Trucks.....

Gerritt

Now Tybo,I like the new logo

Maybe I"ll have mine all changed on my Dodge

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with your work trucks.

Working with your vehical really gives you a better assesement of what you need in a truck.

Great point about 1/2 and 3/4 tons

I should be changing in next 2 years ,My mind is not made up

When I was afield tech. My most impotent tool was my truck.

All one ton heavies

1981 ford F super duty, with a 460, ton and a half.360K

1985 ford F super duty special edition. 4 cyl international, 21/2 ton.280K

1987 GMC 3500hd.6.2desiel, 2 ton.490K

1991 GMC 3500 hd,6.5 diesel 3ton560 K

1993 dodge 3500 extra hd.360. 21/2 ton 36K.

there a saying in my trade. Sooner or later your truck is not going to be big enough.

Personal trucks.

1975 F super duty,390.310 K

1987 GMC 1500 wt,350. 480K

1991 GMC 1500 z71,350,480 K

2003 GMC 2500hd,6.6 diesel,130 K.

So now I'll start.

81 ford lots of power. very hard to start in winter.Hard to stop.

85 ford, not bad for power.Very loud. wouldn't start in winter. Hard to stop.

both fords where very hard to steer when over loaded.

always love the heat that came out of a ford.

87 GMC.low power. would carry a over load but not very well.

91GMC.pretty good power.didn't start in winter.This truck did Evey thing I ask of it.

93 dodge, what a piece of junk.gave it back. wouldn't carry air.

As of 99 i wouldn't buy a 1/2 ton. I'm not in the car market.

In the half ton market thier all not bad trucks.

I would still buy GMC. Best In load, best in tow, best in fuel.

This is what I think of dodge.

gallery_19_188_30972.jpg

Now thats a BURN Robin.

And Richard...with all them Accronyms you spouted.. GMC must stand for.... your Grand Mother's Chrylser...

Now Thats Funny :w00t:

First off I would never buy a Dodge, they are to trucks what Legend is to boats. ( CHEAP )

Sheesh,

Go ahead and bad mouth my truck all you want, I couldn't care less. But when you comment on my boat,being a Legend and calling it cheap, you've gone too far. I know there are better, I'm sure everyone has an opinion on it, but to a fisherman that's a low blow. If this was a truck message board I would understand, but it's not.

I'm gonna go outside, push the snow off it, and give her a hug. canadian.gif

Hookset.

Did you expect any different,looks like a membership drive to me

Edited by marc thorpe

I think it all comes down to what has treated you well in the past. My family has had good luck with GM products and not so good luck with Ford's and Dodge's. Standing behind their product is what to look for in a company. That's why GM may have lost me as a long time customer.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/low.../March05001.jpg

The old girl in the back has a rebuilt tranny and motor replaced between 270 and 300 thousand but it tows the boat better than the newer one. The '05 gets great gas mileage ,is a comfortable ride and has tonnes more power than the '95 which has a bigger motor. The only draw back for the '05 was at 60 thousand the lifters started making noise. This is where I feel GM falls on their face, customer service. Trying to get this fixed under warranty was like getting teeth pulled without painkillers. Long story short they replaced the left side lifters only??? Because of all this I will look to another brand for our next car or truck. Fighting for repairs when you have video of the problem is horsepucky!

Chris.

Guest Trophymuskie
Unfortunately Chrysler hasn't made a good vehicle since 1970 !

3-birdsm.jpg

Back when.... Plymouth, for me anyhow, stood for "Please Lay Your Money On The Hood" when I ran Carling Ave in Ottawa and the Drags in Luskville Qc. I had no issues taking GM/Ford owners money for a 1/4 mile worth of gas to do it.

And Richard...with all them Accronyms you spouted.. GMC must stand for.... your Grand Mother's Chrylser...

TYBO LOL ! That explains it well !

I've had them all in the yard ('87 3500 GMC Cargo Van/2 Aerostars/3 Suburbans/3 Sierra k1500's- still using a '98 to plow snow/1 Durango/1 Dodge 1500 pickup at the plant) and like was already said...everyone builds lemons. Unfortunately the above area in brackets lists most of them lemons! Leah's Durango had less than 60k when all the ball joints were already shot. Motor pooched the intake gaskets at 61,000 and was burning antifreeze to suppliment gas mileage. Oil pressure was lost shortly afterwards when idling and I used that POS as a trade towards my 2003 F150 Super Crew with the little V8. Absolulely no issues going thru 65k other than a defectively mfg exhaust system that was noisy/rattling. Baffles fell out of the big can and it was replaced a month back N/C. That little V8 will pull anything my 350 power Sierra did.

Leah's driving a 2003 Sport Trac with the V6. The first one she bought had a bit of a lemon smell to it, with a leaky transmission, and what did the dealer do about it? Went and found another identically coloured/optioned truck, swapped all her licence documents and she started fresh again with a new truck after 5000km. She has 60k on it now and has had one brake caliper seize (probably from sitting all summer in the garage without use). Covered by warrantee and they did the other three wheels while they were at it.

My Father-in-law is like your neighbour Gerritt. Constantly says "why the H did you guys buy Ford's". "You're not that broke are you"...and then I listen to him whine about all the issues with his Avalanche...and My sister in law whine about all the issues with her Trailblazer and the other sister inlaw whine about her Suburban.....

If that's what it takes to raise my property value...I'm not interested!

Wow we have a lot more in common then you would think. I used to run Carling Avenue back in the 80's. And my Challenger was a '70 and even though it was a stock 318 in her I would be taking on Mustangs and Cameros all the time. Naturally I was only doing 0-60 on streets.

My few trips at Luskville thought me that I needed a 6 pack. LOL I think I was in the 14's but it was a rocket from 0-60 in 5 seconds. I also burned a set of tires on my first trip to Luskville LOL and maybe a couple other burnout around home.

But I did go over 140 on Strandheard in a friend's Duster, wow these days that's the main mall strip in Barrhaven. LOL

As for carling Ave. I used to owed a 73 Duster with a slant 6 and remember taking the curves under the Queensways at 60+ and fast enough that the tires were rubbing on the fenders. As well one time I exited the Queensway westbound exit at Maitland Ave. doing 80 and still at by the time I got to Maitland. Man those Canadian tire 2 plys sure could take a beating.

Ah the good ole days of Mopar power. :clapping:

And Hooset please forgive me but it's ovious that Dodge Trucks are to GMC and Ford what Legend boats are to Crestliner and Lund, sorry if the truth hurts but that's the facts.

Edited by Trophymuskie

Yuppys have caused the demise of the Pickup Truck. A tennis ball can dint any of them.

And all so pritty that they never get to see the bush ( l scratched my paint).

l will take any domestic pickup from 1970 put a cage on it and roll it down hills. That F650 Suv, what crap. What path are you going to take it down no differance than the hummer you will be wedged into the trees or take out the roof on a big branch. Thats when some kid in his Sazuki Hip Check wiggls buy. There is no true 4x4 truck any more anything you buy new has to be modifide. l'm Probably going after the Jeep 4 door but l will have to put a ton of cash to make it bush worthy and to hell with the paint. Peace

I now drive all chev/gmc. My latest addition is a 06 savana diesel just 14,000 kms young. My father in law is the parts guy at Surgenors in Ottawa. He has worked there his whole career. The first pick-up truck I brought home was a late model Ford Ranger Edge. He took the purchase in stride. One of the jokes I do remember was a conversation I had with one of his neighbour. While walking up to the inlaws one day I heard,

"I heard that truck has all the options, even has a heated tailgate"

"Heated tailgate?" I exclaimed. "Ya, its standard on all fords, for when it breaks down, and you have to push it!"

I think I was finally allowed back in to the family after I traded that ford for a gmc.

Nothing but tranny problems with that ford. I'll never go back

Well I cant help but be a bit biased. Some are born Catholics, others Protestants... I was born into a GM family.

Currently driving a '05 Jimmy & am very happy with it 30,000km in.

My wife however work for Toyota & I gotta admitt, those Tundras are sweet. Apparently they cant be kept on the yard long enough to ask for a test drive...do i dare cross the final frontier and own an import??

i dunno.... I'd hate to be written out of my father's will

We have about 10 trucks at the shop where I work. 1 Ford and the rest are Chevys. The Ford is a 95, the oldest of the fleet. We work them pretty hard. I work at a steel fabricating shop and we haul some pretty heavy stuff all over Northwestern Ontario. I did have a problem with the 95 Ford once. I had a flat tire. Sorry, but I can't hold back any longer. GM is crap. There is constantly issues with them. Build quality is terrible. On half of the Chevs you need a screw driver or a crow bar to open the tail gate. The heater fans on most of them squeal like a cat that's been left for dead on the side of the road. That is if you can turn the heater on. The knobs are stripped on a few of them. There's a couple of broken plastic door handles. It's always nice entering the truck from the passenger side. Last month my partner and I had to drive about 800 km's in -50 temps in a 2004 GM. I was driving. He was freezing in the passenger seat and I was sweating in the drivers seat. I mentioned this to the boss when we got back and he said that his 3 month old GM does that too. Nice!!! I can go on and on. I do a lot of work at a mine north of here. I talked to one one the mechanics up there a while back. He's a Chevy freak, but admits that the Fords on the mine site kick the crap out of the Chevys. And you can bet that they're worked pretty hard up there. So, if you want a nice pretty truck to drive around town with, a Chev will do. If you want a truck to do some work, buy a Ford. I have no opinion on Dodge as I haven't even been in one as far as I can remember. I drive a 96 Ford F-150 4x4. It hasn't been in the shop for anything in years. Turn the key and it starts. Put in in drive and away I go...

I don't know how accurate the chart is but based on Mistyriver1's chart, Chrysler's Trucks have been on the rise. IMHO due to all the cross-overs that they keep making up in the truck section. GM's trucks were still the top picks. One thing to note from the chart, Toyota is the only company that saw positive growth in all three sections. That should also tell someone in the Big 3 to wake up, but will they? I probably think not, plus too many Union barriers to improve the trucks any great deal.

IMO US trucks are for those who need heavier working trucks and will have to compromise with the fuel. The Japanese trucks are meant for the lighter duty uses and more daily commuting thus having better fuel economy.

I think I'll probably look at Japanese cars the next time around but if I were in the market for a truck, I'd probably shop around for a GM, if the fuel situation improves.

HearingFish

Does anyone here own a Toyota Tundra 4x4?

Seriously looking at these trucks, they are niiice!

Tony

Tony, I have one. You saw it when we fished Bronte last fall. I absolutely love it. It kicks donkey off road, too.

I expect to get about 500,000 kms out of it.

gallery_105_173_27941.jpg

Edited by Fishnfiend

Dodge did a re design on thier trucks a few years ago, first change under the tin in something like 30 years so they may or not be a pos but they're not the same old pos that we remember..

Someone could make a fortune building simple utillity vehicles, 4 wheels, a motor and tranny, something to sit on with a box behind it, no computors abs or all that other stuff, maybe call it a lorry cause trucks are gettingto be all fluff , no work and too much $.

Ford lost 42 million in 2006,must be a great product, Who in there right mind would ever buy a ford now they will be building there products with parrts from the lowest bidder, oh sorry they have been for years!!!

Darn near EVERY part in the automotive industry is from the lowest bidder..from seat belts to light bulbs so you can't base a vehicle on that. Trust me...and GM is the worst with their parts quoting requesitions for brow beating and price discounts in future years. Standard policy is to quote a price and then while material costs increase they want to see a 3 or 4% price reduction on piece price in the 2nd/3rd and 4th year if a continuation part. Their thoughts are you will have learned to streamline it's production and increase output volume per same cost..thus lowering the piece price. Reality is.... to meet said price reductions...quality suffers due to faster cycle times/assembly. Been there...done that..for 22 years! And by the way...Toyota has the same piece price structure on their request for quotes...

Edited by irishfield

Sooo crusty is not just your moniker? what is wrong with this thread? Alot of us own/tow boats... and most of those people owning boats use trucks to tow them... completely fishing related.. and totally civilized... if you dont like the thread please feel free to ignore it. :)

Gerritt.

Crusty's afraid we may actually prove that them "Grand Mother's Chryslers" he drives..aint what they were 20 years ago... 3 hours plowing snow drifts today in my uncomfortable '98 Sierra seat, with that crappy over pressurizing power steering doing it's own thing is enough for this week. Thankfully Dano and mine's midnight run North on Friday am will be in the comfort of my F150 Super crew seats.