In-Fisherman Film Shoot Report

tonyb

It's amazing the things that happen on this site here at OFC. There are so many great people that are members here that I have met over the years and it's what this community is all about. Recently I was fortunate enough to be considered for the opportunity to act as host to Doug Stange and the In-Fisherman staff with my new Lund Pro-V.

In-Fisherman was going to be filming a show at Merland Park in Picton and they needed a boat, as they were flying in from Minnesota (fishing gear was couriered, how cool is that!?). They didn't need just any boat though, as they have sponsors that they need to keep happy, so they needed a Lund powered by Mercury.

So it all started when the OFC Quinte gathering was at Merlands and the owner, Kevin, asked if Joey and Tybo would mind coming back to film with their boat in December as they have a new 1900 Pro-V. Unfortunately, they couldn't make it and so they asked Irishfield (Wayne) as he has a beauty Baron Magnum Lund with a sweet Mercury Verado...a perfect boat. But he couldn't get away from work either, and so he passed the opportunity over to me, and since I had some vacation time left, it was a no brainer.

I was very appreciative for the chance to spend some time with one of the fishing legends of our day in Doug Stange.

So it all came together and I just got home from several days on the water with Doug and the gracious host Kevin from Merland Park resort.

I'll stop rambling on here, and give you guys the goods!

Day 1 - I woke up early to go prep the boat and turned right around and headed back inside as I was informed the film shoot would be on hold for a while...this is why...

IMG_0003Medium-5.jpg

We were delayed for a few hours and finally got out onto the Bay. We stayed in the bay working super slow in the 25-30 fow range. We ended up tagging about a 4lb'er and an 11lb before it got dark and we headed in for the day...and with only 50% of the shoot done!

(Sorry no pics of those fish, I forgot my camera in the cabin after taking that 1st snow pic smiley9.gif)

Day 2 - After spending the morning with no success down past the Ferry we returned to the bay after lunch and wouldn't you know it we hit 4 fish in 4 passes to complete the shoot! smiley32.gif (Well technically I caught them with my superb boat control, Doug and Kevin just reeled them in - just kidding! smiley36.gif)

Here's some pics I snapped:

The crew, Doug and Justin (camera guy) and Kevin in red.

IMG_0004Medium-5.jpg

IMG_0005Medium-4.jpg

IMG_0006Medium-6.jpg

IMG_0007Medium-4.jpg

IMG_0008Medium-6.jpg

IMG_0009Medium-7.jpg

IMG_0011Medium-6.jpg

IMG_0012Medium-8.jpg

And just like, the show was a wrap! It's about 2pm now what...?

Well everyone knows Doug loves those big swim-baits so I suggested we tie on a couple of drift socks to slow our drift over the trolling passes where we hooked up before but casting swimbaits this time...well wouldn't you know but it worked! B)

We each hooked a fish in 3 consecutive drifts, and it made for a perfect 2nd mini-segment for In-Fisherman!

Here's some shots, and they even brought out Kevin's boat to get the camera guy onto it for a different angle. I'm looking forward to seeing that perspective of the Lund

IMG_0019Medium-3.jpg

IMG_0016Medium-4.jpg

Doug really convinced me about the effectiveness of these particular baits. He has a way of describing the reason why they are so effective that is so compelling, you really NEED to hear about it, but you'll have to wait for the show!

The same walleye that were barely hooked on crankbaits were absolutely INHALING these swimbaits!

IMG_0017Medium-3.jpg

Doug talking about the effectiveness and backing it up with proof!

IMG_0018Medium-5.jpg

Kevins boat with the cameraman :)

IMG_0019Medium-3.jpg

And one last baby that I caught vertical jigging the afternoon before Doug arrived

IMG_0001Medium-5.jpg

It's been an awesome first year owning the Lund and she is living up to her name 'Ripple Effect' very well. So many great things have happened this year, all revolving around the new boat!

Tony

P.S. Thanks again Wayne and Joey for being so generous as to pass on this great experience on to me!

Edited by tonyb

Glad to see it all worked out Tony! Should have filmed in the snow though... would have given it that real fishin BOQ feel to the show!

Some good fish caught and let us know when the shoot is going to air.

I thought you'd get frozen in at the dock... I shouldn't have passed ! :D

Edited by irishfield

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

that's pretty sweet. as a child the linders and co. always stood out because of their informative and scientific approach to patterning fish.

it must be an honour to have folks like that in your boat.

No doubt that was a treat to say the least for you. You are slowly becoming a fishing super star. First on Aaron and Barry's show, then winning a boat, and now on with Doug Stange. They say good things happen to good people, nice going man.

Fantastic thread, Tony. When we got back from Merland's I was talking to Paul and Joey and they were kind of excited about the prospect of the whole thing but work commitments got in the way. Wayne of course had all that they needed in a boat and motor(s) but his dance card was full as well. I'm really glad that you took it but please don't say that it has to do with "good things happening since you have that boat". You have worked hard and are continuing to work hard for what you have. You know how karma works dontcha Tony? Well, you're only getting a little back of what you put in. Good stuff for sure.

All the best and thanks again for posting this report.

Tony that's fantastic bud, what an amazing opportunity.

Let me get this straight though. It was your idea to throw out the socks and cast swimbaits?

With Stange in the boat?

Sounds to me as though the In Fisherman boys were lucky themselves when they were able to film their show with you. :)

Tony that's fantastic bud, what an amazing opportunity.

Let me get this straight though. It was your idea to throw out the socks and cast swimbaits?

With Stange in the boat?

Sounds to me as though the In Fisherman boys were lucky themselves when they were able to film their show with you. :)

Thanks Mike!

Well Doug had a spinning rod rigged up with one, and it was in the boat the whole time as he really believes the presentation is as mainstay as crankbaits. In fact he even had it out while we were trolling at one point but it didn't get bit. So when we wrapped up the trolling segment, they were open to try anything, and I thought why not try casting??...I'm sure we could have caught them trolling if we kept that up, but I couldn't stop checking out the big hollow bellied minnow rigged up on the big owner jig-head. Not to mention how cool it would be to catch something big on one. So they went along with my idea and we made it happen!

We were all experimenting with the retrieve, slow, fast, deep etc. You can imagine how thrilled I was to land the first fish using the swimbait, and after I did I explained to them what I did to trigger the strike, they subsequently hooked up as well. It turned out the fish were near the surface, top 10-15 feet of water and a slow continuous retrieve with the odd flutter down was the ticket. It could have been either Kevin or Doug that got the first and we would have reproduced whatever it took to catch that fish, but I was lucky to be 1st. B)

My mind is racing now about all the ways this technique could be used to catch other species of fish :D

I'm so happy it worked out for you Tony. I felt it was an opportunity of a lifetime and since we couldn't attend was hoping either you or Wayne could.

I'm glad you had a great time and that the fish cooperated. I can't wait to see the show.

And as Roy said, Karma Baby!!! You deserve it :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

That's an excellant report. What a thrill to fish with the In-Fisherman people. We've been watching them for twenty years and hang on every tip and suggestion.

Your report continues to show that Stange's use of the swimbaits does work, even in the fall conditions. We have thinking about trying them for the last two years, perhaps we'll invest at the Sportsman Show in TO in March.

Good Job and thanks for sharing