My biology teacher thinks C&R is bad

Mykester

fish have very few nerve endings in their mouth....being hooked doesn't actually cause them a lot, if any pain....it's how they are played and handled that induces stress (ie being dropped in boat, held out of water for too long, lactid acid buildup from being fought too long/improperly, poor water quality, etc, etc)....assuming a fish is handled with proper catch and release methods then the fish has a very strong possibility of survival...used to know the % numbers but not anymore

there is of course some mortality with C&R but in the grand scheme of things there are much larger and devastating threats to our fisheries.

did this teacher actually say why she feels that way? did she provide any sort of qualified information, or just running her opinion?

Guest gbfisher

Tell her fish eat spiny, prickly things all day long and if it hurt them they'd all starve!

Then ask her where she got her degree... :lol:

Then tell her Pam has more up top..... :w00t:

She does have a point though. Putting the onus on fisherman to practice C&R is not a way to conserve a fishery.

I think she is confused with her facts is all...lol

Edited by gbfisher

I had a teacher tell me that communism was okay, Stalin and Mao just got a lot of bad press.

There is no doubt that catching a fish on a hook and line, is stressful, frightening and bewilding for a fish. But I don't think their tiny brains have the capacity to retain that memory for very long. Although that may get used to it. Guys will tell you that fish that are routinely caught tend not to fight too hard. Like the trout up in Fergus or carp in English ponds.

Edited by hammercarp

Just ask her if some creep came along and grabbed her...threw her in a van.. tied her up and gagged her.. would she rather be killed and eaten.. or 2 minutes after the abduction released to run home?

I think it would be a hard choice for her. She probably wouldn't wanna die but eaten hmmmmmm :whistling::angel:

She says you're torturing the fish and it's better to eat it than throw it back. Discuss.

Tell her the amount of "torture" that fishermen inflict on a fish when catching it is nothing compared to the magnitude of emotional "torture" women inflict on men during dating or even during marriage. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This idea is not to be taken lightly, Switzerland banned catch and release fishing recently, surprised it didn't make the headlines in this forum.

http://fishing.about.com/od/fishingontheba...Swiss_Catch.htm

Just because someone passes a law does not make it right or smart. I don't expect a law that makes 'intent' illegal to catch on in the rest of Europe or the world. This law may not even last a year especially if they are killing every fish they catch.

From the same article:

“And demanding that people kill the fish they catch gives no thought to the conservation benefits from releasing them."

Angling Codes of Conduct with regards to proper handling and releases can be found for practically any fish species caught by anglers in Switzerland and the rest of the world. The new Swiss law makes it obligatory for anglers to take lessons before being granted a fishing license. So there is absolutely no need for an outright ban on the release of fish in Switzerland.”

EFTTA acting president, Pierangelo Zanetta, said: "EFTTA does not believe that forcing anglers to kill their catches is either good for nature or for recreational sport fishing - which makes a significant financial contribution to the EU economy.

Making the killing of fish obligatory will simply reduce fish population and, at the same time, run the risk of having a negative impact on sport fishing."

"Anglers and the sport of angling invest time and money to improve water quality and create larger and healthier fish populations. We believe is it far better for the fish if the fisherman decides, according to the situation, whether to keep and eat the fish or to release it."

Edited by Syn