Rice Lake panfishTourist Ass. at it again!

Ron

County opposes Rice Lake fishing designation

Good to see the OFAH voicing their opinion and see that some townships and Peterborough County agree to the many hours of discussion done by the FMZ 17 Advisory Council.

The Peterborough Examiner

That's what I wanna hear. Hopefully everyone will see through the smoke and mirrors of the RLTA propaganda.

Like already mentioned...if they took a fraction of there energy and resources and put it into embracing this new change...can you imagine how much better off they would be.

I think this is great news and congratulat the OFAH (which is something i do not often do) however the statement by the ofah is not totally correct "Local businesses that depend on recreational fishing are fully supportive of the new regulations, such as the daily limit of 300 sunfish of which 30 can be seven inches or longer for anglers with a sport fishing licence, said Terry Quinney, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters fish and wildlife services manager.". I have a few emails from bussiness that totaly want to see unlimited numbers of pan fish caught .

Edited by chessy

For those of you who can not read the link...

County opposes Rice Lake fishing designation

Peterborough County won't ask the Ministry of Natural Resources to create a special designation with specific regulations for Rice Lake, county council decided on Wednesday. The county has heard from the Rice Lake Tourist Association about the new fishing regulations that the province implemented earlier this year. The resort operators association argued for higher limits on the number of panfish that can be caught.

Council decided against supporting a Northumberland County council resolution to ask the Ministry of Natural Resources to create a special designation for Rice Lake. Local businesses that depend on recreational fishing are fully supportive of the new regulations, such as the daily limit of 300 sunfish of which 30 can be seven inches or longer for anglers with a sport fishing licence, said Terry Quinney, the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters fish and wildlife services manager.

"We're fully supportive of these conservation regulations," he told council. "If they're managed wisely, we can enjoy the benefits in perpetuity."

Douro-Dummer Deputy Reeve Karl Moher asked Quinney if there should have been more education or consultation with local associations about safety issues with the introduction of ice fishing for the Kawartha Lakes.

"That's a concern to our EMS people and our fire department that have to rescue these people when they get into trouble," he said.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters would be the first to want to participate in any educational campaign with the county or the Ministry of Natural Resources, Quinney said.

"Safety on the water is paramount," he said.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters doesn't support the idea to create a special designation for Rice Lake, Quinney said.

"The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters agrees that Rice Lake is special.... The socioeconomic value of Rice Lake speaks for itself.... But we also want to promote every other lake in the Kawarthas," he said.

Maybe its time for the RLTA to invest in some local contractors (share the wealth of yesteryear) get their properties up to snuff to embrace the new opportunities before them ....but for some reason ive learned over the years GREED and CHEAP go hand in hand so i wouldnt be surprised if they dont invest into their properties(just my opinion)

Darren - nice write up !!!

Edited by Twocoda

A couple of well written and researched articles on this topic. Great job by Dr T. Quinney and to the Peterborough county council for looking into the work and research done by the MNR, fishery advisory council and public input before making a decision on the topic.

On a seperate note. I have submitted a few responses to the "Letter to the Editor" from the Northumberland Today, that have not been posted. Also on this topic in each posting thread, an RLTA person has had the last response and then the post is closed for comment.

If anyone else has had this happen, please let me know. I am concerned that a local newspaper is practicing censorship to provide the information they(or staff), wish to appear. My posts were appropriate and not in any way vulgar or offensive. I received a response that my post was received and would be reviewed before posting. Apparently the problem must be that I supported the majority of anglers on this topic.

Please let me know as I am planning to contact the upper management of this national organization concerning this issue.

Time to contact Northumberland County Council and inform them that several thousand area anglers will be annoyed if they continue to support the half dozen RLTA members on this issue.

Edited by Michael Brown

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i had a post removed but it was likely because i referred to susan as a "moron"... i'll have to work on my diplomacy.

I have to agree that the US dollar to the Canadian dollar right now is the BIGGEST problem ALL Canadian tourist businesses will have this year...for the first time in over 25 years I have NOT made a reservation to anywhere in Ontario and the #1 reason is our weak dollar.

On another note...when fishing tails off in one lake the anglers will look to another lake in Ontario to try the next year....but in this case where the limit will ONLY BE 300 BLUEGILLS where will any serious pan fishermen go for a larger possession limit...nowhere that I know...Rice Lake is competing against itself...don't these business people realize that...DUH ! ! !

One last thing.....you don't have to winterize the cottages as far as running water......have portable water and supply HEAT...like a wood burning stove and some wood...my wife went up to Big Caribou Lake ice fishing and we didn't mind that at all...love the wood burner and the next winter we had one install in our home.

Bob

Dollars to doughnuts says your IP address would take me right to Alpine Resort...

Good luck with your endeavors, Ice fishing is here to stay, so are the limits of 300 Bluegill and Pumpkinseed. You did know that Bluegill and Sunfish are one in the same don't you? By the way you have articles written up in the News Paper, you mention that your clients throw back all the Sunfish and only keep Bluegill smaller than the size of your hand. Good thing all your clients have BIG HANDS!

Geesh, we finally get 1 person who thinks too much to stop and now we get the next one....

Sincerly,

Ron Reyns

(Ron Reyns Maintenance)

905 372-0512

Well Ron.. if anyone wants to get into the resort market.. give it 2 years with the RLTA'a attitude, and the dollar at par, and you will be able to buy cheap ........and make a good go at it with a bit of insulation and a desire to work, instead of heading to Florida for the winter.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

The self proclaimed Mayor of Rice Lake couldn't raise enough to really be one!

You don't suppose all the bad press he's issuing might have driven some customers away from his bait shop?

Nah, THAT would never happen!

Good one Wayne!

Michael

Two Americans come to Ontario for a vacation - one shoots a moose and after he cleans it he takes home 1000 lbs of meat, the other catches a few hundred bluegill and after he cleans them takes home 100 lbs of fish.

One is a true sportsman and the other is a greedy slaughterer.

Which is which?

You again ;)

Two Americans come to Ontario for a vacation - one shoots a moose and after he cleans it he takes home 1000 lbs of meat, the other catches a few hundred bluegill and after he cleans them takes home 100 lbs of fish.

One is a true sportsman and the other is a greedy slaughterer.

Which is which?

You again ;)

That was an absolutely asinine remark.