Ice Out Pike - Any luck yet?

MSBruno

ya still a few weeks off here but by the winter we've been having it'll come early this year. and i wonder if its going to throw things off this year. there isnt gonna be much for flooding due to low snow conditions and the rivers wont be has high. if this weather keeps up the way it is then it'll be a really dry year with fire bans and what not. probably lots of weed growth in shallower lakes. i wonder how fishing will be never seen a year like this one.

I have a boat.. and I fish around Toronto for Pike during the year..

Since the weather has gone above 0, I've had people that I took out last year asking me to take them out again.

Still way too much ice... End of the month some of the bays and harbours might be partially clear of ice, but who knows?

Edited by tdotfisherman

sheesh I haven't started my ice fish season yet...this is when it starts to get good! Nice warm days, easy drilling, hibachi with a t-bone, some brown pops and flags popping up all over the place.

This exactly! lol

Looks like there's open water in the Harbor. Harbour Cam .Probably no open water in the canals in the islands though. Harbor front or Ontario place might be good. A couple years ago around this time there was some crazy guys fishing around ice drifts in a float tube :lol:Float Tube scroll down halfway.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

I was on the water last March and scratched the heck out of my kayak when the wind shifted some ice floes that blocked my exit from one of the channels. I remember catching a few pike and losing feeling in my feet due to the cold. Both my gear and my judgement are better this year so we'll see how the weather looks on the weekend. Still lots of ice in and around the islands.

Here's Kincardine's harbourcam - http://www.pilor.com/ ice should move out any day and the lake is wide open.

Not sure how it relates to TO/Lake O harbours but with these warm temps, I'm thinking next week you should be able to start getting out in some spots.

Good luck and let us know if you get out.

In Hamilton Harbour there's a yacht club that runs a bubbler all winter long to keep a few boats in the water ice free. There's a patch of open water that's maybe 30'x20' you can cast to.

Nothing yet.

I seen that the other day, at the police marine unit building.Beside the yacht club.Years back icaught some monsters out of there.

I have not seen the ice there off Leslie spit, although I suspect there is some, and by the time ice is out there Pike will be out. It only runs from January 1st to March 31st, then isnt opened till May 1st. Sad really, I had my best Pike ever down there, and always in Late March Mid April. The new Regs SUCK.

I have not seen the ice there off Leslie spit, although I suspect there is some, and by the time ice is out there Pike will be out. It only runs from January 1st to March 31st, then isnt opened till May 1st. Sad really, I had my best Pike ever down there, and always in Late March Mid April. The new Regs SUCK.

Yeah, gotta take advantge of the fishing pre-March 31st.

sheesh I haven't started my ice fish season yet...this is when it starts to get good! Nice warm days, easy drilling, hibachi with a t-bone, some brown pops and flags popping up all over the place.

I hear ya....this is when ice fishing shines....walleye, pike, lakers, and specks all come to play hard right now, till ice out in a month and a half, throw in some steel there and you got a great time of year.

What a beautiful morning here in TO...had to hit the water in my yak. Took some fishing gear along too.

Not much access within the islands right now...one channel was blocked by a dock and the other by ice.

Tossed a husky jerk and spoon in a few spots, but no bites and no sightings.

The forecast is for temps to stay above freezing this week so maybe next weekend will be better.

Ice_Kayaking_March_7__2010.jpg