Part 3

fishingisliving

Mid to end summer was uneventful as scheduling issues stopped me from being on the water, but the cold fall slime makes you forget all that.

So should I go on and say all kinds of musky blabla that we all heard from someone else already or read in a magazine somewhere, or should I just skip to the main course?

Well I cannot help but blurb a small entree first: We all stress proper manipulation with this species of fish to ensure our safety and so they release healthy. In the cold pre-winter temperatures this becomes a whole new challenge, the operation of removing hooks in a net can prove frustrating with cold numbing finger tips, this can make us want to take shortcuts. Well don’t! Take your time, focus on what has to be done, before letting yourself get consumed by the excitement of what just happened. Keep a towel in the boat to dry your hands from the freezing water. It might seem silly, but when you have a giant in the net, think about the pictures and where you want to position yourself in the boat and how you will hold the fish before hoisting it out so it’s safe for both of you. Wear gloves if you have to, make sure hands and fingers are warm. When you pull a freezing giant out of the bag you will be surprised that you cannot hold it as straight and as neatly presented as you hoped for the picture. When you do this you do not want to risk holding the fish out of the water too long or risk dropping it and end up with an injured fish, with poor pictures to remember your once in a life time experience. Did I mention, when the sun goes down, all of this becomes a bit more “fun” if you do not have proper lighting. They say 2% of musky anglers catch 98% of the fish, well I say in those people part of the 2% maybe 5% of those are experienced with holding true giants. These slippery, heavy, toothy finger wreckers are very rare, so if you want to have a picture for your memories, then hold the fish properly. Get a good grip on the gill plate, and suppport the rest of the body with your arm and help of your legs while sitting down. Try not to hold them verticaly, the bigger they are the more gravity affects them.

You can follow all the techniques you read or learn from people who share their knowledge, keep trying new things, keep a log, use your lures properly, fish zones that show promise of fish activity. Eventually you will catch muskies, sooner or later everyone gets a bite… but the giants?

This is what I have always been told:

“Nobody catches giants, they catch you!”

giant3.jpg

giant5.jpg

giant6.jpg

giant4.jpg

One of these behemoths still had a small hook on the side of it's mouth, with a long stretch of monofilament along with a sinker. Seems like this girl took a walleye jigger for a short run and snapped the line. We were happy to remove the hook and line from her face and release her. Another small favour in return for letting us have a go at these giants was that we removed a big lamprey from it's back. We hate those things!

So we showed you the small ones in part 1, the mid sized in part 2, and the giants in part 3, one last class remains...

Maybe we will see those in part 4.

Thanks for the third installment, Loic. Heavy duty fishies for sure. I can't believe you're offering a part 4 but if there is one....bring it on!!!!

Tell the Pistilli dude that I have a better hat for him. :D