If you could permanently move to one area for the sake of fishing...

Mykester

I would stay exactly where I am.

The beautiful, highly abused Humber River is right behind my place. (Over 700 chemical and oil spills in the last 9 years)

Lake Ontario just a short 15 minute drive away. (Yet I would never eat a fish from it)

For real now...North West Ontario would have to be my choice.

I moved there allready,right in the heart of NWO,little house on a great lake,lots of great fishing in area,less than a hours drive to Lac Seul,1/2 hour to Eagle Lk,a couple boat caches at "secret lakes".

My place from the lake

Picture188.jpg

My summer veiw

Picture167.jpg

The veiw from my bedroom in the winter

Picture223.jpg

I am quite happy here.

I think we have it pretty good here in the Soo, fishing, camping, canoeing, hiking etc. was actually the primary motivating factor as to why we moved here.

The other place I would consider would be Vancouver Island, which is where I used to live, but the real estate there is insane.

i think I would live in Canada for the spring/summer and fall seasonal

( maybe couch surf for a few years at some of the posters from here who live in remote places of our country :whistling:) fishing and then move to the amazon river areas for Peacock bass fishing.

Edited by splashhopper

I'd do a dual thing if money were no object. Spend part of my winter down south. It could be New Zealand, Belize, or the Bahamas. In the summer it could be BC...Terrace, Vancouver island or in Ontario Nipigon region, Wawa area. I've never made it as to the Lake of the Woods but that place don't look all that bad.

I'm all set where I am. I have so much water within a half hour of home, most days, deciding where I want to fish, is the hardest decision of the day.

The ONE thing I REALLY miss is the ocean.

I still call NFLD home.

S.

As you get older the proximity to quality medical care starts to outweigh proximity to quality fishing. But there's lotsa nice fishing close to good medical services in our province so it will work out.

The other problem is that for some of us advancing years and the attendant frailties will preclude our favoured wading. I still really enjoy it but those durned rocks are getting slipperier every summer. I haven't been dunked in a long time but I've done some pretty impressive two steps to keep from a dunking.

I guess the best we can all hope for is to settle in a nice spot with a rocking chair mounted on a nice bassboat and a son or daughter or grandchild to do the messy work. :thumbsup_anim:

But that doesn't mean you youngsters can't have the fun of dreaming big dreams. There was a day I would have said a diveboat in a Caribbean marina would have been the ultimate retirement destination. Before that it would have been a country place with a motocross track and miles of trails to run with the sleds in the winter. Right now it's a cottage and a bassboat close to lots of quality bass fishing with some trout streams nearby where I can work on flyfishing. By the time my son lets me quit the business who knows if my soul and body will be in agreement on what we should do.

JF

1) southwest newfoundland. have been there two times for 3 weeks each trip. fishing for brookies in bronze colored freshwater lakes is awesome. sea run trout in the lakes that fill with high tides and schools large enough to make stream pools black. then you have the cod, mackerel, halbiut, mussels, lobster, snails, turr, caribou, moose, bear...wait a minute, why the hell havent i moved there yet!? :D plus the people there are much nicer than most around here.

2) great slave lake. i love fishing for big pike and im sure i wouldnt mind a huge laker here and there. im one of those guys that likes to "rough it" and would love living like a mountain man living off the land way up there. of course id still need hydro for the flat screen and ps3...lol.

This is something the wife and I have been talking about as we want to move from SW Ontario and head north some where between Alliston over to Peterbrough maybe east of there and anywhere north up to Northbay over to the French river area I know that there is alot of great different fishing in any of the areas it all depends on work for where we will be moving.

For the sake of fishing? Probably somewhere in eastern Ontario. Big muskies of St.Lawrence/Ottawa river, bass of L. St. Francis, huge walleye at Quinte, big speckies across border in Quebec, etc...

Maybe not the outdoor splendor of N. Ontario but plenty of the biggest and most prized of gamefish.

LAKE OF THE WOODS!!!

Wake up in the morning, catch a pair of walleye for brekkie and then spend the rest of the day muskie fishing or smallie fishing or largie fishing or pike fishing or laker fishing or, or, or,.... get the message.

Huge body of water that has incredulous multi species fishing and gorgeous scenery.

I like it right here. Innumerable lakes within minutes, reasonable places to shop for stuff, ten minutes to a decent hospital and 40 minutes would put me on the North Channel of Huron. Been here thirty years already, ten of those in semi-retirement. Lakers, rainbows, specks, splake, smallies, pike and walleye within 20 minutes of my door and almost anything that swims in freshwater within an hour, including muskies, salmon, sturgeon, you name it.

Niagara is pretty darned good if you got a decent 18 - 20 footer sitting on a trailer. Lake Ontario for salmon and trout, Lake Erie for huge smallies, perch and good yellow pickeral, Niagara River produces well for muskies and all winter long for bows and browns, head west and you've got big kitties in the Grand. Yeah lots of people but you can escape the crowds once you get off the launch ramp.

If $ wasn't an issue and polictics aside I'd park myself in BC. BUT - I'd vacation in Alberta, Yukon, Alaska, Northern Ontario, and Quebec with occassional trips into the tropics, arctic and north western US. I'd like to visit Mongolia before I hit the dirt too. Dream on.

Northern Ontario would be the best for me fishing wise, but tought to find the work I do!

I'm gonna choose Toronto Islands - quality pike fishing, and close proximity to jobs and top notch food and drink!

I think the perfect spot for me personally is Coburg/Port Hope area. Lake O, at your door step. Bay of Quinte (one of the best fisheries in Ontario) under an hour, Kawarthas within 30 mins and serious steelhead waters within 1 min.

2nd choice, Picton on Bay of Quinte. Go left, straight, or right you can catch almost anything that swims freshwater.

Edited by Harrison