Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2505648postbox

Somebody please explain to this person that she is not representing anyone but herself!

Sounds like we need to contact the county to explain ourselves.

Anyone know how to make an online petition that we could forward to these local municipalities?

Mike

i think there is enough information in this thread to justify posting a link to this thread in the comments section of newspaper....then the interested parties could see whats what and whos priorities lay where

You all realize that 300 sunfish per angler is HIGH but what most are not considering is that most family outing have more than 1 member from their family fishing with them.....so if it's a husband and wife that limit has now been double to 600 for that household.....WAY TOO MUCH IMHO.In NYS we have a 50 limit on perch and sunfish and 25 on crappies that have to be at least 9" in length.

Bob

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2505648postbox

Somebody please explain to this person that she is not representing anyone but herself!

Sounds like we need to contact the county to explain ourselves.

Anyone know how to make an online petition that we could forward to these local municipalities?

Mike

Mike you've got a rebuttle from the author...

Should be interesting.

I was completely unaware the Susan Irving - Cogar was a biologist/fisheries manager, this puts a whole new spin on things, lets concede scientific rigor by the FMZ and MNR et al. and go with her science and precautionary method. Insert peer reviewed publications here______________

Honestly, if it is not clear to the public and city council, someone using "buzz words" like precautionary approach can attract alot of attention and following, without proper information from cooler heads this could be a tricky situation.

Edited by troutologist

We have got to stop this nonsense!

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news/northumberlandcountynews/article/150667

I can't believe the County of Northumberland can make a decision without consulting no one other than the Rice Lake Tourist Ass. If they want to designate Rice Lake to have separate regulations, fine. I guess they are saying "ta Hell with the Associations in the Kawartha Lakes" So what happens to Bridgenorth tourists who find out that there is a limit on all Lakes except Rice Lake? Where do you think these tourists will book then?

Ok, lets say they go ahead with the 500 limit. I guess with Rice Lake being so fertile, perhaps they should make an exception to the walleye as well. Lets take the limit back to 6 with no size limit. Now lets not forget to decrease the size limit for Muskie back to 36 inches too. Hey, this lake is so fertile, lets have year round fishing for all species! Even better, lets allow netting too!

Now back to reality...

A limit of 300 pan fish, check the rest of the Province, check the rest of North America. Where is the limit any higher than 300? Yes Ice fishing is open now. Did you see anyone who harvested 300 pan fish? Yes I harvested 50 Perch in one day, far from being ethical in my opinion (yes I admit, MY OPINION). Why did I harvest that many? To prove a point. Did they go to waste? Well if you consider pan frying them in butter and feed a family of 6 (my wife, 2 daughters and their boyfriends plus myself) for 4 meals. Easy to clean by the way, I think I am going to do this from now on.

This one cracks me up too!

http://www.northumberlandnews.com/article/150845

We have got to stop this nonsense!

This one cracks me up too!

http://www.northumbe.../article/150845

Rice Lake businesses put lake, health before self

my god that is a line of crap

first:

Member Susan Irving-Cogar said having a winter season on Rice Lake creates unnecessary dangers to anglers and emergency staff, who will have to be well-prepared for potential rescue efforts on Rice Lake's ice when winter fishermen inevitably experience life and death situations that stem from being on unstable ice.

so how many had to be rescued...did snowmobilers not ride on the lake before this year, did people not walk, ski or skate on the lake before this

A winter fishing season also depletes the number of fish in the lake, she said, which will affect the already-established summer tourist season and be harmful to the health and vitality of the lake in the future.

There is also a lowering of the number of panfish anglers can catch, which the association hopes to prevent, before American tourists - the bread and butter of Rice Lake resort owners - find somewhere else to catch their panfish.

that is totally in their self interest but they claim to to protect the lake

they are making things up to support their side

people I think we need to start write to the MNR to tell them we disagree with these people and we support the recent changes in the z17 regs

I find it all VERY odd!..

They claim that they dont want ice fishing due to increased loss of life... due to increased risk to life emergency personal... Due to dangerous ice

But they want to increase the limit to 500 to attract American Anglers...

If the ice is so dangerous due to "currents"

Why do they want to increase the limit to lure Americans to fish it....????

Is this some cleaver scheme to "off" Americans?

It makes no sense to me!

I also understand that Susan Irving-Cogar does not have winterized cottages.... So how is luring Americans to her resort... only to let them freeze to due death beneficial to her?

Something is defiantly wrong here!

G.

my god that is a line of crap

first:

so how many had to be rescued...did snowmobilers not ride on the lake before this year, did people not walk, ski or skate on the lake before this

Nobody ever, ever ventured on Rice Lake ice before this year, ever...how could you?,,,it's so unsafe...

I also understand that Susan Irving-Cogar does not have winterized cottages....

G.

Well no wonder no one should be allowed to ice fish Rice Lake...Susan has no winterized cottages...

I live in the area around rice lake. I fish the lake almost weekly. I hear about this everywhere I go, and everyone I've talked to about it has told me what a joke the whole thing is. If the RLTA thinks they are going to get the regs changed, they for sure have thier heads buried in the sand.

The lake hardly got touched at all by winter anglers this year. There were a few guys out of easy access areas, but at least 90% of the lake was untouched.

I'd be willing to bet there were no fisherman that went thru the ice. Snowmobilers maybe, but fisherman? I have my doubts.

I also bet that a lodge booked with americans fishing panfish for the week, would harvest more fish in that week, than were harvested all winter out of the lake.

The RLTA argument is so weak, I'd be embarrassed to even tell the MNR about it.

Do the members of the RLTA realize the damage thier doing with this whole thing?? I wonder just how many people looked for a new area to fish after reading this? I wouldn't even recommend rice lake as a place to go, after this.

I'll keep fishing it every week.

S.

Perhaps a website could be setup damning these resorts and informing our American friends of there tactics.. using well thought out keywords, and naming names including links to the new paper articles..

This affects alot more then locals, and daily tourists..

it is private corporations lobbying, to protect their own interests... not the interest of the lake and its fish populations..

Greed plain and simple.

G

Perhaps a website could be setup damning these resorts and informing our American friends of there tactics.. using well thought out keywords, and naming names including links to the new paper articles..

This affects alot more then locals, and daily tourists..

it is private corporations lobbying, to protect their own interests... not the interest of the lake and its fish populations..

Greed plain and simple.

G

Ummm...

Maybe we could call it OFC? :whistling:

Actually Gerritt, it's not a bad idea but I'm thinking there's a lot of American members here who are spreading the word. What I'd like to really see is a TV News report about this entire thread, the players and what they've said on here!

Michael

I should add... the RLTA is promoting Ice Fishing on Rice lake via their website...

It Says new for 2010, Ice Fishing on Rice Lake!

http://www.ricelakecanada.com/fishing.htm

Seems Very contradictory to me.. to Promote it... then bash it in the media?

perhaps they have a rogue on their hands?

G

well that's the problem

these people are speaking for the RLTA

but do they have the authority to do so, or are they just giving their opinions and claiming to speak for the RLTA

or door number 3 : is the RLTA so screwed up that don't have any idea what they are talking about

I should add... the RLTA is promoting Ice Fishing on Rice lake via their website...

It Says new for 2010, Ice Fishing on Rice Lake!

http://www.ricelakecanada.com/fishing.htm

Seems Very contradictory to me.. to Promote it... then bash it in the media?

perhaps they have a rogue on their hands?

G

...and her name is....

The reason I suggest it, is that if one of our American friends googles "Rice Lake" they will see what is happening....

G

I just tried googling "Rice Lake Panfish" based on your idea Gerritt! Wow! About every 3rd result was either the newspaper articles, OFC Thread, other board threads - try it!

Michael

And now it starts.....

I can see this mushrooming to the other Kawartha Lakes and having them all designated "SDW"

How many fish can a person eat? Is 300 not enough? Why do I, have to travel to Simcoe or Scugog to fish thru the winter when I have a lake at my back door? Why should the Kawarthas be any different as far as seasons than the rest of Ontario? Why should one group of people who are upset with the changes to their lake have so much say in what others have worked so hard for over 3 years? Everyone involved with this decision supported it origionaly (including the RLTA)

The fire department in the area has already purchased a rescue vehicle of some sort, this would have been in last years budget, before the change in regulations. If the rules get changed why do they need it? It will probably get used by the RLTA to haul new docks and gazebos over the ice.

I will be speaking to my council again and my MP and the OMNR to make my views known.

Tom.

I just tried googling "Rice Lake Panfish" based on your idea Gerritt! Wow! About every 3rd result was either the newspaper articles, OFC Thread, other board threads - try it!

Michael

I just typed in Rice Lake into google... and OFC was not on the first page or the second or third....

G

I wonder what the tourism will be like when theres no fish left in the lake? Personally i d rather go to a place that i can keep only 30 sunfish a day (more than enough i ve never kept more than 10) than somewhere u can keep as many as u want but theres none to catch due to over fishing. i beleive the americans might feel this way as well