My first Grand River Walleye through the ice this year!

Jen

I couldn't wait for the ice to be good enough to fish. From the moment that there was a skim on the Marina I wanted to get out there and here we are, December 19, and there is a good 3 inches plus of ice. If it can hold Steve, his buddy, and the 200lbs of gear they drag out there I knew it would hold me no problem. So at 3:00pm yesterday I headed out with Steve, Ed, James, and two other guys from Windsor who were also dying to get in some ice fishing.

GetAttachment-1.jpg

Steves friend Clayton was running the river on his quad to see how the ice was down further and reported that it is good however there are still some open sketchy areas so we stayed put just in front of our place.

dumbpic.jpg

We were not set up five minutes with the vex in Steves hole,(he never shares his vex) when he says there are fish down there... My buckshot is sitting flat on bottom, fresh minnow wiggling around, because of course I am doing something else... I pull up and there is weight... This one is not a snag... lmao

At just over three pounds it made for a very delicious dinner.

P1010095-1.jpg

bern.jpg

P1010096-1.jpg

As you can tell, three pictures means I am very proud of this fish... It took me forever last year to catch one and this looks like it is going to be a great year.

We both hooked up several more times but lost the fish right at the hole. Make sure you set those hooks, the bite is very light!

It appears the fish are biting, just after first light till around 10:00am and from about 3:00ish till just before dusk. However we were marking fish when Steve insisted we call it a night... so I am sure they will bite after dark.

Cheers,

Jen (Bernadette)