Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

Perhaps a website could be setup damning these resorts and informing our American friends of there tactics.. using well thought out keywords, and naming names including links to the new paper articles..

This affects alot more then locals, and daily tourists..

it is private corporations lobbying, to protect their own interests... not the interest of the lake and its fish populations..

Greed plain and simple.

G

I agree with every word, well said. Its Rice Lake today, Its your favorite lake tomorrow.

I personaly think contacting the MNR will have little effect. They already agree with us, that's why the changes took place. It is the media that one member of the RLTA is using. She has also done a presentation at most municipal and county council meetings in the area concerned. They have listened to her without looking into the facts for themselves. (?) With all of the anglers here, we represent a lot of voters and taxpayers. It is time to remind the councils who they work for.

With the closure of most hunting in the Northumberland forrest and now the council supporting a motion against ice fishing, it is becoming clear that Northumberland county does not want any outdoor fishing or hunting related tourism. Closed for business.

Bill Pyatt,

Chief Administrative Officer

905-372-3329 ext 2235

1-800-354-7050

Hector Macmillian - Trent Hills Mayor

[email protected]

Linda Thompson -Mayor of Port Hope

[email protected]

Mark Loveshin - Hamilton Township Mayor

[email protected]

Marc Coombs - Cramahe Township Mayor

[email protected]

Christine Herrington - Mayor of Brighton

[email protected]

William Finley - Mayor of Alwick/Haldimand

[email protected]

Peter Delanty - Mayor of Cobourg

[email protected]

Also feel free to conatct anyone at the Peterborough county council

http://www.county.peterborough.on.ca/government/index.php?sec=1

Here are a few assorted ones that could use a look:

[email protected]

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/opinion/submitletter

[email protected]

[email protected]

Or any of these listed in this link:

http://www.ricelakecanada.com/members.htm

If you are concerned or offended it is time to spend a few minutes showing support for the outdoor activity that we enjoy.

Edited by Michael Brown

As with any contentious issue concerning our fisheries, in put is needed. If you reside in the Kawarthas, have a cottage there, visit regularly, you need to let these local politicians know how you feel. Council does not mire itself in facts. They listen to voices and the recommendations of staff. If Ms. Irving is doing most of the shouting at council, she will be the one they listen to as she is a resident, taxpayer, member of the business community.

You need to let the area councils know that her interest in keeping U.S. customers happy, is not in the best interests of the local taxpaying users of the fishery. Taxpayers equal votes.

Who says we don't eat pan fish? I guess I am eating garbage when I have a feed of Bluegill, Perch or even Crappie.

She "Thinks too much"

How many times does she say "I think"?

Now this is a great way to make changes to regulations and zones!

Did she get hit in the head with a shovel???

She said, they put a limit on fish which suggests a problem with the population then they open it to year round fishing which doesn't make sense.

Excuse me...I am laughing too hard to finish this..

Let me set the chain of logic here for reasonably intelligent people.

The MNR decides that opening FMZ17 to fishing all year is not a bad idea.

THEN they figure since we are fishing them all year, let's look at which fish need added protection due to added pressure.

They then decide that the other seasons and limits are good enough, except we should protect the sunfish a bit cause people will be after them all year instead of 7 months of the year. The sunfish biomass is figured, a reasonable harvest is determined, creel censuses are referred to for likely catch and retain and the number 300 comes about.

She then says they are a garbage fish...hardly worth the effort. Yet this entire rally has been put into place and a few KB of our database filled with this absolute stupidity.

I wish I lived up there right now...

Ms. Irving...I know you are reading this..or having someone read it to you, but I challenge you to a debate. I do not fall for circular logic and strawman arguments, so you better come up with something better than what you have.

You make no sense. You are trying to protect your OWN A$$ and nothing more.

I trust the MNR biologists much more than you. Your self-serving rhetoric is transparent and sad. I understand you pay some property taxes up there so you have council in your pocket..but council doesn't own the fish or the lake. All residents of Ontario do.

I will be talking to some friends in the MNR to see if they give any of this any merit whatsoever. I think I already know the answer.

i wouldnt hold your breath for a debate with her Rick ...Irving and Fergusons debating abilities combined with their outrageous position are going to be the demise of this whole situation and they will probably find that they are the firmest nails in this issue's coffin to put this dilemma to rest...the only way they could possibly win this is if they are both anti fishing and all of this is smoke to try and get the lake shut down all together from fisherman so they can highball up and down the lake in their noisy fast boats with out having to worry about the fishing pylons situated in their speed zones.

Im surprised they have received this much attention with a lame arguement without the likes of both of them wearing itsy bitsy teeny weeney yellow poka-dotted bikinis

Edited by Twocoda

How many members here are OFAH members as well? If you are a member, send them an email and ask them what they are doing in regards to the RLTA proposals.

YOU TO FUNNY RON. by the time they respond rice lake will be a dried up pond in the year 2550

95% of the fish I eat are panfish, as is the same with most of my friends. We C&R the gamefish for another day.

So, locals do eat panfish. How many things can she say that are incorrect. Politicians love this, because they get to hear themselves talk and it's a chance for them to get their mug on the tv. I wonder how many of them have ever fished on Rice Lake? or even know what a Bluegill looks like? I sure hope the MNR steps in and a puts a stop this quickly by saying that the regulations will not be changed. All they have to do is make a public announcement!

RLTA Members...

Rice Lake, Ontario, Canada - Members

RESORT MEMBERS :

Alpine Resort 905-352-2621

Anglers' Retreat 705-295-6837

Arrowhead Camp

Bewdley Tourist Resort 905-797-3081

Camp Cherokee 705-295-4404

Clearstone Lodge 905-342-9470

Curtis Point Cottages 905-352-2229

Elm Grove Cottages 705-295-6669

Elmhirst's Resort 705-295-4591

Golden Beach Resort 905-342-5366

Hi-Lo Lodge 705-696-2861

Highland View Resort 705-295-6697

Hillside Camp Cottages 905-352-2639

Lang's Resort 905-352-2308

Muskie Bay Resort 905-352-2221

The Reel Retreat 705-696-2995

Ridgeview Cottages 905-352-3734

Sandy Bay Cottages 705-696-2951

Sandy Shore Cottages 905-342-5203

Shady Acres Cottages 705-295-6815

Silverleaf Lodge 705-939-6661

Southview Cottages 705-939-6761

Springbank Cottages 905-352-2107

Suni-Vale Resort 905-352-3788

Sunrise Tourist Trailer Park 905-797-2456

Sunset Cove 905-352-2157

Sunshine Cove 705-295-4224 [email protected]

Tam-Bir Cottages 905-342-5660

Tower Manor Lodge 905-342-2078

Whispering Pines 705-295-6857

Willowood Camp 905-352-2821

...and for your fishing convenience:

Ferguson's Live Bait 905-342-2182

ASSOCIATE MEMBERS :

Allen Insurance Group 705-924-2632

Big Lake Boats 905-373-0525

BJ Marina & Tackle 705-797-2632

Enviropest 705-749-1060

Harris Boat Works 905-342-2153

Lynch, Rutherford & Tozer 905-885-2443

Oakland Greens Golf & Country Club 705-696-2915

Rivet Insurance 705-753-0130

Simmons Canada Inc. 800-268-0112

Sterling Pools Ltd. 705-742-3876

Tourist Resort Services 905-797-2281

Township of Alnwick/Haldimand 905-349-2822

Waldie Farms 905-352-2698

Perhaps we can call Susan, to further explain herself...

G

Edited by Gerritt

I am a American Angler and I will not book a reservation at Rice Lake because the limit is too HIGH...I have concerns that the fish population is/could suffer even with this 300 limit on pan fish....I and my family can only eat so much fish.

I disagree with her point of raising the limits on panfish - keep them where they are at or even lower the bluegill limit. But, I totally agree with her on ice fishing. Totally contradictory, but have made this point before and know most people don't agree with it.

I disagree with her point of raising the limits on panfish - keep them where they are at or even lower the bluegill limit. But, I totally agree with her on ice fishing. Totally contradictory, but have made this point before and know most people don't agree with it.

I don't understand why you would have a point like that Greg. The ice fishing harvest, although I have not seen the numbers yet. I would be surprised there were more than 500 Sunfish in total harvested. 500 Sunfish being the number all anglers in total harvested through the ice on Rice Lake. Personally I did not harvest one Sunfish, however I did harvest 75 Perch in total. 50 of those Perch were used to prove a point. Too bad the RLTA doesn't look at this in a positive way to promote icefishing. The size of Perch we were catching are very comparable to the size we catch on Lake Simcoe. Speaking with the local CO who frequented Rice Lake often, said there were not many people who harvested fish. On a good note, he only laid one charge in relation to keeping fish out of season. Fortunately for the person who got charged, the fish swam away. The OPP laid several charges for drinking but that is still lower than the amount of drinking related charges in the Summer months.

I for one am not targeting Sunfish through the ice, they are not as agressive during the winter months. I did however find an area where they are holding but the size of them are way too small - 15cm (6 inches) was the biggest one I caught. I mostly target Crappies in the winter months and use to travel many kms (miles) to pursue them. Doing over night trips and weekend trips North of Orillia was not uncommon for me last year. Now I can do this in my back yard. Once people find the Crappies on Rice Lake, that will be the main targeted species through the ice.

*Edit*

Furthermore, With all of the Kawartha Lakes being open, the fishing pressure laxed off on other lakes like Scugog. It was also noted that the fishing pressure slowed down on the Haliburtan Lakes for the Lake Trout as well. The anglers did not all just go to Rice Lake to ice fish, they spread out on all of the Kawartha lakes. Rice Lake for an example only received perhaps 250 - 500 anglers at most. There was only 1 area which was concentrated with anglers - Bewdley. (easy access and BJ Tackle had hut rentals). All the other areas that I visited may have had 2 or 3 huts here and there. Gores Landing for an example, had 5 huts at one point. Without giving away the areas I fished, in total I had 8 huts in the same areas I was fishing. The 3 most heavily fished Lakes on the Kawarthas this winter were Chemung, Sturgeon and Big Bald.

The best part of ice fishing was seeing all the kids out there having fun with their friends and families. That to me is much better than having the kids couped up indoors playing Nintendo, watching TV.

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron - ok, I see your point and agree ice fishing is a really fun family activity. I am more worried about the perch population, so as long as you/others/mnr think that it will not get hurt the perch population by ice fishing, then I would agree that ice fishing would be fun.

I don't understand why you would have a point like that Greg. The ice fishing harvest, although I have not seen the numbers yet. I would be surprised there were more than 500 Sunfish in total harvested. 500 Sunfish being the number all anglers in total harvested through the ice on Rice Lake. Personally I did not harvest one Sunfish, however I did harvest 75 Perch in total. 50 of those Perch were used to prove a point. Too bad the RLTA doesn't look at this in a positive way to promote icefishing. The size of Perch we were catching are very comparable to the size we catch on Lake Simcoe. Speaking with the local CO who frequented Rice Lake often, said there were not many people who harvested fish. On a good note, he only laid one charge in relation to keeping fish out of season. Fortunately for the person who got charged, the fish swam away. The OPP laid several charges for drinking but that is still lower than the amount of drinking related charges in the Summer months.

I for one am not targeting Sunfish through the ice, they are not as agressive during the winter months. I did however find an area where they are holding but the size of them are way too small - 15cm (6 inches) was the biggest one I caught. I mostly target Crappies in the winter months and use to travel many kms (miles) to pursue them. Doing over night trips and weekend trips North of Orillia was not uncommon for me last year. Now I can do this in my back yard. Once people find the Crappies on Rice Lake, that will be the main targeted species through the ice.

*Edit*

Furthermore, With all of the Kawartha Lakes being open, the fishing pressure laxed off on other lakes like Scugog. It was also noted that the fishing pressure slowed down on the Haliburtan Lakes for the Lake Trout as well. The anglers did not all just go to Rice Lake to ice fish, they spread out on all of the Kawartha lakes. Rice Lake for an example only received perhaps 250 - 500 anglers at most. There was only 1 area which was concentrated with anglers - Bewdley. (easy access and BJ Tackle had hut rentals). All the other areas that I visited may have had 2 or 3 huts here and there. Gores Landing for an example, had 5 huts at one point. Without giving away the areas I fished, in total I had 8 huts in the same areas I was fishing. The 3 most heavily fished Lakes on the Kawarthas this winter were Chemung, Sturgeon and Big Bald.

The best part of ice fishing was seeing all the kids out there having fun with their friends and families. That to me is much better than having the kids couped up indoors playing Nintendo, watching TV.

Cheers, Ron...

Actually the perch population is fantastic on Rice. We enjoyed many days this winter slamming perch up to 14 inches. Maybe not as many as in the 50's but thet lake now has sunfish, crappies and recently gobies so more competition from other species but they are doing very well.

You should try to get up here next winter and try them. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

Here is a clip from tonight's Peterborough news.

Good job done by Dr. T Quinney of the OFAH, to present a good positive message concerning the benefits of quality fishery management and increased angling oppourtunities for families in this region. :clapping:

http://www.chextv.com/videos/Newswatch_LakeTourism.WMV

If you watch closely you will see footage of the Bridgenorth Panfish festival.

Now if someone could just explain to Peterborough and Northumberland counties that they were presented a bunch of crap facts by one member of the RLTA pushing her own agenda. :wallbash:

Edited by Michael Brown

• 2 weeks later...

County opposes Rice Lake fishing designation

Good to see the OFAH voicing their opinion and see that some townships and Peterborough County agree to the many hours of discussion done by the FMZ 17 Advisory Council.

The Peterborough Examiner

Kudos to the County, OFAH and all others who have spoken against the special designation. I believe it was best summed up by the statement regarding the potential for each Kawartha Lake to seek such designation should RLTA be successful.

At last, some sanity has surfaced to decry the efforts of a few short sighted and self interested alleged spokespersons.

As much as I now hope this issue will be put to bed, I'm unfortunately faced with considering the reality of the "whiners" attempting yet another avenue to pursue their beliefs. I sincerely hope they finally give up the effort to change what has already been decided, and instead channel their energies into educating themselves BEYOND their own interests and into the greater good.

I won't hold my breath, but I will hope!

Michael