And they wonder why people get angry!

Big Cliff

Guest Johnny Bass

Poaching is a criminal offense. If the MNR are too busy, they should call the OPP/cops. At this rate our fishery will be destroyed in no time. All I hear are people calling the MNR and nobody showing up! Crappie and Salmon are one thing, but bass and pickeral is another. Considering all the poaching I've been hearing and seeing, the MNR could easily fund themselves catching all these poachers.

Maybe a "GAURDIAN OUTDOORS MANAGEMENT TEAM/GROUP.

Ya know,like the Gaurdian Angels.????????????????????

Never mind. :canadian:

Like my pop said to me last year.There was a time where ignorance got a slap up the side of head,now you just look and say, what the hell has become????????

SRY for the edit, but ya know what,back in the day,and not so far back,a slap up side the head, really meant something. :worthy:

Edited by BrianB

Poaching is a criminal offense. If the MNR are too busy, they should call the OPP/cops. At this rate our fishery will be destroyed in no time. All I hear are people calling the MNR and nobody showing up! Crappie and Salmon are one thing, but bass and pickeral is another. Considering all the poaching I've been hearing and seeing, the MNR could easily fund themselves catching all these poachers.

Oh dont worry, time will tell.The pictures posted, now to find the exact area where it was taken(landed).I know from him telling me it was caught in the sanct.

Like my pop said to me last year.There was a time where ignorance got a slap up the head,now you just look and say, what the hell has become????????

Briamb, there was a program as such at one point.I beleive as a co told me.Its gone due to liability issues.That was his opinion.

Yes there was a Guardian program..I was in it for a few years. It was axed for a lack of resources.

Also there gave been references to peoples ethnicity in this thread. A poacher is a poacher and where they were born is of no consequence.

True indeed rick.Some places i go to, the good gents get the evil eye from many around.These gents in particular are the nicest people ive met and very generous.They have been accepted by the locals as good people indeed.As for poachers theres a bunch in every batch.

Like my pop said to me last year.There was a time where ignorance got a slap up the side of head,now you just look and say, what the hell has become????????

SRY for the edit, but ya know what,back in the day,and not so far back,a slap up side the head, really meant something. :worthy:

Like Batman?

Edited by ReTodd

Yes there was a Guardian program..I was in it for a few years. It was axed for a lack of resources.

Is there any hope of reviving this program? If we put some pressure on the MNR would they be willing to give this or a spin off program a shot? I've become very frustrated by some of the things I've seen and would like to do something about it. I'd certainly be willing to give some time to assist if a program existed. Other than continuing to make the phone calls is there anything else us responsible anglers can do?

And I'm not just directing this at Rick, but anyone who has any ideas, lets hear them.

Is there any hope of reviving this program? If we put some pressure on the MNR would they be willing to give this or a spin off program a shot? I've become very frustrated by some of the things I've seen and would like to do something about it. I'd certainly be willing to give some time to assist if a program existed. Other than continuing to make the phone calls is there anything else us responsible anglers can do?

And I'm not just directing this at Rick, but anyone who has any ideas, lets hear them.

First, the management admin of the MNR have to be convinced of the value and viability, but more importantly, one has to convince the politicians to cough up adequate coin and commitment for such a program.

To be honest, the folks at Queeen's Park can't see beyond the next election, let alone throw together planning for a future one to two decades from now. That goes for Mcguinty and Hudak

Well, I am starting my own program right here. So if you live in the Lindsay area, are willing to give up a couple of hours of your time once a week and would like to do something other that just talk about it. PM me.

There will be no confrontation, we will simply observe,doccument, and report. We won't stop poaching in this area but we can sure make it more difficult to get away with. Even if we only take one poacher out of the loop it will be worth it.

Good on ya for getting organized Cliff. I've often thought of getting some bumper stickers made up in bright Orange or Pink that say "POACHER" on them for the guys who fish Mountsberg illegally. Of course 2 wrongs don't make a right and I wouldn't be able to restrain myself in a confrontation. As for the racial profiling, it makes me very sad. I always make a point of saying hello or at least smile and wave when coming across visible minorities fishing. I can tell by the looks on their faces when they see me coming that they are expecting something quite the opposite and that isn't what this country is about.

This has nothing to do with race/colour/creed, so lets not go there. A poacher is a poacher........period.

I don't care if your white, yellow or blue, if your keeping well over your limit within eyesight of me, I'm going to say something, then call the apropriate people. Calling the cops is a tough one when said people are in a boat. I'd offer to take the cops out for a boat ride, but I don't think they'd be allowed to accept it. Most police don't know the regs anyways.......... :wallbash:

My camera and a cell phone are the only weapons I have, and neither of them seem to get anything done.

S.

Yup thats commercial alrite, unless a certain ethnic group is involved in which case its just another normal day. LOL, enuff fish in the freezer for least a week. But yea a couple years back i recall hearing about 2 azn fellas from Scarborough who ended up catching carp and tried to sell em to Soon-Lee on markham and lawrence.

I think it endedup with jail sentence and a hefty fine, not too sure about the details.

Well, I am starting my own program right here. So if you live in the Lindsay area, are willing to give up a couple of hours of your time once a week and would like to do something other that just talk about it. PM me.

Good for you, I would lend a few hours, but I'm not in the area. But on a side note I have heard there is a group that keeps an eye on the Grand River and some of the tribs in the area. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I don't care if your white, yellow or blue---

if he is still white then you havent done your job right.

if he is yellow, keep at him until there is some brown starting to seep out.

if he is blue , then now your doing it right.

just hold him under a bit longer!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :tease: ~~~~~~~~~~

There will be no confrontation, we will simply observe,doccument, and report. We won't stop poaching in this area but we can sure make it more difficult to get away with. Even if we only take one poacher out of the loop it will be worth it.

Your way is probably the only way it will ever work - small groups of responsible adults (adults both chronologically and emotionally) observing and reporting violations. I doubt the gov't is prepared to run the risk of formally authorizing untrained and unequipped volunteers to do the enforcement work. The risks for the gov't and the individuals are too high. But as long as you don't run afoul of any laws yourselves and stay safe then they might just appreciate the effort.

The problem is the hothead vigilante types who can't stop at simple observation and reporting. They decide that when the LEO's don't respond to their satisfaction they should then also administer the judgment and punishment (all for a good cause, mind you) themselves. But then they start liking that part too well. The next thing you know the law enforcement people are having to deal with the folks who set out to back them up.

I can see a small group of folks like you accomplishing something worthwhile and only hope that you don't get caught up in some kind of backlash from the lawbreakers. That's not unheard of and you guys won't have the flakjackets or the laws to use to protect yourselves.

I sincerely hope you can make even a small mark with your efforts and stay safe in the process. It may set an example for the rest of us to start doing a little more, like just getting some pictures of the the miscreants and their vehicles and turning them in. Eventually the word will get around and the poacher types will get a little less cocky and open about their activities when they can never be sure if they're being recorded and reported.

JF

Good for you, I would lend a few hours, but I'm not in the area. But on a side note I have heard there is a group that keeps an eye on the Grand River and some of the tribs in the area. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Try calling grand river trout fitter in fergus, the rod & gun club by caledonia on hwy 54, or even apps mill in burford area.Someone will know, Ive heard of it as well esp in the whitemans creek area and elora area.

Wasn't there a report on here a while back from a fellow that actually had a guy come up to him on a lake and put his hand on his boat and intimidate him regarding his fishing? If I recall he was an OFC member of Asian decent and everyone took up for him on how wrong it was etc, etc.

I mean how far removed is that from what you are talking about Cliff? 'Cause you can't have one (groups of do gooders watching everyone like a hawk)without the other (vigilante know it alls that hold their level of what's right higher than others).

If there is a number call it; If you have influence over those that you inspire and teach, use it. But forming groups to police the waters? Sorry, you've lost me.

Jim

Wasn't there a report on here a while back from a fellow that actually had a guy come up to him on a lake and put his hand on his boat and intimidate him regarding his fishing? If I recall he was an OFC member of Asian decent and everyone took up for him on how wrong it was etc, etc.

I mean how far removed is that from what you are talking about Cliff? 'Cause you can't have one (groups of do gooders watching everyone like a hawk)without the other (vigilante know it alls that hold their level of what's right higher than others).

If there is a number call it; If you have influence over those that you inspire and teach, use it. But forming groups to police the waters? Sorry, you've lost me.

Jim

Man you sure don't know me very well do you? If you did, you wouldn't even suggest that my motives might have anything to do with race. As far as being a vigilanty? If I see you stealing stuff from my back yard or my neighbours place would you expect me to not call the cops? These poachers are stealing plain and simple and I am tired of it. I have no intention of trying to enforce the laws, simply observe, doccument, and report so if you are poaching in my neck of the woods and I see you, expect to get reported.

Good job Cliff :clapping: I'm happy to hear they were nabbed.

The crew I watched a couple days ago were told about the new limit of 30 fish. Thier reply: "mind yo business"

YES IT IS your business! As well as mine and everyone else. Just like the day I gave a dude crap for not washing his hands after coming out from a stall in a public toilet one day. Told me it was none of my business! Told him it is my business because I or someone will have to put their hands on the same grocery cart that he just had his crap covered paws all over after he leaves the store.

YES IT IS your business! As well as mine and everyone else. Just like the day I gave a dude crap for not washing his hands after coming out from a stall in a public toilet one day. Told me it was none of my business! Told him it is my business because I or someone will have to put their hands on the same grocery cart that he just had his crap covered paws all over after he leaves the store.

...maybe he rinsed them off in the toilet bowl? :dunno: