Just lost a friend today to the big C

Big Cliff

Just got word today that a girl that I grew up with, actually her grandfather and my dad were best friends and after my dad died her grandfather was my mentor. Jane was only 61 years old and while we had lost touch for a few years while we were getting married and raising our families about 30 years ago we found each other kind of by accident and sort of stayed in touch after that. About 10 years ago when we moved up here to the Kawarthas, Jane was living just across the lake from us and I would stop in and see her from time to time.

We always had such wonderful conversations and could make each other laugh no matter what was going on in our lives. She was the kindest sweetest person you could ever hope to meet. If you were hungry, she would feed you, needed a place to stay; her door was always open, needed someone to talk to, she would always listen, had an animal that needed rescuing, she was there (at times her house looked like a zoo) LOL.

Jane hadn't been well for the last few years, operations for this and that, always in pain but always had a smile. I suspected there was something seriously wrong about 8 months ago when I stoped by and she was curled up in her favorite chair with a blanket around her, it was a warm day. She struggled to get up to go and put a pot of coffee on and I ended up doing it for her, she was obviously in a lot of pain.

Just before Christmas she confided in me that they had found a tumor on her spine and she was going to have to go for radiation. She was scared! We had many talks in the next few weeks about hope, cures, and the big "what if"!

The radiation really took it's toll on her, she couldn't eat, was in so much pain that sometimes she could hardly smile but smile she always did. Sometimes she even managed to laugh at my corny jokes! After the first round of radiation, she started to seem to go down hill faster, then they found more tumors on her neck and more radiation.

That was only about a month ago. On her way to one of her treatments she went to get out of the car and her hip broke. They operated. then they found out that when she had fallen, she had also broken her neck; they operated on that.

She was transfered back here to Lindsay about two weeks ago from Kingston so her family and friends could be close and she passed away today about 1:00 pm. her kids were by her side.

The world has just lost another good one! she will be missed by many but never forgotten!

It's a terrible thing to see a friend suffer.....helplessly standing by, almost waiting for the deliverance. You both will have made memories. Remember those good times Cliff, because that is her legacy to you.

My condolences.

My condolences. Keep her spirit alive with the great memories you have. Cancer has taken many of my closest, including my mother in a slow a painful one. To her grandchildren my Mum she is still a star - only now she twinkles in the sky instead of sharing the twinkle in her eye.

My deepest condolences Cliff.

Life can be cruel. Wednesday night my daughter came over the tell us that she was having a baby girl, her first; less that 24 later her godmother and a very dear friend of ours got the bad news that she has stomach cancer.

It's a terrible thing to see a friend suffer.....helplessly standing by, almost waiting for the deliverance. You both will have made memories. Remember those good times Cliff, because that is her legacy to you.

My condolences.

Your my friend Cliff so I wanted to say something meaningful and nice. I could not possible do better then what Roy had to say. Thank you Roy for that.

Cliff you have known a great person. Honor her memory by keeping her in your heart. She sounds like a keeper

I feel your pain Cliff. I too lost a lifetime buddy 2 years ago this Summer to cancer. He was diagnosed in March and left us before the summer was half gone. It is a hard blow and it reminds me that we have to take life one day at a time and do our best to let all the crap go in one ear and out the other so we can have a good time and enjoy each hour to the fullest. Like the song "says, "We're Here For A Good Time, Not A long Time."

Keep you chin up and keep your memories close.

Sorry to hear that bud! I know how you feel... I've lost a few good friends in my time which actually hasn't been very long. I'm still a youngin' yet. One of those friends (by the name of Kyle Lamb) happened to be either 13 or 14 (my memory is horrible) when he got into a snowboarding accident. My other good buddy was right there by his side while he died. after I moved my buddy ended up getting into drugs and what not. kinda sad to hear he went that way.

One of my other friends (Justin Thibeault) just recently got hit by a truck attempting to cross a road with another fellow (Matt Clement). justin got transferred to a few different hospitals through the province and im pretty sure it was either ottawa or london he stayed in for the rest of his recovery. after the accident his health went downhill with a collapsed lung and alot of other things he had to fight through. he made it though! but the sad part is he'll never be the same. it kind of bothers me how much he has changed. we dont regularly talk anymore and if we do its usually "hey, hows it goin" and nothing past that. matt on the other hand just suffered a broken pelvis and a few other broken bones. he's just fine. I still hope overtime though me and Justin will start talking more and eventually build that friendship back up.

Far to many people being lost to this nasty disease, hopefully someday they'll find better treatments and perhaps a cure for cancer.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend Cliff.

I don't post often as quite frankly i generally only fish in the summer months.But i always read your post's Cliff.You've now brought a tear to my eye.Special people have special friends and i'm sure you have plenty.My condolences to you.May she R.I.P.