Opinions on this TV please

lew

I'm gonna be purchasing my 1st ever flat screen TV shortly and was wondering what those of you in the know think of this particular model. I followed a recent thread on flat screens and know Samsung is a respected model and from what I understand from the past thread, LCD would suit my needs.

It'll be hooked up to satellite, probably BELL, and will be sitting in a large room with plenty of windows & sunlight.

The price is reduced from $1700 down to $1300 so it seems like a good deal.

Any thoughts ??

http://www.leons.ca/shared/product/product...dItemId=1420713

Edited by lew

Lew... did you see Ron's thread on a new flat screen! Lots of info there..

Yup, that's the thread I was referring to Wayne and where I based my shopping on, I was just looking for opinions on this exact model.

Thanks guys, seems like it's a good set to go with then.

I haven't seen that set in person so I won't comment on it, but...

2001 Audio/Video has it on sale for $1298 and will add a Samsung Blu-Ray for $99 more.

Have an eye out for other value package deals; you might find a store including an HD tuner, stereo/surround sound system or other goodies for just a little more.

Warranty. Love 'em or hate 'em.... some stores are now offering extended warranty plans with a rebate if you don't make a claim on them. For instance, I bought a plasma from Strathroy Audio Video and would have forgone the extended warranty except that if I don't need to make a claim, I get 100% back in a store credit. I just bought appliances from Bad Boy and will get 50% back if claim free. It kind of eases the pain of 'throwing your money away'.

Pay close attention to your viewing distance when choosing a flat screen size. I suspect you'll be fine based on your pictures but bigger is not always better with flat screens.

Were actually re-furnishing the entire new house completely and have always bought all of our stuff from Leons for many years and have always been very satisfied with everything about the store, so that's the reason we'll be buying the TV from them too. It'll make everything much simpler on delivery day. I'll definetely be checking for any added incentives on the TV.

Brian, the TV will be close to 20' from the couch so I'd think that'll be a good distance for the bigger screen.

And Paul, your right about LG, they also make great stuff and we currently have an LG TV in the living room and the washing machine is also LG. Both been working well for quite some time now.

Lew,most any of them in high def will be better than our old eyes can make out.I have the LG and hockey in high def is a thing to behold..go Caps.My pops has a Samsung and it is also great.NASCAR and football will never be the same without high def.

Joe

Um, just an idea for anoyone interested.

I worked for Samsung for almost 2-years. I went to BestBuy close to home and when ask "can I help you?" I said "no I'm just looking at the unit I ordered through work." Then I said "I wonder if my purchase price is better or the same as your staff purchase price?" then the rep. He walked over to the computer and told me the COST that they buy them for. He didn't ask for a business card or nothing. Just a thought...but you can make your own sale price and times when you ask the right questions. Just mention a store down the road selling the same unit for $xxx and you didn't like the serice there so you are at store xxx now...

Edited by GBW

Holy Crap Lew!

A 52 inch!

What.... you wanna see your Muskie in real size format??? ha hahaha

That would make for a nice tube I bet. And with 20 ft from the screen, you could pretend you are casting to your muskie as well!

(Sorry couldn't help ya on your choice, just some wise cracks, hope you see the humor).

Cheers, Ron...

(Sorry couldn't help ya on your choice, just some wise cracks, hope you see the humor).

Always enjoy your humour Ron :lol:

Good to get plenty of opinions, and most certainly appreciated, but as I say we're probably gonna furnish the entire house from Leons as we've always had fantastic service from them over many years, and buying the TV from then too will just make everything easier in a couple months when it's all delivered north.

Seems most folks agree that the big screens are great for hockey, but I actually don't watch ANY sports, infact I may be the only Canadian alive that never saw Gretzky play hockey, or Tiger whack a golf ball. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't even own a DVD player now as I don't watch many movies so prolly won't need the Blu-Ray either. :huh:

Jeeeez, why am I even buying another TV ?? :lol::lol:

Lew

With lots of sunlight, get an LCD TV not a plasma(Not good in sunlight)

At Wal-Mart, they've got a chart to judge the size req'd for the ditance to the screen, or you can googgle that and get a formula to figure out the proper distance.

David aka Superdad

I too was looking for a 52", did all the research etc and read thru ALL the pages of advice offered here ...and elsewhere. Had to go LCD as my family room faces south and glare is BRUTAL from the windows.

Ended up buying a 52" sony Bravia 120HZ for 1700 at best buy!

yup I coulda saved $50 bucks somewhere else....BUT they are going to installed it on a tilt wall mount and hook up the whole system for that same price. They even threw in a "Monster" wall mount surge outlet and the 12' HDMI cable. RESISTANCE WAS FUTILE!!

I too am on Bell Expressvu and the main reason I went for the 120HZ was that I did not want to see ANY blurring on MuskyHunter!!

Good luck on your decision, Lew.

FT