Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

Greg I think you have missed the fact that ice fishing and it's impact on the fishery were taken into account when the studies were done that were used to set new limits,the limits used to be higher on sunfish without the 7" restriction.The MNR has set limits they feel will protect the fishery and allow for ice fishing at the same time,very progressive thinking on their part,it's good to see they are following the US's lead in setting limits based on the ecosystem in question VS the old province wide blanket regs.

Yes, I do. I love ice fishing, but my point is why are we are setting limits on panfish - this means the population on Rice Lake is hurting. Again, I am for the limits, but then we open up ice fishing, which will allow more fish to be taken out of the lake. If Rice Lake is under so much pressure, then why open up ice fishing, until we monitor what effect the limits have on the fish population. Then maybe open up the lake for ice fishing. What is the rush? Not sure, why is this point so hard to understand?

I was ice fishing on the Canadian side of Lake St Clair a couple weeks ago and talking to a local resident that was saying how he already has 20 pounds of perch in the freezer and was back out for more. Another one I talked to got his limit in the morning and then came back out in the afternoon and got his limit again. So, why have limits if they are going to be exploited? Does "possession" mean that you can only keep 50 perch at one time in your freezer, because if so it is being broken a lot and if it does not mean then that it should and somehow being enforced, just like it is if any American would bring fish back home.

This thread has made me so angry now and I am losing the respect of a lot of anglers, who have posted here and that I have respected in the past. I love going to Rice Lake not just for the fishing, but because I love Canada and Canadians and love the beautiful scenery that it offers.

Greg,

Do you have the opportunity to ice-fish back home in Ohio?

If so, why do you begrudge us the same opportunity?

I've lived on the shore of Upper Buckhorn for almost 14 years now, and until this year, was never allowed to drill a hole. Very frustrating at the least to have to travel at least an hour and a half in any direction to be able to fish in the winter when I have countless acres of safe ice right outside my door.

I've fished every available day this winter and just love it. In fact I'll be heading out very shortly on Chemong for what could be a T-shirt day on the ice, what could be better? Who are you to deny me this?

Even though I've fished probably 20 full days on the ice between Buckhorn & Chemong, I've only brought home a reasonable meal of perch and sunfish (about a dozen fish, Nanna's math is right) for my girlfriend and I 3 times in total. I could have filled buckets, but like the majority of fishermen, I try to be responsible and enjoy the opportunity with out abusing the resource.

Edited by GregF2

Yes, I do. I love ice fishing, but my point is why are we are setting limits on panfish - this means the population on Rice Lake is hurting. Again, I am for the limits, but then we open up ice fishing, which will allow more fish to be taken out of the lake. If Rice Lake is under so much pressure, then why open up ice fishing, until we monitor what effect the limits have on the fish population. Then maybe open up the lake for ice fishing. What is the rush? Not sure, why is this point so hard to understand?

I was ice fishing on the Canadian side of Lake St Clair a couple weeks ago and talking to a local resident that was saying how he already has 20 pounds of perch in the freezer and was back out for more. Another one I talked to got his limit in the morning and then came back out in the afternoon and got his limit again. So, why have limits if they are going to be exploited? Does "possession" mean that you can only keep 50 perch at one time in your freezer, because if so it is being broken a lot and if it does not mean then that it should and somehow being enforced, just like it is if any American would bring fish back home.

This thread has made me so angry now and I am losing the respect of a lot of anglers, who have posted here and that I have respected in the past. I love going to Rice Lake not just for the fishing, but because I love Canada and Canadians and love the beautiful scenery that it offers.

You have it a bit backwards, the limits came BECAUSE of the ice fishing. There was no sunfish limits prior to that.

It was because of the increase in harvest pressure that the limit was imposed. Without ice fishing there would be no limit, so you couldn't really study the effect.

I am sure the MNR will be closely monitoring the lakes over the next few years and making adjustments as needed based on the new harvest pressures.

Yes, locals are and always have been the biggest resource violators around. We only hope they get caught...

Feel free to call the MNR tips line at

1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

Yes, I do. I love ice fishing, but my point is why are we are setting limits on panfish - this means the population on Rice Lake is hurting. Again, I am for the limits,

the MNR has imposed a limit ....whats the problem then?

but then we open up ice fishing, which will allow more fish to be taken out of the lake.

Canadians like to ice fish too why should they have to drive hundreds of miles to enjoy a resource that is readily available in their own backyard?

If Rice Lake is under so much pressure, then why open up ice fishing, until we monitor what effect the limits have on the fish population. Then maybe open up the lake for ice fishing. What is the rush? Not sure, why is this point so hard to understand?

As i understand it ...there is change in the size of the fish to suggest due dilligence to protect the resource

I was ice fishing on the Canadian side of Lake St Clair a couple weeks ago and talking to a local resident that was saying how he already has 20 pounds of perch in the freezer and was back out for more. Another one I talked to got his limit in the morning and then came back out in the afternoon and got his limit again. So, why have limits if they are going to be exploited?

Did you report to the authorities???? If you did ....good on ya ...if you didnt ....then you really have no right to suggest that whats good for them is also good for you especially if its an illegal event ( just my opinion)

Does "possession" mean that you can only keep 50 perch at one time in your freezer, because if so it is being broken a lot and if it does not mean then that it should and somehow being enforced, just like it is if any American would bring fish back home.

Possession means ....in your pail /freezer/pocket and attached to a stringer or fishing line

This thread has made me so angry now and I am losing the respect of a lot of anglers, who have posted here and that I have respected in the past.

No Comment

I love going to Rice Lake not just for the fishing, but because I love Canada and Canadians and love the beautiful scenery that it offers.

im sure the feeling is mutual ....there is no limit on the scenery or friendship

When i go to California i abide by the rules imposed by your officials....so really ...im finding it hard to understand where you are comming from :dunno:

Edited by Twocoda

The fact we enjoy ice-fishing in our own backyard makes you angry? I don't get it, you need to relax and go fishing. I did today, and it was great. We had a beautiful day out on the ice, with virtually no expense. My buddy took home about a dozen nice perch, I hope you don't mind there might be a few less when you come up for your annual trip.

Remember we live here all year long. I find it mildly offensive that you would have such a strong opinion on what I might do with my free time, fully within the law of the land.

Officials finally came to their senses and opened up a huge part of the province to a winter fishery, it's about time! I think nobody could remember anymore why it wasn't allowed in some form or another in the first place.

I've done my part for the local economy as well, having to outfit myself with all the necessary gear to fish regularly on th ice. I've probably spent in excess of $1000 on stuff since Christmas I probably never wouyld have bought otherwise, and guess what? I don't begrudge a penny of it. The winters are long and this has been one of the most enjoyable of my life.

I would say I'm sorry for making you angry, but I'm having too much damn fun!

The fact we enjoy ice-fishing in our own backyard makes you angry? I don't get it, you need to relax and go fishing. I did today, and it was great. We had a beautiful day out on the ice, with virtually no expense. My buddy took home about a dozen nice perch, I hope you don't mind there might be a few less when you come up for your annual trip.

Remember we live here all year long. I find it mildly offensive that you would have such a strong opinion on what I might do with my free time, fully within the law of the land.

Officials finally came to their senses and opened up a huge part of the province to a winter fishery, it's about time! I think nobody could remember anymore why it wasn't allowed in some form or another in the first place.

I've done my part for the local economy as well, having to outfit myself with all the necessary gear to fish regularly on th ice. I've probably spent in excess of $1000 on stuff since Christmas I probably never wouyld have bought otherwise, and guess what? I don't begrudge a penny of it. The winters are long and this has been one of the most enjoyable of my life.

LOL! this thread is fairly enjoyable to me....

You find it mildly offensive that I want to help protect the fishery for future generations??? And by the way our trips are more than annual and I feel as much as a resident as anyone, since we have gone to Rice Lake multiple times a year over the past 42 years and know Rice Lake as well as anyone on this forum.

I am done with this thread - no one is going to win and we all have our own views.

Edited by GregF2

You find it mildly offensive that I want to help protect the fishery for future generations??? And by the way our trips are more than annual and I feel as much as a resident as anyone, since we have gone to Rice Lake multiple times a year over the past 42 years and know Rice Lake as well as anyone on this forum.

I am done with this thread - no one is going to win and we all have our own views.

...and I'm hoping that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy a winter fishery in the Kawarthas. Judging by the numbers of children I've seen out with their parents on the ice enjoying the experience so far, I'm sure they will.

I'm glad you visit often and enjoy the area, isn't it great people can now enjoy all year long? Why not plan a winter trip and see what I mean first hand. You can hardly consider yourself a resident if you've only been in the warm summer months.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

thanks for not locking this thread.

i don't find a disagreement worthy of locking a thread. minus the off colour accussations by the mayor, all this thread offers is an opportunity for lively debate...

my opinion is in line with the anglers of this board. the RTLA and/or the Mayor is clearly representing such a miniscule portion of the population and their greed shows.

copy and paste from the article in the paper

"Further data shows that only 5% to 8% of visiting non-residents harvest more than 300 fish (some reports like those from Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) border crossing checks show boats leaving the province with staggering counts of Rice Lake sunfish numbering in the thousands). "

i wonder how many of the 5-8 % own fish markets or restaurants? :dunno:

Ice fishermen (I love ice fishing, but not on Rice) take more panfish, more easily than summer fishermen. So, this will put more pressure on the Rice Lake panfish population.

So, if we are all pure sportsman that practice conservation and want to preserve and make the Rice Lake fishery better for all, then we should keep the limit restrictions, but eliminate ice fishing. Pure, common sense.

I beg to differ...we catch more sunfish/bluegills in the open water seasons than we do in the winter...in over sixty some odd years of icefishing I could probably count on both hands the number of sunfish/bluegills I have caught through the ice...lots of perch, some crappie but very few sunnies...

What I don't get with all this hullabaloo about Rice Lake and icefishing is...what about all the other lakes in the Kawartha chain and the rest of the lakes in zone 17 or 18 for that matter???...I read a lot of forums but don't hear of any other Tourist Association bellyaching about the new regulations...

Have any Rice Lake ice fishermen out there caught their daily limits this season ???...I highly doubt it if it is anything like my home lake (Pigeon)

I don't think there is anything to worry about depleting the resources...many more will find their way into Rice lake from below Hastings or from the lakes above Peterboro to replace those caught...same way the crappie/bluegills got here 20 years ago...

Edited by Beans

I'm with you, Beans.

My buddy and I have spent countless hours on the ice this season. We've caught lots of perch of all sizes, only three crappie, a handful of bass, one musky to the hole, one pickeral, the odd rockbass and maybe a dozen sunfish.

Certainly haven't seen the sunfish leaving the lake by the cooler-load.

I've been away for a while, but just spent the last hour reading this whole disscussion...

I love to fish, I get out maybe 10-20 times a year, I don't care if I catch anything or not... I do it.. Cause I love it, and it calms me from the stresses of life

and running a business full time. Im 29 years old, and have been fishing for as long as I can remember.. For years I used to fish in Lakeport from shore in the spring

and fall.. then fished Colborne Creek all summer for Specks and Bow PanFriers.. Now.. they are non existant.. Not because of over fishing.. but due to lack of

concentration by the ministry to try and help fix the creek.. Then for years I biked down to Murray Canal in the summer to fish the bass and pan fish.. Its always been

decent fishing down there.. But now being able to drive for the last 12 years I have been going to Rice lake.. Not only is it great fishing.. but also great views and

the ammenites near by..

People that say the locals don't help bring the money to the local resorts and such.. Need to think again.. How do they think the word gets out about the amazing fishing

and Resorts, and businesses ON the lake... Word of mouth from the people that LIVE on that lake year round.. they live there for a reason...

I know people that live at all ends of the lake and in between.. Any that live on the water and own a boat.. They would rather take the boat to Bewdley, Gores Landing, Harwood for Food or Pizza, or Groceries.. rather then drive the car into Peterborough or Cobourg/Port Hope... And why deal with gas can and have them smelling up the car or truck, when they can take the boat or Jetski or what ever they have, and go to one of the local Marinas or Resorts and just Fuel up there... The locals support more of the local community then is realized.. And yes I have been to a few of the resorts and used their ammenites.. Even rented boats from them in the summer cause I don't own a boat of my own..

And if the service is good and products are good.. I refer them to friends and such..

Personally I don't see the reason for having a high limit eaither way.. I don't belive any limit for even pan fish shouldn't be over 25 per person.. per day..

If people want more then that.. then maybe the MNR should look at having a "Commercial" type of licence that allow the higher limits.. But have those

licences cost much more and are species specific.... like $175 a year or something.. Then that extra money can be used to put back into the fisheries.

Eaither way I see it.. the more pan fish.. means more food for the bigger fish.. and people wonder why the bigger fish numbers are dwindling on Walleye and Musky and such..

More food that the larger fish have.. the more they reproduce.. the more those parts of the fisheries rebound..

Personally I have always thought that the fisheries should have like a rotating season for different fish.. Or even rotating limits.. from season to season..

Anyways.. just wanted to give my two cents, some worth wile reading.. some useless.. eaither way.. I love Rice Lake and everything it has to offer.. From the Fishing to

the local Ammenities..

You hit the nail right on the head beans. There is no eveidence what so ever that a hardwater season will hurt the bluegill, or any other species for that matter, hard. The RLTA, is simply using that as an angle/leverage to argue for no limit and only open during the summer. Its a smart tactic, and just about all they have anyway. but they have no hard evedince/stats/science to back it up. Now if they are right, then in a couple of years they will get their way and they can smile and say I told you so and we will all have to take it in stride. But zone 17 waited 80 years for an ice season, so now its our turn to smile.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

Wow, arguing that it takes alot to make a meal, then saying 500 bluegill fillets weighs 30lbs? Start doing some quick math if there is a family all taking limits....

Lets briefly consider the average portion of fish in a restaurant at 8-12oz....thats only 40-60 servings (for 30lbs of fillets). Is this enough?

Though if it is within the limits, harvest is at the perogative of the angler. I guess this amount of fish just never hit home with me.

Maybe its me, but i wouldn't drive 3 mins away to catch a sunfish. And some people come in from the US to do it?

Yikes.

Let alone cleaning them???

You might get 2-3 ounces of meat off an eight inch sunfish. It would take a lot of time to clean a hundred or so. :P

It really doesn't take that much time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Think big drum style power scalers and electric knives. I've seen it first hand. Add in some beers and mke a race out of it and you will be having yourself a time. I've seen this fiirst hand happening on rice lake.

I would put money on it that I could fillet 100 panfish in an hour with a regualr fillet knife.

It really doesn't take that much time. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Think big drum style power scalers and electric knives. I've seen it first hand. Add in some beers and mke a race out of it and you will be having yourself a time. I've seen this fiirst hand happening on rice lake.

I would put money on it that I could fillet 100 panfish in an hour with a regualr fillet knife.

I take about an hour and 2-3 brown pops to do 50 large sunfish.