. .. if its great wood.

Lew, that is not too bad a price. See what you can get off of him for 2 cords, you might save a few bucks (maybe 20-50 or so). What about picking it up yourself?? How much will you save. Firewood is not cheap, esp. considering it literally goes up in smoke like gas for the vehicles incl. the boat.

Don't forget the stacking party with a couple of strong backs and an afternoon fishing for muskies. I paid $200 for a bush cord of really really dry hardwood last year but it burns real fast and really hot and would not be suitable for a woodstove. The campfire, sure, anything that burns but for home you have to be a bit more picky.

Lew, when we moved in here there was a beautiful wood burning fire place in the basement family room. First year I cut and hauled wood and bought wood. It was beautiful, the sound of the fire as sparks flew out onto the floor, the smell of the smoke but it was also a lot of work and not very efficient.

By the third year I had put an insert in the fire place, much more efficient but you still had the sound of the fire and the smell of the smoke. Mind you hauling, stacking, carrying the wood and cleaning up were still there.

Year 6 I had the wood insert removed and a gas insert put in, The fire is still beautiful but now when I want it I flip a switch, it is on a thermostat so no more having to open a window in Jan. because it got too hot. No more bugs and stuff from the wood or pails of ashes to have to haul and it still works even if the hydro goes out.

I have now converted my whole house to propane, cook stove, water heater, furnace, fireplace, and my two BBQ's are hooked up to the main tank. Total gas bills less than $3000.00 a year. You might want to re consider before you go out and buy all that wood.

Thanks again everyone, I've got a couple phone numbers for some local wood guys and will be calling them today.

Cliff, I understand where your coming from but I've always been a big fan of the airtight woodstoves. I won't be doing any cutting, other than kindling, and the wood will all be stored in a large portable shed I've installed behind the garage so it'll be easy to get at.

I have been heating with a wood burning stove for about 7-8 years now and I have to agree with Cliff that it is a LOT of work. However, my house is nice and warm with temps in the mid 70's unlike most homes here that use natural gas and their homes are best at 68 degrees. Since I'm retired I have the time to bring in the wood, etc.......

As far as wood prices here in WNY......in the Buffalo area they are getting between $80 - $125 per FACE cord with delivery "available"....if I had to pay this much for wood I wouldn't heat with it....I have been getting my wood for the last 5 years at $50 per FACE cord but I have to haul it from 23 miles away. However, it's 80-85% hickory, some ash, some sugar maple and some black cherry. It's always CLEAN, dried and split properly.I go through just around 6 cords per year.

If you have the room I would buy twice the amount you require and let the extra dry some more...for a good wood burner the drier the better IMHO as you can adjust the air flow which controls the burn rate.

In use to have a website saved (before computer crashed) that gave the BTU's from each kind of wood....with Locust being the best.

The fireplace will cost you a LOT of BTU's as it will cause a draft and draw out the heat from your home...heating from a fireplace is near nil. After a year or two you will see for yourself that a fireplace is nice to look at but not to heat one's home.

Bob