2000 Kilometers, 2 Anglers and 1 unforgettable night

Bly

Part One… Fishing for Blues

This past weekend would normally have seen me on my way to Magnetawan, ON to spend the weekend camping with friends on an annual trip but this year was to be different. Wednesday after work I was on my way to New Jersey to see my brother ALEX. Alex has been living in various states on the East Coast for the past 20 years and has developed a love/passion for Surf Fishing. My previous trips to see him had never allowed for fishing, this time it was a priority. A few days before I was to leave, hurricane Bill started making his way up the coast, we needed to time our trips just right.

I knew things were going to be crazy busy if we wanted to do everything planned, decided to split the drive time over 2 days. Loaded up the car with some of my medium/heavier gear just in case we couldn’t fish the coast and on the road by 6. I arrived in the Syracuse NY area around 11:30, unloaded, found some food etc. I don’t know about anyone else but I rarely sleep well before a fishing trip, fell asleep around 1:30 and up at 6:00. Took my time getting going again, I was excited but knew Alex would still be at work if I arrived too early, on the road at 9:30. I would regret this later. The drive should have taken about 5 hours, construction and a few redirects; I arrived 6.5 hours later.

**Here is a tip, when taking a road trip and Google tells you to take a “slight” right or left, use the satellite feature to zoom in a get a good look, “slight left” could mean an actual left turn, veer to the left or even continue straight. Another tip, there are very few places in Jersey where you can actually turn, left or right, many intersections are marked “no turns”, and when you find a place to turn, it is usually marked “All turns” which means everyone who wants to change direction will be using this turn. Looks much like when you come off the highway, it splits into 3 directions…this is really fun when you are trying to get back to where you did make a wrong turn lol

“Slight Left” (per directions) at Edgeboro Rd sends you Southbound on 18 (red line) but continue straight and you go Northbound on 18 (green) like I needed to.

slightleft.jpg

On with the story… Arrived about 4pm had 20 minutes to nap before Alex walked in, shaking with excitement and dinner. We ate, loaded the gear and were on the road again to Belmar, NJ for my first ever Blues Cruise.

A few comments about Blues from the mates and regular Blue anglers… Bluefish are known for making a big ruckus and being just total predators. They are fast - swim in packs - have very sharp teeth – voracious eaters and pretty much just exist with the sole purpose of finding helpless baitfish and killing everything in their path. They are mean creatures. Bluefish are tackle busters, they rip line off your reel and they never quit. They will bite through almost anything - including your finger. They tear apart flies, ruin wooden plugs, break rods, bite the boat, bite you. If they came as big as Stripers, they would eat the boat!!!

In many respects, a fish that are to be admired greatly for their shear tenacity and will to survive and ability to survive in the ocean where THEY THEMSELVES are tasty bait to bigger predators such as tuna, sharks etc.

Alex had been watching the reports from the party boats in that area and they had been doing well over the past few days. Our boat was the Golden Eagle, 100 footer.

30_resize.jpg

Mary, Alex and Eric

31_resize.jpg

32_resize.jpg

33_resize.jpg

34_resize.jpg

We boarded, picked out our spots and had time to meet and chat with some of the mates and anglers aboard. Everyone on the boat was great. Mary was the only other woman on board and like me, was fishing with her brother (Mike). This woman is amazing, not only does she really know her fishing but also she knows every party boat and crew in the area (not just Belmar), their schedules and how they have been doing. Alex and Mike shared and compared a few things about having sisters with a passion for fishing and Mary shared some great tips on other boats and locations for the future.

We met Steve, Eric and John next. John was camera shy.

42_resize.jpg

Three guys that do a fair amount of fishing and travelling to do it, all 3 have made trips to various places in Canada. Talked Musky, trout, salmon and walleye for a bit, John really enjoys the fishing on Nipissing. The boat was at about half full due to it being a weeknight and the storm coming in. We also met CJ who was part of a large group of guys there for a bachelor party and mostly new to fishing.

A few pictures of the ride out.

36_resize.jpg

37_resize.jpg

39_resize.jpg

We launched at 7:30, the ride out was a little rougher than normal and I was glad that I had taken a Dramamine. The boat slowed and I had a few moments to get pictures of some of the other boats in the area…8 or so. I had consumed a fair amount of caffeine over the past 12+ hours and was feeling the diuretic effects, headed for the back of the boat where the mates were preparing the bait to find the ladies head. As soon as I closed the door I knew I was in trouble. The head was maybe 2ft by 2ft, stifling hot and no airflow took Dramamine #2. Returned to my spot just as the boat was coming to full stop, thought that maybe my stomach would a get a few minutes to settle, was I ever wrong. The boat began to heave side to side as the waves in the area hit it. The captain then needed to adjust our location, more heaving.

Everyone got their lines in when the boat stopped again and you could feel the excitement on the boat, a good night gets you the usual limit of 15 each. None of the boats in the area were getting any action. Usually the first fish is on the line before all the lines are out. We stayed in that location for a bit while the captain adjusted the boat a few times and the mates tossed some chum hoping to get the blues feeding. Time to look around for the fish. The boat begins to move again and at this time my stomach wants to empty itself of everything it has ever consumed, Dramamine #3. Not sure how long we drove around but what I do remember is… Wishing I had left Syracuse earlier, thus leaving me time for a longer nap and less caffeine before getting on this boat. Alex muttering under his breath that because of the hurricane we need to be looking closer to shore. I remember wishing that boat fuel did not smell so bad (we were moving in large circles along with a few other boats). I remember Steve and Alex talking and Steve offering encouragement. I remember thinking it would be easier to just jump over board than stay on my feet while looking desperately for lights in the distance to focus on waiting for it to end and I remember telling myself that there was NO WAY I was going to toss my cookies in front of all these men LOL

Captain did decide to head closer to shore and along the way my stomach finally began to settle. Full stops again, lines in and FISH ON! I am not sure I can describe what came next but try and picture this…

Approximately 35-40 anglers side by side (trout opener came to mind) all within a 100 ft line with about 3 ft clearance behind each one, hand them all a 7ft or longer rod rated for 20-40lb line, 1-5 ounces. These are rigged with mono line, weightless and a 6”-12” stiff steel leader and 6/0 hook, baited with bunker or mackerel, either dropped straight down or lobbed out a bit (no overhand casting allowed). Once the bait begins to sink, you strip a bit of line, 5- 10 count, hold, repeat, keeping tension on the line the whole time. There is no missing a hit, they slam it and run. There are 35-40 lines in the water and if possible most people will try to get their lines out of the way if they can but these fish travel in large packs and when the feeding begins, it is non-stop, often several fish are being fought at the same time.

When the fight begins the angler will often have to go with the fish to either the front or back of the boat. So, you have a 15lb angry blue fish on the line and now you are trying to walk with the fish, rod in the air to keep the tension and to keep your line clear of peoples heads and line, behind other anglers who may or may not also have a fish on the line on a deck covered in blood and bait pieces while the boat is rolling with the waves…what a blast!!! Understandable it is not uncommon that your fish comes over the side tangled in 2 or 3 other lines, no way to avoid it. Oh and the only way to get them in the boat is to gaff them.

This is where the skill of the mates is most needed. The mates on this cruise were good. Gaff em, get them over the side, figure out whose line is whose, cut em (waste of good fishing time to untangle so you cut and retie), hand back the rigs and on to the next fish. Alex’s knowledge was a real help; I had my first fish on in less than 5 minutes of getting my line in. Alex had been watching the other lines carefully and noticed that they were not sinking well, pulled me aside to add some split and suggested that I bait with a piece of bunker and a piece of mackerel. Those adjustments made and it was non-stop for the next hour and a bit. Alex had me set up so well that I was hooking into one within minutes of every time I got my line in, one of the mates decided it was easier to just stay next to me. I was using Alex’s reel on the new rod he bought me, hard work for me to say the least. Alex is right hand retrieve, I am left. Alex uses conventional reels and I now understand why the word “levelwind” is so important. I managed to land most of the fish I hooked and did not mess up his reel. Alex was getting the usual razzing about a girl out fishing him but the real reason was that he was busy keeping me rigged and helping out a few newbies.

Enter CJ. Poor CJ had been hooking up all through this but could not get one in the boat. Part of the issue was the rental rod he was using and there was of course his lack of knowledge. We felt so bad for the guy and we were determined to get him one. Time was running out and the bite was slowing down so Alex handed over his rod and began coaching him, while I tried to hook one to hand over. CJ got one on the line, break off. While Alex was rigging up again, I handed him one…he fought it for a few minutes and lost it. CJ says thanks and tells us to go back to fishing, figures he should just quit, but neither of us thinks this is acceptable. Alex hands over the rod again, this time CJ is doing well until his line gets reeled up into another rod, break off. I get a hit, set the hook and hand over the rod. He starts fighting and this one is really going…help him walk it all the way to the front, coaching him all the way. The line gets hooked just under the front of the boat (which at least kept it out of the anchor line), the mate got the line off the boat, and the fish bolted again and others began cheering him on. He finally got the fish where it could be gaffed and again, my respect to the mate who had to gaff it from that location. The smile on his face was priceless. The bite was pretty much gone after that and we settled down for the ride back. During all this Steve, who knew I had not been feeling well, came to check on me and make sure that I was getting into fish. I was ok by then but still feeling a bit embarrassed until Steve suggested I take a look around the boat… I noticed more than one guy gripping the rails and one that was passed out and had been for most of the trip. Apparently the waters were a bit rough even for guys who do this on a regular basis. We arrived at the docks at 2:30 AM, long day. Final count, 19 fish hooked, 4 handed off to CJ, 1 to another “bachelor”. Alex went 3/6 and I went 5/8. I had hoped to take pictures while we were fishing but it was a choice of fish or photos and I was there to fish.

CJ on the way back..still smiling.

46_resize-1.jpg

We took these back at the dock while the mates filleted the fish.

52_resize.jpg

54_resize.jpg

Close up of the footwear I am told all the smart anglers wear...

48_resize.jpg

We had talked of hitting the beach for a few hours on the way home but I was exhausted, left arm cramped and throbbing, stomach still not completely right, and since we would be out that night anyway, decided to head back. Home base at 4:15 AM Friday morning, unload the gear, shower (did I mention that mackerel really really stink and I am not sure I will ever get the smell out of the clothes I was wearing?) and crawled into bed at 5AM anticipating what was next…

Edited by bly

Part two… Surf Fishing

11am Friday Morning grabbed some food and headed back to Alex's house. 6 hours of sleep and we were on the move again. When the hurricanes move up the coast they push in all kinds of fish that one does not normally have access to from the beach. The local weather was hot and humid, threatening storms all around the region. The plan, to fish Friday night into Saturday morning as long as the fish were biting or the weather would allow. We spent part of the day shopping at some of Alex's favorite local tackle shops for supplies and of course a new toy for me. I am now the proud owner of an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5501C3 reel, left hand retrieve, thanks again to my big brother  The rest of the day was spent prepping gear and visiting with his family and a delicious dinner of Bluefish.

12 PM the car is loaded and we are on our way to Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook is a barrier spit, approximately 9.7 kilometers long and 800 meters wide.

225px-Wpdms_usgs_photo_sandy_hook.jpg

We arrived around 1AM and had the entire beach to ourselves. Quick walk around the beach to asses the weather and surf. Enough wind to keep the bugs away and stars in the sky, time to fish. We brought 6 rods (legal to run as many rods as you can handle), 4 for bait and 2 for plugging. Pounded 4 sand spikes in the ground and began baiting and setting up the 4 bait rods.

132_resize.jpg

172_resize.jpg

#1- 11' heavy spinning rod with a striper rig baited with clam.

#2- 11' medium heavy spinning rod with a mullet rig baited with shrimp.

These 2 rods were set up for striper, sea robins, skates, ray and so on, the next two were for our true target…. Brown sharks or duskies as the locals call them.

#3- 11' heavy conventional glass rod with 50# mono hybrid line, 30 yards of 60# fluorocarbon, 7' of 140# stainless steal wire and 10/0 hook baited with 12" by 4" bluefish fillet.

#4 -11' extra heavy airwave conventional rod rigged and baited the same.

Everything was set up; lines in the water and the first drops of rain began to fall, good thing we brought the rain gear. Alex gave me a quick review on how to use his conventional reels and what to watch for that would indicate a hit. There is a lot more natural movement of the rods in the surf compared to any other still fishing that I have done. Just as he finishes I notice that rod #3 is moving in an odd way and ask him about it. Alex checks the line, doesn't feel anything until he is just about to put it back in the spike. All of a sudden he feels the weight and pull, sets the hook and hands the rod off to me (Alex always gives first fish to guests). Alex runs to reel in rods #1 AND #2 avoid tangling and "woo hooing" about me hopefully getting my first ever-Brown shark. The runs and speed were amazing. I admit it, I was intimidated. I was battling something like I have never felt before while trying to retrieve right handed and remember that I had to lay the line on manually. 30 minutes went by and I was feeling the effects from the previous trip and trying to fight with my weaker arm…I realized that I was likely going to lose this fish if the fight went on much longer. Seconds later, another amazing run and I knew it was time to hand off. Alex assessed the feel of the fish and guessed it was a good-sized Duskie. I went back to watch the last rod.

Another 30 minutes go by. Rod #4 is still out but getting no action. The fish on line is still fighting hard, figure we are going to be at it for a bit yet, best to reel in the last rod. Alex is getting excited; he has never hooked into a fish that has taken him longer than an hour to land. The rain is beginning to fall a bit heavier now and we were seeing flickers of lightening in the distance.

Another 30 minutes or so go by. The rain is still going, the lightening has shown itself and we have heard thunder. We both realize that this is not an ideal situation but this fish has been on for 1.5 hours, no way either of us want to cut the line. We were staying as long as we could. I broke down the other 3 rods and got the gear ready in case we needed to cut the line and run. I also taped up Alex's thumb at this point as it was getting quite sore from thumbing the spool.

2 hours have now gone by. About this time I realized I should try and get some pictures of this.

192_resize.jpg

182_resize.jpg

The fish also decided to change tactics; it had been running mostly straight out, now it decided that it was going to go left and right. Over the next hour we counted the time between lightening strikes and the thunder. I lit smokes for Alex, handed him drinks, held food for him, cleaned his glasses, retied his rain pants a few times, helped him empty water from his boots, following him and the fish up and down the beach. running back to check our gear and so on. At different times throughout the night the fish had us 150 yards to the left and then 75 yard to the right of our starting location. Being new to this, I asked if it was possible that this fish could have somehow gotten foul hooked but he had felt the headshakes and the fish's tail hitting the line from time to time. Alex was doing his best to get square with the fish and try to get ahead of it.

232_resize.jpg

3 hours have gone by and Alex had decided long before that this was not a Brown but isn't sure what it is. Much of the next hour was spent repeating our routine of him fighting the fish and me being his mate. Dawn was approaching, the lightening, rain and wind were gone but we still had no idea what we had on the line. We started really thinking about what we could have possibly hooked into. About this time we were also getting a bit punch drunk as they say and decided that we most assuredly had tail hooked into the worlds largest goby… Moby Goby is how we will forever refer to this fish.

The fish again changed tactics, it is now running straight out, Alex gets it back in and then it would hold on bottom for sometimes 20 minutes. Tried many things to move it but nothing worked, just had to wait.

Sunrise and the fish is still on the line.

262_resize.jpg

The heat and humidity were rising fast, the wind was gone and we were still in our soaked rain gear. I helped Alex out of his rain gear and dashed down the beach for bug spray (they were making a grand feast of him) and the binoculars. Finally we just might get a look at what is on the line.

3.5 hours and there they are… 2 fins just out of the water. Shark, a good one and the fins look like those of a sand tiger.

Sand Tiger Shark info for the curious and a picture... Sand Tiger Shark

sand-tiger-shark.jpg

The fight this fish has been giving now makes more sense. Sand tigers are occasionally hooked in the area but rarely.

4 hours have gone by. Other anglers are beginning to arrive. It was interesting to watch them. You could tell that they thought he was snagged up, then they would hear the drag. A few of the regulars that know Alex arrived and stopped by to chat, offer encouragement and tell me a few stories about times they have fished with him. Everyone was hoping to get a look at this fish.

Video taken at 4 hours into the fight....

252_resize.jpg

302_resize.jpg

Then it happened… 7:21 AM and after 4.5 hours of stress on the line, it broke. We were speechless. Alex looked out over the water, tipped his head and rod with respect to the fish and we began the long walk back to our gear in silence. Not a word was said by anyone as we passed by the other anglers. We reached our gear; Alex lit a smoke and announced that I was going to get a fish before we left the beach. Rigged and baited the two spinning setups and cast them out. A little while later I landed a sea robin. We called it a night/day and headed home.

Alex casting out

322_resize.jpg

362_resize.jpg

My first ever sea robin

332_resize.jpg

The ride home was spent reliving the night, talking it out, the usual should of, could of, wish I had done this and so on… We arrive home about 11AM, we had been up for 24 hours but neither of us could sleep. We gave the details to his family, discussed tactics and he began making plans for the new reel with much heavier line that he is going to buy…he also plans to head out every time there is a hurricane moving up the coast to hunt his white Moby Goby. LOL

Although we were not able to land the shark, we experienced something that I have only ever read about, never dreaming that I would be part of, a night neither of us will ever forget. Being able to share this experience with my brother is something that I can never describe but I hope that there are at least a few of you who can perhaps relate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long-winded report! If I ever get the chance to do it again, I will and armed with what I learned over the past few days, maybe just maybe I will get the chance to battle and land my own shark.

Excellent Excellent Epic report Carole!!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I'm sorry, but I had to LMAO at the catching the Choppers (Bluefish) on the boat story... and I'm still laughing!!! :w00t:

It makes me want to hop in the truck and drive the 5 hours down to the coast and get on a boat!!! I love the deep sea fishing, and the smell of deisel exhaust, cut bait, and salt air mix is like the sweetest perfume to me... but has sent many a landlubber to the railing to "chum"! :o

Using the thumb of your rod hand to lay the line on your conventional reel is a trick only experience will give you. ;)

The surf fishing report was awesome as well, man I was hoping y'all would land that fish!!! :angry:

Fishing the surf just before and right after a hurricane is always the best with some huge fish and fish you wouldn't normally catch at any other time.

Thank you very much for those 2 reports!!!

... now if you'll excuse me... I have to go fondle my saltwater tackle... :P

btw... I take my own tackle when fishing charter or party boats, party boat rods and reels are usually crap and charter boat's are only a little better.

I know y'all were using your own rods and reels, but I like to use my own terminal tackle too... namely a red circle hook (3/0-5/0), that way when the big fish tangles lines and is brought into the boat with my red circle hook in his mouth there's no question as to who's fish it is! ;)

Charter boats aren't too bad, but there are fish thieves on party boats! :angry:

Edited by GCD

Dang Carole,

You should really consider starting a fishing show!

4.5 hr. fight!!

I would have been crying or screaming or both.

Nice to spend time with family enjoying the same passion.

Great read :thumbsup_anim:

What a great report... fighting a fish for that long!! WOW!!

CJ says thanks and tells us to go back to fishing, figures he should just quit, but neither of us thinks this is acceptable. ..... The smile on his face was priceless.

Thats awesome!!!

Now THAT is a fishing story. Great read :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I can gladly sypathize with you on the urge to chum the waters. Did the same jigging for cod. I'm fine when the vessel's running, but turn off the engine in a corkscrew swell with no horizon to fix on...... :blink::stretcher:

Thank you gentlemen for all your kinds words :)

Excellent Excellent Epic report Carole!!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I'm sorry, but I had to LMAO at the catching the Choppers (Bluefish) on the boat story... and I'm still laughing!!! :w00t:

Glen, It is ok that you laughed, so am I ......now lol We did use our own terminal tackle as well. I didn't see any fish stealing but I can see how it could happen, using red hooks is a great tip, thanks!

Dang Carole,

You should really consider starting a fishing show!

Thanks Grant :blush:

I'm exhausted just reading it!

I can't believe you let MTP try to net that shark for you.

Thanks for the report Carole!

Alex, after I make the "slight left" at Egdeboro, how do I find your place??

-Brian

Poor Mike is never going to live that down is he?? LOL

where the hell can I get those boots!

Somewhere in New Jersey, maybe when ALEX gets off the road he can chime in with the name of the place/boots....They are sweet though, as light as crocs and wash up as easy.

you are one awsome chick