canada goose jackets!

pike slayer

So i've been eyeing up the canada goose jackets for a while now. I'd really like to get one but they are quite pricey in the $400-700 range. are they really worth it? are these jackets to warm for this part of the world and only meant for the north pole? these are some pretty wild looking jackets! im worried i'll only wear it a few times a year for the really cold days when out ice fishing and sledding but if im spending that much i wanna wear it all the time. so what do you guys think? good investment or no? http://www.canada-goose.com/6c_mens.htm

CHILLIWACK PARKA, got one last year from Lebaron, $400 on the dot with tax. It was a special promotion.

Like many said, I only wear a Tshirt under when its -10 or so, but if it gets -30, I might add a hoodie or just an underarmor cold gear.

Very warm indeed!

I try to not get it dirty, so I don't usually wear it to fishing.

I have been thinking about it for a while as well, however, like you worm, i think they are too big for what i would do with it...around town...no i wouldnt wear it, way to big...for fishing...well...you aint going to walk in the park with it and again its too big to carry in with you, and honestly...would you want to wear on a maching and get it smelling like gas...........nice jackets, but not really practical unless your an eskimo...especially up here for what we do.

I looked at them a couple of years ago as well when I was buying a winter coat. For the price and weight I decided to get a Columbia down filled parka. More versatile and I haven't regretted it. Mind you I live in the city so extreme cold is not a factor. I do, however have a Mustang Floatation coat and pants for ice fishing.

They are the number 1 choice for winter wear here in Yellowknife, so that should tell you how warm they are. :P

Personally my winter coat is a Choko Designs snowmobile parka. I wear that and Choko bibs when ice fishing, sledding etc. and it's plenty warm. If it's -10 or warmer I ride with the zipper half open.

oxcowboy, if you looked on ebay there is alot for cheaper but if give it a close look they are from china, they are cheap knock offs. i emailed them and they said that the down fill is different then the real ones and thats why the price is so much cheaper. no way in hell am i buying a mustang floater suit! most places where you fall through the ice are in high current areas and you'll be flowing down stream under the ice, also they are the ugliest suits going and you look like a pylon out on the ice, definitely wouldnt want to be walking around town, going to dinner, etc with one of those or hiking in the park.

The Canada Goose coats have become almost as much of a fashion statement as they are a way of keeping warm.

When I sold them at Le Baron, I'd say 95% were sold for urban use. Not many were sold for hunting or ice fishing. Even the people who bought them for extreme applications liked the idea that they could wear them to work or around town - something you can't do with a Mustang.

Also, if the price is too good to be true - it is. Canada Goose essentially sets the prices and does not allow much room for markdowns or sales. You MAY find them on sale, but don't expect it to be much more than no-tax, or 15% off. It is very unlikely that you'll find them at a steal, unless they are used or a knockoff.

Le Baron's Canada Goose rep. brought in some fakes to the store and most times you can't tell the difference. So again, if it looks legit, but the price is too good to be true, don't bother.

Part of the reason why they're so expensive is that they're made in Canada. So when you buy one, take pride in the fact that you're supporting Canadian workers and the Canadian economy.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

they are definitely very warm, but bulky. a decent winter coat, some fleece, and good base layers/moisture wicking will keep you warm and in much greater comfort.

If you're gonna be out in the cold nothing works as good as down. I wore my CG out after years of wear and when looking to replace it I came across a copycat coat at Marks in North Bay. Coat was on clearout for $75 and matching pants for $50. When it's Temagami cold out I can see the guys in the survival looking for shelter after a few hours. Most days I have to open up the coat to let the heat out. I have a survival suit and gortex and fleece but when it's cold it's down for me.

The Marks coat has the zipper sides for riding atv/snowmobiles, a great hood, but no fur and the reflector bars. I'm sure I've seen these coats still on the racks at Marks.

As our friend from Yellowknife states above, the Canada Goose parkas are de rigeur for extreme cold, but they are bulky. When we lived up in NWT we found you could practically camp in them - complete with dry fuel warmers located in the arm pits. Since moving south, noticed a few 'knock offs' being sold in 'discount' stores, so if this is your choice, buy carefully. Woods also makes a good line of extreme parkas. The Canada Goose will last a lifetime.

(indicentally, spouse was former air medivac nurse and part of a test group for Canada Goose parkas. Believe the company is located in the U.S.)

You might want to look at the parkas at Mountain Equipment Coop - www.mec.com. (one time $5 membership fee)Their down parkas are extremely warm, but not a binding jacket and will suit most subzero temps in the southern parts of Canada. Built with the proper venting properties for active use. We have a couple that are used in activities such as sledding and cross country skiing and are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

so i seen a chillawhack on ebay with a "buy it now" for $425 then i noticed the guy had bidding on it to and no reserve price. i put a bid on it for $150 and i won it at $127. im sure the guy selling it didnt want to sell it for that cheap and will probably crap in the pockets. its new with tags the guy claims its a real one and by the pics it also looks real. it came in friday and i'm going to pick it up tomorrow. i sure hope its the real deal and for that price you cant beat that. the chillawhack is alot smaller/thinner jacket then the rest and not so extreme. definitely a good investment that will last me for years.

Guarantee you won't be cold in it. My dad has one and let me tell you, it's the heaviest coat I have ever picked up. :) I don't know how many times I fished with my dad on boq in the fall and he wouldn't wear it cuz it was too warm, haha, meanwhile it was -8 with the wind chill at the time.

It is pricey, but if you want to keep warm, you will have no issues with that coat.

I remember seeing them at the T.O. Sportsmans Show a few years ago, they had this huge cylinder container full of down (sp?), 22 oz worth. That represented the amount of down in their coat. That doesn't sound like alot, but you weigh 22 oz of feathers and see how many you end up with, haha, that cylinder was huge.

Edited by Hooked

The Canada Goose is a fashion statement as someone mention above. I rather stick with my North Face Titanium jacket with armpit zippers to cool down during active sports. It also repels rain much better then the CG and isn't as bulky. If the guys who climb Mt Everest wear North Face, I'm sure it good for my winter sports.

The Canada Goose is a fashion statement as someone mention above. I rather stick with my North Face Titanium jacket with armpit zippers to cool down during active sports. It also repels rain much better then the CG and isn't as bulky. If the guys who climb Mt Everest wear North Face, I'm sure it good for my winter sports.

This was funny... CG is a fashion statement over the "North Face Titanium." Nice coat BTW. Yeah, I guess some yuppies down here have caught onto CG...

To answer the original post. Dood... you may find Canada Goose's line of parkas a little bit too warm for the south, but that said... I've worn mine down here a few times and if it's too toasty I open it up... Up north in the winter, many days I'd drive my skidoo to work in the mornings in -20 to -40 cold and wear anything from a work T-shirt to a single sweater and be just fine cruising up to 160km/hr across the river on the ice road. I don't find mine heavy as it's all that gets worn all winter... And while fishing... southern buddies will usually be in the huts or Clams before you... that's for sure. North Face and Woods coats are good but aren't as warm... simple. CG are the number #1 choice for those who can afford them across the north which I had lived. Drifter16 seems to be saying the same thing for Yellowknife.

Never regretted paying for mine. Same with my wife. After both having ours 8 years each and them seeing lots of wear... they're still in great shape...

Edited by Moosebunk

drive my skidoo to work in the mornings in -20 to -40 cold and wear anything from a work T-shirt to a single sweater and be just fine cruising up to 160km/hr across the river on the ice road.

-40 and cruising at 160K would make for an interesting windchill :lol:

I think it was January 2006 or 2007 Roy when every morning for about 2 weeks had windchills in the -45 to -52 range. It was just a brutal stretch I remember. Thems days be cold sometimes and I'd warm up the Renegade for like a 1/2 hour then scoot across that river as fast as I could. Every winter had it's share of snaps I guess. Anyways, there was always this little space with the parka at the neck where the helmet wouldn't allow me to zip it up quite all the way... if I didn't duck just right and was wearing just a sweater or even T'shirt... the air would get me there and really bite. Same with the eyes... water water water some morns.

Fastest that skidoo ever rode for me was 187km/hr, never probs getting it to 160... On real cold days you wouldn't keep that speed for long, as you're right... it's extra windchill for sure. lol.

Man... I'll miss my morning commutes this winter.