Favorite BIG largemouth bass lure-presentation?

duber

Bass season is almost on us.My goal this year is to be able to catch BIG larges with some cosistancy.I have no problem catching 1-3.5 pound bass here on the BoQ but I struggle to break that 4 pound mark.My best day last year was 3 over 4 pounds but that is the exception not the rule for me (texas rigged 4 inch tubes).I have used bigger baits (10 inch worms & dinngers etc) but still catch the same size bass.Just wondering what everyone does to target big bass.

I love fishing in moderate to thick vegitation. Loved it last year out towards Kingston and at the BOG. Caught two 4lb bass on those Origional Fishing Snakes of mine, going to use those with some braid as well as some bass jigs + some topwater bass frogs.

Going for the thick stuff this year for the LMB.

I think catching BIG bass consistently is very location-oriented, based on the local diet.

Kawarthas it's scum frogs & jig/pigs.. around here (for me anyway) it's big plastic worms and buzzbaits.

Just dying to get out bass fishing.. thank god it's almost here!

Oh yeah, and I sure don't catch them consistently.. so I guess I'm not one to talk. LOL

Edited by Rich

First of all, if you can catch at least 5 3.5 lb largies every day, then you're doing awesome and better than most of the top pros. Quinte is in my opinion the top fishery in the province right now for numbers of solid 3 lb largies. But to catch large numbers of 4 lbers consistently? Very very very tough. I mean if you're actually going to put them on a scale that is. Not everyone's 4 lber is the same. :)

If you figure out the key, please let me know and we'll keep it a secret just between me and you! :D

Hands down Jig and Pig. Flip it, pitch it, dunk it, topwater it, ..... takes some getting used to..but once you do.. its a higher percentage big fish bait.

Another tip is, fish isolated spots for the bigguns, as Rich mentioned, its more putting it infront of thier face, then what the bait is.

Radnine, pork used to be very popular...plastic is more common now, it doesn't dry up. The main reason I use plastic is sometimes the pork tail would flip up over the hook point and you'd miss fish on the hookset. With plastic, this isn't an issue as the hook goes through it.

Edited by Harrison

lure selection and recommendations will all work for big bass. Location in my mind is the biggest thing. There's a number of runs I've fished including quinte that I have classed as big bass spots

What I like to look for

Docks that have deeper water that but up against areas with slop weeds.

Love slop that stretches from one dock to the next

Overhanging trees (more than just 1 though) with deeper water and wood that extends off the banks

Bull rush banks with undercut and blown in weeds

If you ever find old dredged out channels that have grown over with weeds in the summer these are big fish magnets.

When I fish for Bass on the Rideau, i get into the heavy weeds.

1). Early morning and late evening is great for top water action. I typically use frogs or jitterbugs. Nothing like a big blow-up on topwater by a very hungry and heavy LM.

2). Durign the day, we wind-drift over the weedbeds with a Florida Rig 6" worm. Basically jig it as we drift across the weeds. We've had some pretty good success with this method.

Try throwing big swimbaits

This guy seems like the authority judging by his tournament success...

With that said, I've found that if you are consistently catching 1-3.5lb fish, it is only a matter of time before you hit a bigger one using the same technique. Senkos have been my go-to for a few years now but spinner baits are a close second.

I've always believed bigger lures = bigger fish on average (though sometimes you'll get a big bass on a simple twister-tail jig and sometimes a perch will hit a swimbait that's barely bigger than it is).

I remember reading an article about California bassin' where locals will use really big swimbaits for the monsters...

Mike