Need a new BBQ

Gerritt

Well I am in the market for a new gas grill... it has been awhile since I have had a need to look at them 10+ years..

are there any MUST have features I should be looking for?

My budget for this purchase is 0-$1000.00

Thanks in advance!

G

Hey Gerritt,

Long time! I have always owned Broil King and never had issues. The Broil King Sovereign is a real nice unit.

Mark

Well I am in the market for a new gas grill... it has been awhile since I have had a need to look at them 10+ years..

are there any MUST have features I should be looking for?

My budget for this purchase is 0-$1000.00

Thanks in advance!

G

my suggestion, go to ontario gas bbq's at langstaff and edgeley blvd (just east of hwy 400). they have every kind of grill you could possibly imagine in there. they are also very knowledgeable and will steer you to the best bbq based not only on your budget, but what you like to cook.

i bought a broil king sovereign there a couple years ago and it still works like the day i bought it. if i could make a suggestion, get the 3/8" stainless grill plates. they hold the heat and keep clean. i personally don't like the coated ceramic grill plates.

$1000 or $149.. still cooks your steak the same! Our CTC special, that our daughter has even run down with the Sierra, is still cooking after 12 years. Just about time for a new BURNER... :)

Amazing anyone gets ahead in this world anymore.. $3000 BBQ's... $150/month cell phones.. $100/month cable... Bring back an open fire pit and 3 channel rabbit ears!! :D

Hey Mark! no doubt it has been a long time! I am back on the 1-4 again. Drop by sometime

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am going to swing by Chadwicks and Hacks to take a looksee

G

I bought the Broil King Crown 90 at Sears for about $500. It comes with the rotisserie kit, rear burner, side burner and awesome cast iron grills. It also has the stainless grill plates. A great grill at a great price with a great warranty...5 years on burner and life time on the casting. Good luck!

K

Latest barbie we got had to have the side burner---for deep frying french fries or whatever.

Don't care what anyone says about the stand alone fryrs with a lid for your countertop---kitchen still smells like a greasy spoon

We got a 3 burner job from Wally world---couple hundred bucks---seems good ---propane though

You gotta take a look at Napoleon. I bought a Prestige II last year around this time. This is about the best built BBQ I've ever come across. 10 year replacement warranty on the burners, lifetime on most everything else.

I got a simple 3 burner unit (no side burner or rear rotisserie) for $800. The thing is a breeze to take apart and clean, gives good even heat and best of all, it's built in Ontario (though some models are now built in China). I couldn't be happier, and believe me, I had no plans of spending $800 on a BBQ at the time. I'm hoping it's the last one I ever have to buy.

I have a Centro 6800 which CT kindly donated for services rendered. An amazing grill top of the line.

If you want to check out grills visit Ontario Gas BBQ on Langstaff just east of the 400, some are 10 thousand +

Irish summed it up just right . . . I've cooked over an open fire with wood (fishing trips) never tasted anything better especially when using pine.

Keep them well maintained and they will last a long time. The gas that comes out of a $1000 model is the same as $149.

Gerrit, your rib recipe still ranks #1

Gerritt,

Money does not always buy happiness! LOL

About 3 years ago, I went out to HD to buy the BBQ that i thought would last me a lifetime. I paid $1,200.00 for a fancy stainless steel Ducane.

Turns out, Ducane sold out to Weber a while back.

Turns out this piece of crap was built offshore and is no longer made. I found this out when all five burners rotted out after the first year. They were pretty good about supplying burners under warranty, but what happens when the warranty runs out? Very disappointed to say the least. I've had the $149.00 ones from CTC or Zellers that lasted much longer than this one will.

I thought I was buying a deluxe unit made by a premier North American manufacturer. Apparently, not everything is as it appears.

I did buy a Natural Gas model though which is very nice to have. No more running out for Propane.

Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for their input. I went out looking at them today, man there is ALOT to choose from.... I think I might have found the unit right for me.. but want to do a bit of research on it first..

http://www.bbqing.com/store/shop/showproduct.cfm?id=77&catid=2&subid=18&startrow=1&urlclass=1&html=Signet_70_%3Cbr%3E_with_Rotisserie_and_Rear_Burner_77.html

I think $500.00 is a decent middle of the road BBQ... the one thing I always hated about the cheaper units (like the one I am replaceing) is the uneven heat. this unit wont do that...

I am also looking at the Crown 90

I was also looking at a charcoal unit (I still prefer charcoal) but they are impractical for whipping up a few sausages or burgers on a whim..

Anyways I am going to read a few reviews etc.. and see how this unit rates.

Thanks again everyone.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Mine is CTC Centro, there is 2 things I like about the particular one I have. first the grills are very heavy duty cast iron and second the rear burner for the rotisserie is not a simple single tube with holes but a long catalytic bar, if I have to replace in the future those are two features I would demand from another unit. The rotisserie with the main burners off and a drip pan is a joy to use after the old one with constant flare ups cause you cooked with the main burners on rotisserie. Nothing beats seasoned cast iron grill grates either, ocassional scrub down and brush with oil .

You want a BBQ that delivers even heat.Also you want to make sure your BBQ is built with quailty material.Cast iron grill and stainless still burners and drip catch burnners.

I would suggest you look at the Nepolian brand.

I do alot of indirect heat cooking,and this takes it,s toll on the less standard materials.

Also the newer stuff is made from thin cheap metal.They hold no heat really.Cast outer molds are the best.

Good luck with your search G.

Lots of Broil King's in your price range (also Broil Mate and Sterling, also made by OMC in Waterloo), or Napoleon Prestige (made in Barrie).

Nice to buy a Canadian made product in these times as well. I would shy away from the Centro's, Blue Ember (Fiesta), etc. as they are all made in China.....

Burt :)

Nice to buy a Canadian made product in these times as well. I would shy away from the Centro's, Blue Ember (Fiesta), etc. as they are all made in China.....

You would be surprised at the amount of parts that are made for Napoleon by China.The one thing though,they are made to Napoleon standards.

For those that dont know,Napoleon is German own.

You would be surprised at the amount of parts that are made for Napoleon by China.The one thing though,they are made to Napoleon standards.

For those that dont know,Napoleon is German own.

I don't know if I would be overly surprised, seems that most small parts are made in China now a days. At least they still assemble in Canada!

Note, the Napoleon's available through Canadian Tire (Ted Reader models) are assembled in China too...

I don't know if I would be overly surprised, seems that most small parts are made in China now a days. At least they still assemble in Canada!

Note, the Napoleon's available through Canadian Tire (Ted Reader models) are assembled in China too...

Assembled in Barrie. We stamp and assemble thier burners.

We also stampout thier side burners.

It,s a German connection.LOL

Edited by BrianB

I have a Napoleon also, Best built BBQ I have ever owned. If you cook a lot of steaks you might want to look at the one with the Side Searing infrared plate. CTC has them on Special every once in a while. I bought one this spring $150.00 off. Best buy I ever made.

This is the one I bought http://www.napoleongrills.com/Gourmet-grills/Mirage/M485RSIB.html

Edited by wallyboss

Hey G!

Take it from a guy who BBQ's atleast 200 days a year, get the Napoleon! Quality through and through and they do have units within your price range.

I'm on my 11th season with my Vermont Castings, but I would not recommend them to anyone, not based on their product, but based on their lack of customer service.

As someone already mentioned, the Big Green Egg should be somehting to consider. althought they are charcoal based, their design will have you cooking in ten minutes and they will give you the convenience of a gas grill, with all the goodness you get from a charcoal grill.

Key things to seek when purchasing a BBQ:

-weight... a good indicator of the grills ability to retain heat which provides a platform for even cooking.

-no "H" burners...please!

-cast iron or stainless steel grills

-save some dough on accessories... if you aren't gonna use them, don't buy them!

Hope this helps?

HH

PS... buy the Napoleon!!!!!!!

And here's yet another reason why...

My bother bought an entry level Napoleon about 15 years ago... came with a 20 year warrantee on the burners. About Five years ago, he noticed some flamage coming from one of the burners. He called Napoloen, decribed his problem and they told him they would take care of him.

So, not so long afterwards, he came home from work and found that his BBQ had been moved, curiously, he removed the cover only to find that a repair man had arrived, changed out the burners and completely cleaned the BBQ, NO CHARGE!

Now that my friends is a company that wants my money... and will get it as soon as my VC has cooked it's last batch of chicken wings!

Well that is a good story Joe!!! Nice to see service like that! If you know me you know I BBQ ALOT! year round. and my current BBQ gave up the ghost and is no longer worth fixing. I have been doing a bunch of research on the BGE, and from what I can so far... I LIKE IT! That was my one concern with charcoal, was the time it took to get them going... but I do love charcoal!!! and it appears the BGE is a great little unit! Pricey, but good.. The girl at the showroom informed me they are an "investment" lol

I have added it to my list.

Thanks! hopefully next weekend I will be burning some beef!

G