thoughts on an "ugly stick"

GBW

I bought a cheap $50 combo after my house fire (lost all my fishing stuff)I still use the rod with a 4000 stradic for chucking spinnerbaits for pike and as a trunk rod (my only 2 peice rod)it's a decent rod stands up to alot of abuse but Def not for finesse fishing not real sensitive .I hear the down rigging rods are not to bad. most guys will say no way but I dont mind it.

I bought a cheap $50 combo after my house fire (lost all my fishing stuff)I still use the rod with a 4000 stradic for chucking spinnerbaits for pike and as a trunk rod (my only 2 peice rod)it's a decent rod stands up to alot of abuse but Def not for finesse fishing not real sensitive .I hear the down rigging rods are not to bad. most guys will say no way but I dont mind it.

Yeah...forgot about my ugly stick leadcore rod. Big and bendy and has held up to a lot of abuse. Set the drag on stun!!

I have 2 that I rely heavily on for backpack fishing. The 4 1/2 "ultralight" and a 6'6". 10 years and still unbeaten. If you go traipsing through the bush and working the banks, fancy just won't last. Definitely not a finesse rod

How do you feel about these rods?

Honestly, I don't like the way the spinning poles load up. They bend at the tip section and thats it. The butt section remains stiff with hardly any flex. I could never get by that problem with the ugly sticks which is probably why I don't own any..

They are almost all I use for years I would buy the $100+ spinning rods to only break them I got sick of it and went back to the Ugly Stick they are great.

A few years back I found a new line of them with blue thread wrap on them I think they are called PRO SERIES? They are alot more sensitive then the normal UL ones and yes great for finesse fishing.

I also use them for trolling for musky what I use are the catfish rods they have a very sensitive tip (great to watch the rod for weeds) but great back bone for setting the hook and fighting a musky. all my family has them and the kids DON'T BREAK THEM. I will always stand behind a ugly Stick.

I must say yes there are better rods out there but you will be paying 4X as much for them and you will be afraid of them breaking my rods get stepped on banged in doors dropped and pretty much anything else and they keep on ticking.

They are what they are. Maybe the most durable rod out there, although Shimano has one now as well. Not as sensitive as most. What you get with one you give with the other. If you are using the outfit and sensing light bites is key, it would not be my choice.

Having said that, my uncle upgraded his fishing rod about 25 years ago to an ugly stick and using his mitchel reel from the 60s will still out fish the boat sometimes using a giant hook and a rubber core sinker. :dunno:

I did have an Ugly Stick Lite. I did like using this pole for eyes and bass however I didn't like the surface paint chipping off it and then the reel seat broke, that was the end of it. Now it's nothing but a garden stake! :sarcasm:

Did you contact them about the problem? I know they are great for over the counter replacement even if you break it. I had to have one replaced many years ago and it was past the 7 years they give but don't care just take it in and most places will take care of you. try sending the ma email especially if the top coat is coming off.

And the blue wrap ones are Ugly Stick Lite PRO and are very nice for finesse fishing. Not like the just LITE ones with orange wrap.

How do you feel about these rods?

The uglys are just that. Ugly,but ,tough as heck. I built a lot of downrigger rods for Lake Erie in the past...until Shakespeare quit selling blanks some 5-7 yrs.ago. They are 'unsanded', that's where the spiral ridges come from. Most blanks are obviously sanded in the final step of production & this lightens the rod's overall weight. Not the high modulus graphite of other higher end rod blanks, but, no IMX graphite will take what an ugly will.

As stated, if durability is your main concern, go for it.

I have been using Ugly Sticks for years. I did break the tip off of one and casted the end off once. They replaced both rods. I have a couple 7' Ugly Stick Lite and they are not too bad sensitive wise. I still have my Ugly Stick that I bought at the Sportsman's Show when I was sixteen (let's say that is over 20 years ago ;) ) and is still very usable. Very durable rods with an easy price.

I asked as I have 2 that my wife got for me, the combo's. I don't mind the rod's action when trolling but I hate it when casting. The sponge grip drives me nuts too if there is a hint of moisture in the air. So what are these combos worth? I've never looked at them to know as I am going to sell one or both off... :unsure:

Edited by GBW

I have 4 of them for sure, 2 spinning and 2 casting. The spinning rods, heavy action for big fish, but rods the kids and ex could use with out fear of damage, and they have survived for 25 years or so. The casting rods were bought for 20 bucks or so on close out, an inexpensive serviceable rod.

LOL 4 out of 40 or so?

Did you contact them about the problem? I know they are great for over the counter replacement even if you break it.

I never thought of that, I couldn't find the receipt but I went to crappie tire as I didn't want to drive up to LeBaron and told the guy what happened, not saying where I bought it hoping to get an exchange, (Why not try eh? All the crap I see pulled for refunds where I work) and he said no. You made good point, perhaps contacting them direct would result in a favourable solution.

I asked as I have 2 that my wife got for me, the combo's. I don't mind the rod's action when trolling but I hate it when casting. The sponge grip drives me nuts too if there is a hint of moisture in the air. So what are these combos worth? I've never looked at them to know as I am going to sell one or both off... :unsure:

Sell em both