Trucks.....

Gerritt

OK... I had a discussion with a friend today about trucks.... and how my F150 brought down the property value of the neighbourhood because it was parked in the driveway....

anyways I love my F150... it is a work truck through n though and has been tested over time as such a truck for my purpose....and was Highly rated by consumer reports for its year..... where as the Dodge.. was at the bottom of the list :) and yes I have the issue still... LOL

I just want to know where other OFC'rs Loyalties lie?

Ford

GMC

Chrysler

Toyota

Nissan etc.....

Lets not start a urination war here.... just looking for opinions...

You dodge guys good luck.... built RAM tough my arse.

LOL

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

1988 Chevy Suburban. Mint condition. 230 000 kms. Doesn't leak a drop of oil. Fires right up every time. Towing capability of 8800 lbs. Purrs like a kitten and passes everything but a gas station. :rolleyes: Use to have a Ford Bronco and like the Chevy alot more.

I bought one chrysler product new, a 73 dodge tradesman van, with in 6 months the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor, had to get my toe under it to pull it up. Took it to the corner gas station, LOL in those days they did repairs, the pivot arm that moved the linkage hadn`t been greased at the factory and was rusted and binding. An easy fix, but poor quality control.

I don`t buy Chrysler products because of issues delivering and picking up freight at the plants. Worst of the big 3 in my opinion.

We have had 3 Chevy Astro-GMC safari vans, I like the view from the drivers seat, dependable reliable, no major issues.

My best friend has had Ford vans or pickups for the 30+ years I have known him, been on trips with him no issues.

My former partner in tournies has had chevy pickups no problems either. I don`t buy new vehicles, they do.

I have had lots of used ford cars, just had transmission issues with them around 125,00 miles, they were older models 70`s.

I looked at an S-10 pickup before I bought my last van, took it for a test drive and just didn`t like the sight line from the drivers seat.

Well I have to disagree with you on that one Gerritt, I have owned a lot of vehicles in my life and by far both of my current Dodge Vehicles have blown me away. No worries when it comes to repairs or maintenance, although the truck eats gas the car makes up for it. In the past I have owned several Ford made products and none of them have ever given me the piece of mind that my dodge vehicles do... Maybe that is because I know a lot of the ppl working on the line at the Ford plants both in TO and in Ohio.

Dodge Ram Laramie, 5.3L Hemi, 20 Inch tires, and a tent for the bed of the truck for when you want to pull up beside the water and sleep a while... can't live better than that.

Unless of course you have this, and it will cost you $40,000 dollars and can only be driven on the ice ;)

Well,I think you all know what I'm going to say.....lol....Hey they All make lemons,just that ford makes alot more and why anyone would want to ride around on a Goat????.......lol......My last Chevy was 21 yrs old when I let her go and the kid I sold her to had a smile a mile wide as he pulled out of our driveway ......TC and tight lines all......Chuck.....

I traded a 2001 Montana for a 2004 Grand Caravan 2 1/2 years ago. Although I grudgingly have to say, at 70,000 klicks I've replaced 2 headlights, a brake light bulb, and 2 signal light bulbs, period, so far, so good! About 6 months ago a 'engine light' came on . . . nearly gave me a heart attack . . . . in the ol' days, this REALLY meant big trouble. Went to my dealer . . . wanted $89.95 to 'locate the problem,' I went to my mechanic, he plugged a l'il gizmo into the steering column, checked the code book . . . time to replace a little filter that supposedly cleans the cabin air. Guestimated about $100.00! He cancelled it out . . . no more problems! But . . G. M. refused to replace a rear wiper motor, 350 kilometres over warranty, or even give me a break on it, with the Montana . . . so much for customer service there, eh? But . . . . this Dodge may look nice, it even handles acceptibly, but just has that . . . . CHEAP (??) feel to it. Next year . . . . a new Montana . . . . they will bury me with it. Ford vans . . . . just hear too many horror stories about 'em! Japanese . . . I'd love to . . . . but I'm about $10,000.00 short of affording one! The reason I chose Dodge . . . . . pure & simple . . . . PRICE! And I got what I paid for . . . almost!

I checked back with the dealer, gave them the name of the part needed . . . . they STILL INSISTED they had to check it themselves ($89.95) and could only estimate, IF this was the problem, 'about $375.00,' with all taxes . . . . watta COMPLETE RIP-OFF! Oh yeah . . . leave it with them for a day . . . my garage would order the part, call me and do it while I waited!

Well Gerrit,I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500

I would buy another,simply because with 335 000 km,I have had no issue with it

My only issue is gas comsumption,dude ya dont even want to know how much gas I spend a year

repairs:wear and tear on ball joints and break,changed 1 water pump,1 tanny oil pan,catalitic concerter

Quite the lemon I got,Its squeezes the juice out me all the time,gas that is

it all comes down to maintenance and how you drive your vehical

I'd sell your truck if it is bringning down the property value :w00t:

Edited by marc thorpe

Geritt you have the right truck.I have had success with Honda's which I also like .I currently own a Honda Odessey which I am happy to own Had I not got such a good deal on it from someone I know I would have just bought another Ford.Before the van I had a 1994 Ford Taurus wagon which I bought 2 yrs old I drove it for 9 years I sold because I have 3 kids so I really needed a minivan to keep the peace in the back seat.Can't complain about my Taurus I just had to maintain Ti rods and ball joints.The 3 litre engine was trouble free and it had to be the most fuel efficient V6 I have ever owned.

I looked at the Honda Ridgeline pick up and it is not a real pick up not much cargo space in that cab.More like a truck for commuting.

For now I will drive the van and keep the peace in the back seat, but when it comes time to change it will be a Ford-150 4X4 for me.That is a real truck.

Number one selling vehicule in the US in 2006 was the Ford F series.

FORD :clapping: MTP

I have driven Ford, Chev and Dodge trucks. With that said I am definately a Ford guy. I have not driven a Dodge Hemi, but the Dodge that I did drive didn't have nearly the nuts that the Ford or Chev had, maybe the Hemi makes a difference. The Chev interior is like sitting at home in the lazyboy chair, very comfotable, but for some reason I don't like the steering wheels of the Chev.

Either way, if I still had my F150, I would have loved to challenge one of them big old Hemi's just so that I could have seen the look on the no-neck drivers face when I blew their doors off running down the road. I used to stomp all over imports at Cayuga, nothing better than a little ol' pickup truck running high 11's to the imports 13's.

cd.

I am partial to Ford pick ups but I have a 99 GMC Suburban that gets the job done.

The Ford trucksare quite a bit tougher than the GMC

Here is the 65,she has a bed full of railroad ties in this pic.

gallery_7_64_210400.jpg

Here is my 1975 that I picked up to drive while I restore the 65

gallery_7_64_55637.jpg

Over the winter Art and I took the power steering and power disc brakes off of a 1976 f250 and installed them on my 1965.Stops much better now.

Drums

gallery_7_64_68952.jpg

Discs

gallery_7_64_22012.jpg

Edited by Daplumma

Uh oh .... I have a 2004 "Dodge" Dakota. I must say that I've never had a lick of trouble with it and I'll be keeping this one until she dies. I had a Nissan Frontier before and just loved it. When I upgraded to a larger boat, it was just too much for the Frontier to pull. Had I not upgraded the boat, I'd still have the Frontier. It was a great truck, never had a problem with it, and in a way, I miss it. (Not to say I also miss the 6 CD changer the Frontier had). I guess I have no real loyalty to one make over another. It's all in what I (I mean my wife) appeals to us.

Just to put things in perspective, my dad bought a brand new chevy pickup in 1961 and paid a grand total of $1800 including options.

Today it costs nearly that much to fill a gas tank :lol:

It was pretty well identical to this one, cept it had the wide box and was the vehicle I learned to drive in.

1961chevypkup111602.jpg

Guest Trophymuskie

First off I would never buy a Dodge, they are to trucks what Legend is to boats. ( CHEAP )

Secondly I would never buy a Ford because I'm a GM guy. Found On Road Dead or Fix Or Repair Dailey.

Third I would never buy an import, I still believe in buying a domestic car even if the imports are built here the top dogs are still overseas and so are the parts.

Now GMC or Chevrolet is the same to me both are great trucks and never had a problem with any I have owed. Especially my 2004 Avalanche, I've got 110 000 Kms on it and just changed tires and my back breaks need to be taken care of on my next oil change, only oil changes and a few fuses so far. As well I get over 600 Kms for a 100 liters of gas, no bad for a tank.

BTW my wife's 2006 Epica ( Epic stands for lemon ) that we were stupid enough to lease for 4 years has been in the shop more times then I can count ( at least 8 ) in less then a year. Last summer I asked my dealer if there is anything we can do to get rid of the lemon and this is what I was told. Pay off you remaining lease payments and give us the car back or pay off you remaining lease payments plus the $9k buy back and the car is yours to sell. I'm still not sure what to do as we have that car for another 3 years and naturally everything is still covered under warranty but what happens after we pass the 60 000km? I think I need to hope someone to run into it ( hard ) while parked and be written off by the insurance company.

When I was afield tech. My most impotent tool was my truck.

All one ton heavies

1981 ford F super duty, with a 460, ton and a half.360K

1985 ford F super duty special edition. 4 cyl international, 21/2 ton.280K

1987 GMC 3500hd.6.2desiel, 2 ton.490K

1991 GMC 3500 hd,6.5 diesel 3ton560 K

1993 dodge 3500 extra hd.360. 21/2 ton 36K.

there a saying in my trade. Sooner or later your truck is not going to be big enough.

Personal trucks.

1975 F super duty,390.310 K

1987 GMC 1500 wt,350. 480K

1991 GMC 1500 z71,350,480 K

2003 GMC 2500hd,6.6 diesel,130 K.

So now I'll start.

81 ford lots of power. very hard to start in winter.Hard to stop.

85 ford, not bad for power.Very loud. wouldn't start in winter. Hard to stop.

both fords where very hard to steer when over loaded.

always love the heat that came out of a ford.

87 GMC.low power. would carry a over load but not very well.

91GMC.pretty good power.didn't start in winter.This truck did Evey thing I ask of it.

93 dodge, what a piece of junk.gave it back. wouldn't carry air.

As of 99 i wouldn't buy a 1/2 ton. I'm not in the car market.

In the half ton market thier all not bad trucks.

I would still buy GMC. Best In load, best in tow, best in fuel.

This is what I think of dodge.

gallery_19_188_30972.jpg

Now thats a BURN Robin.

Edited by Tybo

I like the fords have always had one and had no problems ever. However you gotta love the GMC's.

no dodges here. when I was young and my father with his ford and his friend with his chev, always did all the haying, while my uncle worked on his dodge.

Pictured is my '85 Scottsdale. Still only 135,000 original kms.....parked winters and only tows the boat, picks up occasional new furniture, other truck stuff. Runs excellent, rides good (actually better with the boat attached) and usually only costs me a few hundred bucks a year in maintenance. Pretty easy to work on and gets about 21mpg on the highway and 15mpg while towing the boat. Only problem I have is that the original electric window motors crapped out and had to be replaced. The regulators were replaced at that time as well. The new GM motors barely have enough power to move the windows....so now I'm looking at switching from electric windows to manual, maybe gets some from a junkyard. I think GM made some pretty good stuff back then but personally I wouldn't touch any of the big three with a 10' pole nowadays. If I ever need to get something newer it'll probably be a Toyota.

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

Funny thread :lol: . Keep it up guys..... I work on vehicles for a living and see all types of trucks and cars. I grew up as a kid on GM stuff.All my dad ever used..As an apprentice started out in a Ford dealership(ironic). My point of view on pickups right now of the domestics is Ford is probably the best of them. They are not without their problems but my customers seem to be more satisfied compared to GM and Dodge. GM has been more problematic of them all. Check engine lights....geez GM get this fixed up..o2 sensors, fuel pumps,front end(steering/suspension) :wallbash: . Dodge? well where do I start? Ford -rear differential bearings and tie rod ends. No wonder people are going asian.Personally drive a 96 Ford 4x4 and has 250,000 k on it..Last of the old style truck..Been a gem of a truck. Bought it used 3 years ago-good deal. Was one of my customers truck. No one wanted to give him anything on a trade in. If it had of been a GM or a Dodge I likely would have bought it too. No brand loyalty here anymore. Kind of sad in a way. Keep on truckin' guys and gals. :D

Edited by Nipissing

Unfortunately Chrysler hasn't made a good vehicle since 1970 !

3-birdsm.jpg

Back when.... Plymouth, for me anyhow, stood for "Please Lay Your Money On The Hood" when I ran Carling Ave in Ottawa and the Drags in Luskville Qc. I had no issues taking GM/Ford owners money for a 1/4 mile worth of gas to do it.

And Richard...with all them Accronyms you spouted.. GMC must stand for.... your Grand Mother's Chrylser...

TYBO LOL ! That explains it well !

I've had them all in the yard ('87 3500 GMC Cargo Van/2 Aerostars/3 Suburbans/3 Sierra k1500's- still using a '98 to plow snow/1 Durango/1 Dodge 1500 pickup at the plant) and like was already said...everyone builds lemons. Unfortunately the above area in brackets lists most of them lemons! Leah's Durango had less than 60k when all the ball joints were already shot. Motor pooched the intake gaskets at 61,000 and was burning antifreeze to suppliment gas mileage. Oil pressure was lost shortly afterwards when idling and I used that POS as a trade towards my 2003 F150 Super Crew with the little V8. Absolulely no issues going thru 65k other than a defectively mfg exhaust system that was noisy/rattling. Baffles fell out of the big can and it was replaced a month back N/C. That little V8 will pull anything my 350 power Sierra did.

Leah's driving a 2003 Sport Trac with the V6. The first one she bought had a bit of a lemon smell to it, with a leaky transmission, and what did the dealer do about it? Went and found another identically coloured/optioned truck, swapped all her licence documents and she started fresh again with a new truck after 5000km. She has 60k on it now and has had one brake caliper seize (probably from sitting all summer in the garage without use). Covered by warrantee and they did the other three wheels while they were at it.

My Father-in-law is like your neighbour Gerritt. Constantly says "why the H did you guys buy Ford's". "You're not that broke are you"...and then I listen to him whine about all the issues with his Avalanche...and My sister in law whine about all the issues with her Trailblazer and the other sister inlaw whine about her Suburban.....

If that's what it takes to raise my property value...I'm not interested!

Edited by irishfield