Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

You want asinine? I'll give you asinine.

They must be selling the moose meat! Nobody could eat that much. :rofl2:

That doesn't count..makes no sense. Sorry, still your turn Stu.

The limit on moose is 1. The limit on sunfish is 300. Its also the highest limit in North America.

I find it funny that the RLTA would even attempt to get the limits raised. Good luck with that, everyone else involved is just laughing at you all.

S.

Nice try Roy

Your turn now!

Hmmm, ok. I repeat, which of your two accounts do you want me to delete? I prefer speaking to people one on one....one on two is just tacky.

Actually it takes several people to apply for a tag in pool one, sometimes as many as 12 people to guarantee a tag. Majority of the time an individual, though you can apply, will not receive a tag.

Your turn.

Still, I don't understand what this has to do with the Panfish limits......

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

How you can even compare the two, I have no idea.

Moose hunting is one of the most regulated and controlled forms of outdoor activity we have in this province. There are only so many tags available for each designated area. What you are proposing is a continued free-for-all on Kawartha panfish.

If you would truely prefer the moose tag scenario for panfish, perhaps your resort, and all others, including the casual fisherman, should be allotted a quota of panfish for the year. If your guests catch there 2000 fish by July 15, make sure they tag each and every one of them, close up and go to Florida early.

Are they the same 'thousands of anglers' who signed the online petition?

Angler's petition :thumbsup_anim:

Keep in mind that a couple of those names are RLTA members. Speaking of 'the half dozen RLTA members,' their petition is...

RLTA's petition :blahblah1:

Just trying to keep score. :whistling:

I looked at both petitions... and the RLTA's petition is started by none other then.....

"The No Winter Fishing/500 Sunfish Limit on Rice Lake Petition to Ministry of Natural Resources, Ontario was created by and written by Susan Irving ([email protected]). This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors. For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form."

Nice to see the RLTA has only one voice...

G

I just kinda thought that this would be a meaningful discussion about the long term health of Rice lake. But, it has degenerated to name calling. Please ask the rlta to find an eloquent spokes person. This is not working out at all. Your turn. ( you might have to post as Stu this time)

Stu must be frantically researching moose hunting regulations...wondering why he drew such an "asinine" comparison.

Imagine if a group of fishermen arrive at his resort and find out only one of them is actually allowed to harvest any and all fish for the trip.

This thread is starting to go SOUTH, please keep it on track or the only thing we will be able to do is simply VIEW it.

I would only hope the President of the RTLA would respond to get the facts straightened out on this thread.

Cheers, Ron...

Stu, if you want to use Moose as a comparison to Bluegill limits why doesn't FMZ 17 and 18 conform to the rest of Ontario and have a 50 fish limit on Sunfish? I think that would be more valid.

Your analogy makes me see that if I were comparing taking a Moose to catching my limit of Bluegill and if I went hunting Moose in FMZ 17, it would be equivalent to me being allowed 6 times the amount I am anywhere else, which is the case currently for angling opportunities.

Does it seem fair now?

JP

One last thing to think about and compare......

Rice Lake is a SMALL inland lake that the cottage owners don't want to allow ice fishing because of so called safety reasons but they want the limit raised from 300 to 500 fish or unlimited amounts of bluegills.

Lake Erie is a HUGE lake that allows ice fishing and has a 50 fish limit on perch......

Dollars to doughnuts says your IP address would take me right to Alpine Resort...

Good luck with your endeavors, Ice fishing is here to stay, so are the limits of 300 Bluegill and Pumpkinseed. You did know that Bluegill and Sunfish are one in the same don't you? By the way you have articles written up in the News Paper, you mention that your clients throw back all the Sunfish and only keep Bluegill smaller than the size of your hand. Good thing all your clients have BIG HANDS!

Geesh, we finally get 1 person who thinks too much to stop and now we get the next one....

Sincerly,

Ron Reyns

(Ron Reyns Maintenance)

905 372-0512

I have not posted before as I have no desire to get into pointless arguements but this one is just funny. How can an "all knowing angler" not know the difference between bluegill and sunfish? They are very similar but since you have quite a few opinions on the subject you really should understand the facts.

"Differences between bluegill and redear arise when comparing the habitat

and feeding requirements of the two. First of all, Redear sunfish are very

structure oriented, unlike their Bluegill counterparts who will frequent open

waters. Like bluegill, redear sunfish consume small aquatic insects. However,

snails and other mollusks comprise a large portion of the Redear’s diet. Although

both species will inhabit sand and gravel beach areas during their

spawning season, Redear sunfish usually reproduce only once per season,

reducing the time they will be in the beach area"

The rest of this article can be found at http://www.ibnature.com/Redear,Bluegill%20Sunfish.pdf. There are a couple of pictures to make it easier for you to understand. Americans prefer bluegill (the invasive species) as it has more meat and is less bony than the indigenous sunfish.

Go ahead and check my ip address. I am Jodi from Alpine Resort. If you'd like to see the difference come on over any time in June and some of our REAL fishermen will show you the difference and might even give you some tips on cleaning fish so there is no waste.

I think Ron was making the point that bluegill are sunfish, just like pumpkinseed and redear.

The regs don't differentiate, the 300 limit is for all sunfish combined.

Go ahead and check my ip address. I am Jodi from Alpine Resort. If you'd like to see the difference come on over any time in June and some of our REAL fishermen will show you the difference and might even give you some tips on cleaning fish so there is no waste.

I thought no one was coming this year...

But if they do, I'm glad that they clean fish so efficiently, at least they will get the most out of their 300 limit.

Edited by Jer

Wow Rice Lake resident, instead of coping and pasting maybe you should know the phenomenology first. Sunfish are a family name and in this name ,there are a few sub species, which include largemouth bass pumpkin seed and blue gill and many more so before you go pasting other information. Make sure you get it all right. If you were to have said that there is a different between bluegills and redears or bluegills and pumpkinseeds that would be correct. But a deferment between sunfish and bluegill is completely wrong. Just like your statement about come over and see some REAL fishermen in the summer Your statement should have been come over and PAY ME MONEY AND I WILL INCLUDE YOU IN THE "FAMILY" OF REAL FISHERMEN

The petition posted by the RLTA does not allow you to view the signatures or the comments posted. Could one of you please change that so we may have a honest comparison of the two.

I would like to point out to everyone that Mike Ferguson(aka Mayor of Rice) has signed the anglers petition.

Ron you should be ashamed, for not stating the difference between bluegill/pumkinseed and the less common redear sunfish. :blink:

Also the moose/sunfish thing is completely stupid. Should we allow anglers to harvest a thousand pounds of Rice Lake walleye?

Unless you find a 1000 pound sunfish, then it should be larger than your hand so you can voluntarily release it. Maybe we could open the sunfish season on Rice for only a couple of weeks in the fall. That might work, I know it would be great help for a stressed fishery.

Go ahead cottage owners, (I don't believe you people actually speak for the majority of the RLTA) keep annoying, fighting with and giving all your customers(anglers and friends)a reason to not attend your place of business. If only you had embraced the new opportunities presented to you and spent your time and energy realizing the new potential of an extended business season and healthy fishery resource.

My relatives have rented most of cottage resort for a family/fishing reunion this summer. Spending thousands of dollars locally, :o to enjoy a weekend together having fun and fishing with each other and the kids. I'm fairly sure we are not the only family that does this.

Michael Brown

Edited by Michael Brown

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Americans prefer bluegill (the invasive species) as it has more meat and is less bony than the indigenous sunfish.

Red ear sunfish (Lepomis microlophus) are indigenous to the southern united states. Why are they your basis for comparison with "indigenous" species?

Species of the genus "Lepomis" that are native to Canada are Lepomis macrochirus (bluegill), Lepomis gibbosus (pumpkinseed), Lepomis megalotis (longear sunfish), Lepomis cyanellus (green sunfish), and Lepomis auritus (redbreast sunfish) which is only native to Newfoundland.

Perhaps before spreading misinformation to the public you should ensure your audience don't know more about fisheries than you do.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I think Ron was making the point that bluegill are sunfish, just like pumpkinseed and redear.

The regs don't differentiate, the 300 limit is for all sunfish combined.

The regs don't differentiate but the MNR's study DOES. They are a different fish and if you can't tell the difference I invite you to come on down and one of our US anglers will point out the differences to you. Pumpkinseed, redear and sunfish are different names for the same fish. The study states that bluegill numbers have stabilized. This is despite agressive fishing for 30+ years so with the decreasing numbers of US visitors decreasing over the last few years that should be more than enough for these numbers to INCREASE which may not be good. Our concern is what will happen to other fisheries if they are allowed to flourish practically unhindered.

I never said NO one is coming but we have had several cancellations. That in itself would not bother us if these limits were biologically warranted as we DO care about the future of the Rice Lake fishery. Please try to be open minded and try to see that there may be a different perspective than the one you see. Our guests have been throwing large males back. With these new regs they will keep them as they're limited to numbers. You can't blame them. If they can only keep 300 fish after a 2 week vacation they might as well make it worthwhile.

Most resort owners are fishing licence issuers and take this responsiblity seriously. We have often educated our guests on the dangers of "accidently" catching bass when not yet in season, even if they throw them back, yet we've seen plenty of "locals" obviously fishing for bass out of season. We've worked with the MNR to try to increase the size of bluegill. We ask our guests to voluntarily through large pickerel back as they are the breeders. We are not objecting to any of the regs other than the bluegill. We care about the lake.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Pumpkinseed, redear and sunfish are different names for the same fish.

Check your facts. I posted the scientific names for the species above. You can call them all the same thing if you want, but they are unique species. Perhaps your American customers aren't as good at fish ID as you would think. I would be glad to come down there and put my years of fish ID experience to work to educate you and your customers.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus