The CO is checking :)

LeXXington

I know that NO one that is on this board would go fishing without a licence but, Just a FYI.

I was out at Port Maitland over the weekend.. (a sheepshead does not count for a report) and when I was packing up my boat a plain clothed gentleman came over too me "flashed" a badge and say "I'm a co" can I see your fishing licence.

After asking to see the badge again and confirming it was a nice CO. We chatted a bit then off he went checking otheres, First time I have been approched by an undercover CO.

Apparently there were 11 people on Bying Island fishing without the licence and not too sure if they found anymore on the peir.

Save yourself the $$$ and just go get the licence, nice too see them out there checking

When I was just over 16 I got caught fishing without a license...I was moving from Arkansas back up to Ontario; and as our last get together everyone went fishing....we had a great time...didn't even get a bite.....but on the way out we got a $500 USD ticket each and the guy even threatened to take all of our stuff....someone was on a power trip.

I learned my lesson....that ticket would of probably paid my fishing license fee's till I was into my 30's lol....

Live and learn right!

Good stuff. I can imagine how much of a field day they had on Byng Island. I was there once and as a guy is filleting a sheephead and cooking another one on the fire.. he turns to me and asks "what kind of fish is this?"

I know that NO one that is on this board would go fishing without a licence but, Just a FYI.

I was out at Port Maitland over the weekend.. (a sheepshead does not count for a report) and when I was packing up my boat a plain clothed gentleman came over too me "flashed" a badge and say "I'm a co" can I see your fishing licence.

After asking to see the badge again and confirming it was a nice CO. We chatted a bit then off he went checking otheres, First time I have been approched by an undercover CO.

Apparently there were 11 people on Bying Island fishing without the licence and not too sure if they found anymore on the peir.

Save yourself the $$$ and just go get the licence, nice too see them out there checking

Ive been checked on simcoe by a couple plain cloths CO'S.... "hows the fishing been? " Not bad ... Pull over im a CO. lol

Good stuff. I can imagine how much of a field day they had on Byng Island. I was there once and as a guy is filleting a sheephead and cooking another one on the fire.. he turns to me and asks "what kind of fish is this?"

You should have acted all concerned and asked the guy if he had already eaten some of it and told him to go to the hospital if he had. But then again maybe you're not as big a jerk as me <_<

Anyway it's great to see them out.

Glad they caught some cheaters on the island. We were on the lower Grand R. on Sunday and the CO was around in an unmarked boat without any markings. I won't discuss the details any more clearly than that so as not to let the cat out of the bag as the plain look is probably what they are trying to accomplish, even though it is somewhat like the unmarked police car approach. If you are on the look out you can spot them a mile away.

Funny thing was when they were around hitting up all the boats one of the boats fishing decided it was time to beach it and have a shore picnic. Hmmmmm, wonder why?

i have fished (a LOT) since i was a kid (am now 35). Buy a license every year (and follow the rules to a T) and have only been checked for a license once in my life.

One of my friends...fishes maybe once every 3-5 yrs....was fishing in a back lake (no roads) in the middle of nowhere, and a CO walks out of the bush to ask for a license.

(and yes, he had one)

Few weeks ago CO's had a road side check on the 35 south right where it merges with the 115. They stopped all traffic and asked if you had been hunting or fishing. I had my boat so I got to pull over and had to show my license and was ask what we were fishing for, then they searched the truck and boat for any fish we shouldn't have had. That was the first time I've ever had to show my license. We were all good and bacck on the road fast.

I won't discuss the details any more clearly than that so as not to let the cat out of the bag as the plain look is probably what they are trying to accomplish, even though it is somewhat like the unmarked police car approach. If you are on the look out you can spot them a mile away.

Gah, the po-po are getting craftier every year.

PigTaxi.jpg

Heh I went all last year without having a license, just assumed I had it and didn't notice I forgot to renew the sticker. Ooops. I did get charged with fishing without a license once, the one & only time I've ever been checked. I HAD a license, but the damn sticker washes off the card if it gets wet.

about 10 years ago was out fishing opening weekend of walleye with my father in law and brother in law

there was about ten boats fishing the same area (river outlet)

one small skiff with a 20hp yammy had two guys in fishing in it when we arrived at the spot

they trolled past and said hi hows it going blah blah blah

and show us the two eyes they have on the stringer

a little while later they head over to shore and have a little fish fry

we fished away from the crowd and caught a few slot size eyes

well an hour goes by and the two guys get back in the boat and start fishing again

they troll up to us and the usual hows it going any luck questions

we say ya we got a few

out comes the badges

measure up the fish (all within slot size) ok lets see the licenses

bro in law left his wallet at home so no license on him

co says ok come into the office monday morning and show the license and no ticket (thought that was decent of him)

funny thing though while they were checking us about six boats took off ..wonder why?

good to see them out

Friday before last, 7:30am on Gull Lake in Minden I got checked...unmarked boat but had his brown jacket on...nice to see them out. Great pic of the Cop Taxi, CL :D

A lot of lakes, like Gull, might only get worked once a season. Most, never, so they target areas with well known to have crowds. After all, there are some 50,000 lakes and how many CO's?

I have seen a pair of CO's work the backwoods years back, plain clothed. Just kept visiting lake to lake along the portages.

Heh I went all last year without having a license, just assumed I had it and didn't notice I forgot to renew the sticker.

Happened to my son. By the time he noticed, it was only a couple of weeks til the new renewal date so he figured, eh, might as well wait til I get the new one and just skip a year. A couple of days later he got stopped. It cost him $150 plus the past year's sticker, plus the new one.

Crime doesn't pay. :D

You should have acted all concerned and asked the guy if he had already eaten some of it and told him to go to the hospital if he had. But then again maybe you're not as big a jerk as me <_<

Anyway it's great to see them out.

HAHAHA, I've got to remember that one! Cause I'm a "jerk" 99% of the time on a good day...

I've been stoped 2 times in the past 2-years so every Jan.2nd I'm getting a new sticker. I even have 2 local MNR guys numbers on speed dial in my cell and the TIPS line for those times when I see something wrong going on but it's not my place to say something to them. The CO can come and watch and call it at the end of the day. Good on them for being out! (my lake has the MNR out all year round and it's a tiny lake but they need to be there and they do a damn good job). Oh and the 2 times I was asked for my card, it wasn't on my lake...

Geoff

Gah, the po-po are getting craftier every year.

The taxi cruiser, that's nasty!

Matttude, we've been checked twice, although not recently, by the OPP near the narrows. Not while shore fishing though but I betcha if they did they would be passing out more than one summons per day!

about 10 years ago was out fishing opening weekend of walleye with my father in law and brother in law

there was about ten boats fishing the same area (river outlet)

one small skiff with a 20hp yammy had two guys in fishing in it when we arrived at the spot

they trolled past and said hi hows it going blah blah blah

and show us the two eyes they have on the stringer

a little while later they head over to shore and have a little fish fry

we fished away from the crowd and caught a few slot size eyes

well an hour goes by and the two guys get back in the boat and start fishing again

they troll up to us and the usual hows it going any luck questions

we say ya we got a few

out comes the badges

measure up the fish (all within slot size) ok lets see the licenses

bro in law left his wallet at home so no license on him

co says ok come into the office monday morning and show the license and no ticket (thought that was decent of him)

funny thing though while they were checking us about six boats took off ..wonder why?

good to see them out

They know this trick far to well. I have herd that while they are checking somebody, they will stop and not even complete their check if they see other boats taking off, and they will begin to chase them down. By them taking off it lets them know that they are doing something wrong for sure.

I'd take off too. Fishing is so over regulated they can just keep on digging till they find something or make something up. If I have a bucket in the boat they might call it my minnow bucket and thats good for a couple fines. Why is it illegal to fish in the first place.

If you have a jug with the bottom cut off for a bailer some cops will take the lid off it and call it a funnel and charge you for no bailer.

Cop threatened to charge a guy because the #s on his boat were not reflective tape.

Why hang around to see if the officer has a bug up his butt.

Few weeks ago CO's had a road side check on the 35 south right where it merges with the 115. They stopped all traffic and asked if you had been hunting or fishing. I had my boat so I got to pull over and had to show my license and was ask what we were fishing for, then they searched the truck and boat for any fish we shouldn't have had. That was the first time I've ever had to show my license. We were all good and bacck on the road fast.

I Thought they needed visual evidence to do a search, that's what i was taught during fish and wildlife law. Definitly would have asked if i could help them find something. Same thing with the license, they can only legally look at your license if they see you fishing. My gf's uncle got away with that on Sunday mornig after we were fishing, two of us produced and he politly said no, we're not fishing. We had the boat on the trailer on just aboutto go home, and the CO just happened to be walking out of the building at the time.

Yes, it is good to see the CO out there.

I was up in a Conservation area just north of Brampton and the CO was having a field day.

He had is MNR truck and his ATV.

When I left he was writing up, not one, not two, but three guys for not having a fishing license.

The guys did not look happy at all. :wallbash:

Jose