Buying Replacement Tires for my Truck

It's been many, many years since I've had to buy new tires as I used to trade my vehicle in every 3 years and never really had to worry about it...BUT, with the economy the way it is lately, I've decided to keep my F-150 and now I'm wondering about tire replacement..

How/when do you know if it's time to replace your tires on a vehicle???......I've got 71K kms on these original tires and the wear bar is ~ 1/8" below the top of the tread....is it time??? can I squeeze a few more kms outa those tires??? :) ...if it was fall right now I wouldn't think twice but seeing how the snowy weather has past us, I just don't know....

Here's a pic of the tires....thanks!!

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

If your running around in town, no long distance driving, and not hauling anything heavy.. Your good for a few more months.. But would reccomend them soon. Even thou its not snowy weather... If you get a heavy rain, your just going to hydroplane.. Theres not enough tread left to evacuate the water well at highway speeds.

If your lookin for a good wear tire, something that works well year round, snow, rain, mud, sand... check into BFG All Terrains. Well worth it! I had a buddy had 120,000 km on them, center was almost bald but lots of tread on the side.. Had no problem winter driving in his 4wd 91 4Runner.. If I could get a set to fit my Grand Am.. I would lol

I do alot of backroad driving and get into mud and dirt often.

all-terrain-t-a-ko.jpg

Edited by Miller Photo

That's what I'm thinking....I booked an appointment at a tire shop earlier today for tomorrow morning but my neighbour started to get me second thinking as he thinks there's a couple of months left on them...

I'm heading to Temagami for a week of fishing mid June and will be towing a boat....I sure wouldn't want to start the trip off in a bad way!!

Thanks guys.....just needed some re-confirming ;)

But...is there any sure way of knowing when your tires need replacing????.....do you base it on km's, or just from visual inspection??.....all 4 tires have worn evenly, as I had them rotated every 10K kms....

Buying tires is fun

Get a set that are going to make that F150 look good.

You got 3 years out of them. Whats a couple months one way or the other.

Where I am, I would keep em, but where you are, I would change em.

Why mess up a good trip to Temagami over tires you know you have to replace soon any way.

Buying tires is fun

Get a set that are going to make that F150 look good.

You got 3 years out of them. Whats a couple months one way or the other.

Where I am, I would keep em, but where you are, I would change em.

Why mess up a good trip to Temagami over tires you know you have to replace soon any way.

That's what I'm thinking....I booked an appointment at a tire shop earlier today for tomorrow morning but my neighbour started to get me second thinking as he thinks there's a couple of months left on them...

When the highway blitz police stop you and see those tires and have you towed away, be sure and send the bill to your neighbour, I'm sure he'll pay with a smile. <_<

those tires are at the end of there useful life, while you may get a couple more months out of them they will be bound to let you down at the worst possible time, think about how much fun it is to drop your spare on the shoulder of a secondary highway with a trailer attached right where your trying to work!

right now goodyear has some decent instant rebates going on, I put a set of

wrangler silent armours on my z-71 last year couldn't be happier they work awesome in the snow/mud/dirt/ boat launch derby and are incredibly quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern, they will be better on fuel than the bfg all terrain ta's due to lighter contruction using kevlar, also the new michelin ltx at2 is a very nice tire, if your looking for a smooth highway tire you can go with the long trails you have now or step up to a michelin ltx m/s or a michelin latitude touring both are good for the 100k area any other q"s feel free to ask.

PS while your at it check your trailer tires and bearings

Edited by ecmilley

They look they've had it. If your looking for new I hear the Canadian Tire in St. Catherines is good, and they could use the business.

Jim

Thanks Jim....A bit too far of a drive for me ;) ...I'm just a tad NW from Ottawa and found a place that will install 4 Goodyear all terrain P265 70R 17 tires taxes in for $725....

Steve

Thanks Jim....A bit too far of a drive for me ;) ...I'm just a tad NW from Ottawa and found a place that will install 4 Goodyear all terrain P265 70R 17 tires taxes in for $725....

Steve

Those are a good tire also.. The Goodyear Wrangler AT/S.. I take it those are the ones your refering to..

GM used them as factory tires on the big Dually Trucks. Brother also works for a landscape company and they run those on their plow trucks.. They are good all season.

They look they've had it. If your looking for new I hear the Canadian Tire in St. Catherines is good, and they could use the business.

Jim

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BFG All Terrain TA's would be my choice also.

Check the date code on the side of your tires to see when they were manufactured. They say that after 10 years replace them as they dry out, crack and can blow. You should also check the date code on all new tires when you buy them since some retailers are selling old tires for new, ie new tires that were 6 years old. 20/20 or Dateline or one of those US news programs did a study on this and found that many new tires were actually old tires because they were manufactured 6 years earlier and that after 10 years, regardless of the amount of tread remaining, the tires should be replaced or risk a blow-out.

3 years / 71 000 km's ...........Yep , those tires have overstayed their welcome

Memo to Steve ..........

If you decide not to replace the tires before heading out on your fishing trip , Make sure to bring along your two LOYAL Friends just in case you need a hand to change a flat tire on the side of the road......... ;):P:P

You got your money's worth out of that rubber. The tread is just about done but what is more worrisome is the weather cracking/dry rot around the tread blocks. Those tires will come apart at some point and if that happens, either you or someone else will end up getting hurt or worse. For $725, go for it!!!

Check the date code on the side of your tires to see when they were manufactured. They say that after 10 years replace them as they dry out, crack and can blow. You should also check the date code on all new tires when you buy them since some retailers are selling old tires for new, ie new tires that were 6 years old. 20/20 or Dateline or one of those US news programs did a study on this and found that many new tires were actually old tires because they were manufactured 6 years earlier and that after 10 years, regardless of the amount of tread remaining, the tires should be replaced or risk a blow-out.

I'd almost be afraid to drive to the tire store to have them changed on those tires!

Good luck up in Temagami Steve! :canadian::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Glen.....made it to the tire store in one piece this morning :lol: ........I'm ready to rock and roll on the highway and in the bush now with them there new All Terrain rubbers ;) ......Hoping to bump up our team inches very shortly :lol:;)

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

Hey Paul....(whitespinnerbait) don't know bout you, but I can manage to change a tire on my own without a helping hand bud :lol::P;)

Hey Paul....(whitespinnerbait) don't know bout you, but I can manage to change a tire on my own without a helping hand bud :lol::P;)

Oh I realize that Steve.......

But lets say Me you and 24/7 are heading up to a Trout Lake in the pouring rain and we get a flat ....you and I remain in the truck drinking coffee

while 24/7 is out in the rain changing the flat.............. ;):lol::lol::lol::Gonefishing:

Oh I realize that Steve.......

But lets say Me you and 24/7 are heading up to a Trout Lake in the pouring rain and we get a flat ....you and I remain in the truck drinking coffee

while 24/7 is out in the rain changing the flat.............. ;):lol::lol::lol::Gonefishing:

...poor ol' Kevin!... I know exactly how he feels, because y'all treat me the same way!!! :angry:

we think the world of y'all... and y'all treat us like DIRT!!! :wallbash: