WFN

mbac31

I know this post will probally get pulled. Not bashing them just wondering?

I was just wondering whats the deal with WFN. I paid for a fishing channel but lately it seems to be running out of ideas. Re runs, Movies etc. Most of the better shows are Canadain. I dont want to see endless re runs or 2007/2008 reruns of FLW. Infomercials are on there alot lately.

Is it just me ?

Edited by smalliefisher

I know this post will probally get pulled. Not bashing them just wondering?

I was just wondering whats the deal with WFN.

Seriously, why would you start a thread with the belief that it might get pulled? I would think that the best people to ask would be the folks at WFN.

Seriously, why would you start a thread with the belief that it might get pulled? I would think that the best people to ask would be the folks at WFN.

I wouldn't rely on them for a straight answer.On the few times I have written to WFN I never got a straight answer. Why would they. The business is there to make money. To do that you have to air programs and advertising, A saturday filler makes sense. Anglers are busy fishing, and viewership is down at those times. That means cheap ad spaces. The network will, however, tell you that "this is part of [their(sic.)] effort to bring you, the viewer, the best in outdoor programming". That was the company line for keeping Charlie Moore on the air.

First of all, it's called WFN "World" Fishing Network, to me that implies fishing around the world??? If you don't like it, don't subscribe, or write the network and instead of complaining about the shows they have, maybe suggest something you'd like to see. It's possible there aren't that many fishing shows out there? Strangely there are likely people out there that like some of the programming you don't, go figure. Like any other TV network, watch what you like, don't watch what you don't like, it seems all very simple to me, but then I am a very simple person.

Maureen

come on guys if it wasnt for wfn I wouldnt have gotten my load and cut, have a perfect lawn and have all those revolutionary Billy May products, rekindle my love for Sophia Loren and remember why I hate the darn ocean.....

Seriously the Canadian and bass content is pretty good.....

Seems to me that trying to fill those hours with new and fascinating content is a pretty big chore, probably impossible. There just aren't enuf Daves, JPs et al around to fill the prime time hours for our amusement and edification. So the schedulers are playing around with different products to fill the void in hopes of finding a mix that satisfies everyone. It's a tough job.

I'm only an occasional viewer but it seems to me they should take a page from some of the other sport-specific channels and do more in studio shows instead of on the water programming. I'd be all over a show with one of our home grown pro's doing demos or comparing gear, showing how to properly load mono on a spinning reel, tying the best knots, casting techniques, retrieval and presentation techniques, and so on. Shows about specific species and methods fishing - walleye, bass, panfish, pike, muskie, carp, deepwater lake fish, spring & fall trout and salmon, off-shore, fly, trolling, jigging, casting, whatever. I have no idea what the viewer demographic is. That may be the problem. The demographic is so varied that they have to be all over the map (literally) to offer something for everyone and subsequently they lose the interest of the specific markets like Ontario.

It's a great idea with a load of difficulty attached.

JF

Im just tired of the paid programming. But I guess these channels... IE WFN, Military channel, Out door channel.... They get there funding from these so we have to put up with it.

I watch a few shows and then change the channel. Facts of fishing, Getting Skooled, Real Fishing, Bass edge, Musky hunter, Scotty martin... theres a few others Ive started to watch but cant remembe the names.

All in all.... The wife hates the channel, because its on quite a bit ! haha

If it wasn`t for the local boys,Mercer,DeRose,Izumi,and the Extreme Angler boys WFN would be a waste of time and money!

And Fish N Canada, as well as Musky Hunter for me. Oh, i also like The Next Bite.

I'm only an occasional viewer but it seems to me they should take a page from some of the other sport-specific channels and do more in studio shows instead of on the water programming. I'd be all over a show with one of our home grown pro's doing demos or comparing gear, showing how to properly load mono on a spinning reel, tying the best knots, casting techniques, retrieval and presentation techniques, and so on. Shows about specific species and methods fishing - walleye, bass, panfish, pike, muskie, carp, deepwater lake fish, spring & fall trout and salmon, off-shore, fly, trolling, jigging, casting, whatever. I have no idea what the viewer demographic is. That may be the problem. The demographic is so varied that they have to be all over the map (literally) to offer something for everyone and subsequently they lose the interest of the specific markets like Ontario.

It's a great idea with a load of difficulty attached.

JF

john, that's a brilliant idea, i'd definately watch it..

Seems to me that trying to fill those hours with new and fascinating content is a pretty big chore, probably impossible. There just aren't enuf Daves, JPs et al around to fill the prime time hours for our amusement and edification. So the schedulers are playing around with different products to fill the void in hopes of finding a mix that satisfies everyone. It's a tough job.

I'm only an occasional viewer but it seems to me they should take a page from some of the other sport-specific channels and do more in studio shows instead of on the water programming. I'd be all over a show with one of our home grown pro's doing demos or comparing gear, showing how to properly load mono on a spinning reel, tying the best knots, casting techniques, retrieval and presentation techniques, and so on. Shows about specific species and methods fishing -

JF

Great response John, you are right about filling the content... just think if there are a few bad shows on say OLN or Global when they only have to cover 3 hours of fishing two days per week, imagine the challenge of finding 24/7 worth of good content. There are a ton, literally a ton of fishing shows sent into the WFN to be aired but so many of them never see the light of day due to the quality or content... think what they must be like!!!

As for your request for a show.. I think I got most of it covered for you guys this year... Electronic tips, Boat maintenance tips, Tackle tips, Technique instruction like last year, rod power and action, reel with gear ratios, proper line per application, new lures, rods, reels, line and gadgets plus some tips for people both well into their game and advice for people starting out their passion for the sport.

Comparing gear can be a real problematic area, especially after you torch one in a review... that company may be a bit more than upset at you, the show and whoever carries it...lol

As a side note, I don't watch any one channel 24/7, so why should WFN be held to such a high standard? Chanel surfing is something everyone does, that's why there are hundreds of channels out there. When there is something on that I like, like Mercer, FLW or Scott Martin etc... I tune in. Typically after that I have too much work to do so back at it I go... Some people love flyfishing, some saltwater and others only watch the bass shows.. different stroke for different folks I guess... but that's why there are so many different shows on the network.. not everyone fishes the same way for the same thing!

JP

the Canadian shows are what keeps it going, but not FNC

they suck and I have not watched it from the day they did the all dressed in black lets pretend we are 13 years old show.....lost all respect for it

and wouldn't watch fishn canada if it was the last fishing show on earth

I would rather hang with David Carradine then watch fishing Canada

LMAO...sometimes I kill myself

Edited by Terry

Like others have said, they can't be held to such a high standard regarding reruns and such. I just wish I could figure out when the shows are on that I like to watch the most...they are always changing the day and time.

JP, Keep up the good work. Look forward to your new shows.

Jim

Great response John, you are right about filling the content... just think if there are a few bad shows on say OLN or Global when they only have to cover 3 hours of fishing two days per week, imagine the challenge of finding 24/7 worth of good content. There are a ton, literally a ton of fishing shows sent into the WFN to be aired but so many of them never see the light of day due to the quality or content... think what they must be like!!!

As for your request for a show.. I think I got most of it covered for you guys this year... Electronic tips, Boat maintenance tips, Tackle tips, Technique instruction like last year, rod power and action, reel with gear ratios, proper line per application, new lures, rods, reels, line and gadgets plus some tips for people both well into their game and advice for people starting out their passion for the sport.

Comparing gear can be a real problematic area, especially after you torch one in a review... that company may be a bit more than upset at you, the show and whoever carries it...lol

As a side note, I don't watch any one channel 24/7, so why should WFN be held to such a high standard? Chanel surfing is something everyone does, that's why there are hundreds of channels out there. When there is something on that I like, like Mercer, FLW or Scott Martin etc... I tune in. Typically after that I have too much work to do so back at it I go... Some people love flyfishing, some saltwater and others only watch the bass shows.. different stroke for different folks I guess... but that's why there are so many different shows on the network.. not everyone fishes the same way for the same thing!

JP

My local fishing store guy, Byron, gave you rave reviews, so I'll be watching for your show. To be honest I haven't subscribed to WFN before and just see it when the free stuff is one, but I'm tempted to get it. Truth is I found that during the last Starchoice freeby period in May the shows were better than the last time. Unfortunately your show didn't come on when I was watching. I'll try harder next time. Byron's bigger and younger than me and anybody who does wheelies in 5th gear on a rice rocket is insane, so he has my attention. :P

JF