Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

I haven't cleaned a lot of bluegills but when we had no limit on our crappies and Chautauqua Lake was in it's prime I could fillet 70 per hour with just a 4" fillet knife. But I believe they are the easiest fish to fillet....now perch are real hard on a fillet knife as their skin and scales are tough and dull my knife quite fast so that slows down the process.......here what my knife looked like when the crappie fishing wasn't crappy.

Filletknifes004.jpg

Edited by Billy Bob

It's strange, seems as though Rice Lake Tourists Ass. say one thing ans then get quoted saying another. I don't understand...

First they say to us that "no we don't want to close the winter ice fishing season" but then in every article you read in the news papers it says "Ice fishing should NOT be allowed on Rice Lake".

I just don't get it.

Here is the most recent article in the local paper.

Northumberland Today News paper

Take a good look at the photo the submitted. They claim that is 90 Bluegill, perhaps they should read the regs and ensure that the packaging of fish is identifiable. Don't look like you can count that amount and doesn't appear to be able to identify them either!

I can't debate this topic alone anglers, Squaking on this forum alone is not going to keep the changes we have all fought for. If you want to see our privledges get revoked, say nothing, nothing at all. If you want to ensure we keep the additional angling oportunities, contact the MNR, your local MP and the municipality you live in.

Remember, this could happen in your back yard too.

Cheers, Ron...

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

Thought I would share this response because I was emailing with someone from the RLTA a week or so ago in regards to the article that had the picture with the bucket full of fish and the empty buckets on the snow bank.

Here is part of their reply:

"The newspaper article with the guys with the buckets .. those perch were in no way Rice Lake perch .. they were Simcoe perch and I lived on Simcoe for over 10 yrs and know the difference .. and, they were frozen and stiff so they didn't slide and slither into the bucket as they should. It was an exaggeration, no doubt."

Dirk

When someone or a organization says "we shouldn't allow ice fishing because it will endanger the fish population but then goes on and says we should lift the limits of these same fish that they are worried about during the ice fishing season"....well that's just a self serving way for their own personal monetary gains and I am SURE the Ontario Fish and Game Department sees right through that Bull....

I don't think you have anything to worry about....the ice fishing season is NOT going away and the limit will stay where it is at (300) which is a RIDICULOUS HIGH amount.

Thought I would share this response because I was emailing with someone from the RLTA a week or so ago in regards to the article that had the picture with the bucket full of fish and the empty buckets on the snow bank.

"The newspaper article with the guys with the buckets .. those perch were in no way Rice Lake perch .. they were Simcoe perch and I lived on Simcoe for over 10 yrs and know the difference .. and, they were frozen and stiff so they didn't slide and slither into the bucket as they should. It was an exaggeration, no doubt."

Dirk

I see no point to their reply you got

if I stay on the ice too long my fish are frozen, which I leave on the ice till I put them in a bucket or bag for the ride home..so means nothing

and from the article I read in the newspaper the bucket of perch and the 8 other empty buckets were to show just how much a full limit of fish would look like..so who cares where there were caught or if they were plastic fish or kept in a freezer till the meeting..clearly it's the RLTA has no real way to fight the truth so they are trying to deflect the focus to meaningless stuff......

I see no point to their reply you got

..so who cares where there were caught or if they were plastic fish or kept in a freezer till the meeting..

Perhaps they were admitting that Simcoe perch are much bigger than rice perch? It would appear to be consistent with the rest of their approach to business promotion - tell the potential guests you can offer much smaller fish. Yup, that's what I look for in a fishing holiday. :lol:

JF

Dirk

They lived on Simcoe for over ten years and can tell that frozen perch in a bucket came from there just by looking at them :dunno: That is the absolute biggest line of crap I think I have ever heard. I've fished perch pretty much everywhere in this province. And they all look the same. There is no difference whatsover in a Simcoe or Kawartha perch.

If I knew who spouted that line of crap I'd absolutely never EVER believe another word that ever came out of there mouth from that point on.

Seems to me that I only count 6 baggies there (maybe 8 not sure) so on average those bags have 15 fish each in them???...looks like the RLTA are throwing out the hail marry play...self serving group...I think so...stop an opportunity to rent out there cottages year round which in Ontario is a significant number of months..well not lately I guess, in order to save a depleting bluegill population, but put no limit on the fishery .... hmmmmmmm...maybe the Yanks don't dig the snow...but hey forget all about the 11,410,046 Ontario residence that just may want to drop a line in OUR "backyard"

Am I confused or is this a no brainer??????????

I think this is who said it first and he is a proven liar and full of crap

ReplyI also heard the comment made at yesterdays meeting and I believe it was right on the money The avid fisherman are in my eyes some of the most crooked people in the mix here your group yesterday consisted of at least one poacher one crook your perch was caught in lake simcoe very legal no problem till one of yous tried to enter one of the fish in a small Rice lake derby. This person was under suspicion right from the start he lost any way by a rice lake fish we won't question the integrity of that. also have witnessed one of your group filling five gallon buckets of crappie. ask your group which one of them were holding the spear or the light many evenings around Idelwyld and goose creek. Every one of you know one in one thousand Canadians fish blue gills What was said about you and your group hating Americans was exactly the truth if you and your group had of entered the room in your hat and sheet. instead of your pails for that ridicoulous presentatiom.One of the councilours even rolled there eyes at that so that is the weight you carried with that council. I would have respected you fellas alot if you had of just represented yourselves honestly Have a nice day Mike and I will be at every meeting to expose your little group Mayor of Rice lake

Perhaps they were admitting that Simcoe perch are much bigger than rice perch? It would appear to be consistent with the rest of their approach to business promotion - tell the potential guests you can offer much smaller fish. Yup, that's what I look for in a fishing holiday. :lol:

JF

:w00t: :w00t: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping::w00t: :w00t:

Well said John, well said

Edited by tightline

Well, perhaps it's time to give Rice Lake the same fishing quota advantages as everyone else in the Province and cut the gill possession limit to 50. We'll see how this one plays out. Maybe we'll see things work out for the good of the fishery or maybe we'll see the "mayor of Rice Lake" (population32) win to protect his part time job as dock hand at one of the many affluent Rice Lake tourist association members' businesses.

Anyhow.....whatever happens, I have to get going...need to line up the eyeholes in my sheets.

Dirk

Well well well,

They are acusing me of catching Perch in Lake Simcoe to show as Perch caught on Rice Lake. Funny, I guess we should ask the area Conservatoin Officer as he checked me for my licence and also commented on the size of the Perch I was catching. Curious, I'd like to know how to tell the difference between Simcoe Perch and Rice Lake Perch....

Another comment in regards to Icefishermen putting the local Fire Departments at danger. If it wasn't for myself and another fellow angler, there would have been 2 more snowmobile deaths on Rice Lake. We were fishing near Pengally Point just along side a pressure crack when 2 snowmobilers tried to cross the crack. The first guy made it but 2nd guy didn't. The first guy went back to rescue his buddy and fell through himself. With Jay and myself and quick thinking, we managed to rescue them out of the ice and also managed to salvage his snowmobile. I guess we should have taken pictures of them almost drowning before we took on the initiative to get them to safety first.

Garbage??? What garbage? Did anyone out there see garbage on the ice? The only article I saw out there was a grocery bag which blew away from a permenant hut.

The unfortunate part of this whole ordeal is we went through all this with the advisory council. 3 years of consulting with differnt stake holders. I guess the past president of the RLTA did n't pass on the info to their members as we are going through all of this again!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Rice Lake Tourists Association, go find another sand box to do your cat scratching in. You were represented at the meetings. Same as the Buckhorn District also City of Kawartha Lakes. RLTA are the only ones who think this is unjustified and are blaming the poor bookings.

Edited by Ron

Well well well,

They are acusing me of catching Perch in Lake Simcoe to show as Perch caught on Rice Lake. Funny, I guess we should ask the area Conservatoin Officer as he checked me for my licence and also commented on the size of the Perch I was catching. Curious, I'd like to know how to tell teh difference between Simcoe Perch adn Rice Lake Perch....

Simple Ron, Rice Lake perch are smaller and have an RLTA stamp on them...usually near the anal vent.

O.K. I am really peeoood I should have been in bed at 8:30 and here it is 9:57 and I am finally at the end of this brilliant soap opera. I want to nominate NANNA for an Oscar. The Mayor is my second choice. A special thanks to Roy for allowing us to keep track of the players with the I.P. cheat sheet.

I will help the Rice Lake Tourism group.... I am here in Virginia USA and you have not advertised effectively to the point of getting my attention until you came here on OFC. The shame of it is you failed in your attempt to promote tourism in a positive light for the Rice Lake area. I have been coming up North and drive 14 hours to get to a catch and release resort (Nipissing) for the last 5 years. It is a shame that you all did not heed the advice earlier of promoting yourself here at OFC instead of putting on the Soap Opera.

In closing I come to Canada for the people first and the fishing second. If you are a lodge owner a guest that sees you as a friend will return year after year even if they don't get to keep 500 fish.... sell yourselves first we are always watching you at camp and in the news.

Art

This is crap.

I have stayed out of this for a while in an effort to let it settle down. I realized the damage it was doing to the image of the RLTA. They do have some very upstanding members and fine resorts but this type of publicity is not good. I will however not lay down to the public ranting of a few.

For the record:

The perch came from Rice Lake, they were frozen to preserve them for later consumption.

The RLTA is in favour of ice fishing, they voted for it on the council, their current president is quoted in the paper in support of it.

The members causing this "uproar" against ice fishing, Susan Irving Cogar, Randy Cogar and Mike Ferguson are speaking on their own behalf but representing themselves as the opinions of the RLTA. The rest of the RLTA by their silence, act as if they accept this but if I was a business on Rice Lk I would be jumping out of the organization as quickly as possible. They have done nothing but shame themselves and damage their image.

We have no more or less garbage issues than the rest of the province where all outdoor activities take place. Year-round

We had very few incidents of anglers in trouble on the ice and again we are like the rest of the province. When other user groups make up most of the ice rescues, why is ice fishing blamed?

Literally thousands of anglers of all ages enjoyed countless hours and spent tons of money ice fishing in the kawartha's this winter.

We had businesses opening up and hiring staff as a result of the new angling oppoutunities.

We had non-resident anglers visit the kawartha's to enjoy ice fishing here for the first time.

The local business that benefit from angling related income had an increase of 5 1/2 months to the fishing season.

We had local derbies and festivals start up that got new anglers out fishing.

I have not dropped to their level of personal attacks and slander, but I'm not sure why. If having an opinion that supports a healthy fishery and increased angling oppourtunities is offensive to them. Good.

Your precious sunfish resource is protected (from you), you have been given the gift of increased business oppourtunities of 5 1/2 months, you have realized an increase in your resale value of your resort due to this increased business oppourtunity, the walleye population is enjoying a nice upswing and you have some of the most researched and public reviewed fishing regulations in the province. Sorry. :wacko:

If a few mouthy members want to continue this effort to shame themselves and their name in public, then we should give them what they want. Negative press. I can only imagine the joy of staying at their place of business.

It is also time for their members that are seeing the benefits of winter angling to step up. Other groups that are representing anglers need to get involved.

I will be responding to this article in the newspaper. Please join me.

I would like to think that more anglers will get involved with this crap from these people.

Mike B

Edited by Michael Brown

To help us sort this out which lodges is it that Susan Irving Cogar, Randy Cogar and Mike Ferguson own? If they are the ones that are causing the negative press and situation it would seem that by naming their lodges it would be a show of solidarity of the other camps in that they are not the spokesperson for the RLTA. I can say at this point I will avoid the whole Rice Lake fishing just to prevent me from possible booking with the negative RTLA members.

I commend you Mike for taking the time to explain the majority of the RTLA members true views and hope that time heals for the lodges that do not deserve the negative press.

Art