Do you pack groceries?

Radnine

This morning was the first morning nice enough to sit out on the back porch with your coffee. So as Jen and I are sipping (and she starts listing what needs to be done outside) I brought up our upcoming trip to Cameron Lake in July. The following topic came up and I immediately saw an opportunity for a post:

Do you haul groceries north, or do you shop when you get there?

In the case of Cameron Lake, there is a beautiful big grocery store in Fenlon Falls, less than ten minutes from the cottage. And I am thinking that the notion of packing food in coolers, getting ice, filling every inch of the van and boat, worrying about crushing the potato chips, etc. is an antiquated way of doing things.

Jennifer's argument is that she wants to vacation the minute she gets there and not have to unpack then go shopping.

Should I dump her, or do you guys still pack like prospectors? And does the porch really need painting?

Jim

a cow is a cow meat is meat. my wife says she finds it much cheaper to fill the cooler with stuff when we get there, we drive 4.5,5hrs one way to sudbury area. at that time i get some beer and ice, and she hits the little stores in chelmsford ,besides my wife likes shopping , so stopping at a new store even so she can peek in is somehow exciting to her?? i dont get it.

now go paint the porch!

You should be painting the porch... yesterday!!!

Shopping for groceries after you get there has always been part of the trip fun for me. You can find "different" stuff and try out the local brands!

I wait 'til my destination has been reached and everything has been unloaded from the truck, and then pop out to the local grocery. I also like to do souvenier shopping in local tackle shops for "different" tackle, T-shirts, and ball caps!

... but I'm sure you'll do what your wife tells you to do. :lol:

We always try to buy when we hit town... if you don't the store might not be there the next time when you really need it for mix !

..and you'd be surprised at the meat cuts in there solo... walk over next time you're hitting the Temagami LCBO ! lol

I prefer to buy and pack before I leave. Paul straps the cooler on the back of the truck so it would be a pain to unstrap it and fill it en route.

I'd also find it a pain to get all set up at cottage or camp and then have to go and get groceries. I agree with the wife, I want my vacation to start when I get there.

I think you need a new porch, not just paint ;)

Joey

When we go camping at a lodge or provincial park, I plan out the menu for the entire eight or nine days time we are there. Then we list out every single item we will require to finish every single meal to everyone's satisfaction. That includes the ingredeints for proper preparation of the appetizer of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the trempettes with toasted bread over the fire on evening #4 and the vanilla extract for the strawberries and fresh whipped cream for a breakfeast of waffles for breakfeast #6. This also means that we can't toss in the red pepper in a salad on day 3 if we require that red pepper as an ingredient for the chicken fajitas on day eight.

We purchase and pack everything locally before we leave and this usually requires two to three extra coolers full of pre-rozen, pre mixed orange juice, fruit juice, and milk cartons for breakfeasts and snacks around the campfire. After a couple days I shift the frozen drink containers as required to other coolers to keep the temperatures in those coolers down. It reduces our packing of ice considerably. And it keeps the beer cold, the meats cool and the fresh fruits cold the way the youg ones like them. We have to make sure the coolers all have proper locking lids to keep the raccoons out. As for bears, we don't worry about them much as the campgrounds are well populated.

We plan our meat meals later during our stay as some meats require more time to defrost than others. We monitor this carefully and may shift one planned meal to meal #4 instead of meal #9 to accomodate this.

Of course we will keep our coolers full of meat in the vehicles as we do have respect for bears.

In the daytime when we are out of camp for most of the day we stack 2 or 3 coolers and cover them with sleeping bags and keep them in the shade.

We learned to camp this way from experience. I am sure other people have lots of good ideas and I would like to hear about them. Perhaps in a different thread.

My preference is to pack the meat we will have while away (when you buy in bulk it's hard to justify a steak from the grocery store rather than one of the 3 dozen in your freezer) and then hit the farm stands and such on the way for the fruit and veg. You can't beat fruits and veggies that were picked and then walkedd 100 yards to the roadside stand. Heck, IMHO that's half the reason I like getting out of town so much!

Edited by Dnthmn

When we go camping at a lodge or provincial park, I plan out the menu for the entire eight or nine days time we are there. Then we list out every single item we will require to finish every single meal to everyone's satisfaction. That includes the ingredeints for proper preparation of the appetizer of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the trempettes with toasted bread over the fire on evening #4 and the vanilla extract for the strawberries and fresh whipped cream for a breakfeast of waffles for breakfeast #6. This also means that we can't toss in the red pepper in a salad on day 3 if we require that red pepper as an ingredient for the chicken fajitas on day eight.

We purchase and pack everything locally before we leave and this usually requires two to three extra coolers full of pre-rozen, pre mixed orange juice, fruit juice, and milk cartons for breakfeasts and snacks around the campfire. After a couple days I shift the frozen drink containers as required to other coolers to keep the temperatures in those coolers down. It reduces our packing of ice considerably. And it keeps the beer cold, the meats cool and the fresh fruits cold the way the youg ones like them. We have to make sure the coolers all have proper locking lids to keep the raccoons out. As for bears, we don't worry about them much as the campgrounds are well populated.

We plan our meat meals later during our stay as some meats require more time to defrost than others. We monitor this carefully and may shift one planned meal to meal #4 instead of meal #9 to accomodate this.

Of course we will keep our coolers full of meat in the vehicles as we do have respect for bears.

In the daytime when we are out of camp for most of the day we stack 2 or 3 coolers and cover them with sleeping bags and keep them in the shade.

We learned to camp this way from experience. I am sure other people have lots of good ideas and I would like to hear about them. Perhaps in a different thread.

Congratulations, you have managed to make a vacation sound twice as difficult as staying at work.

Jim

Oh my god, what do you do when it comes to bedroom fun. :lol:

All that work, when all you need is beer and whiskey........oh, and your rods/tackle.

If we're going to the cottage, we generally get most things up there. If its a camping trip, I like to have my stuff packed and ready to go when I arrive at my destination. Then its just a matter of dumping it off at the site,and launching the boat :)

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Get it when I get there. Or nearby. Or catch it on the way.

Agreed Wayne... Temagami store has great meat. Went in there the tuesday after family day. Asked the butcher for a large tenderloin to cut my own steaks for the guys. Had it... quick trim... dang fine on the BBQ that night.

dont let GCD fool you,

he picks up his food onroute.

its called ROAD KILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

and if the skins still intact he wears it as a hat!!!!

as for takin food with you so you can start your vacation as soon as you get there..........

do you say that before or as your setting up the tent, dining tent,coleman stove,propane tank,

lantern,lawn chairs,filling up the air mattresses,unrolling the sleeping bags, unpacking the truck--------

or do you make paul do that joey?---lol

see ya up at lake air

As a rule i never pack any food or essentials except beer. I figure if i am going to an area to fish or hunt i may as well dump some cash on the local economy. I may take enough food for the first night, in case i am to lazy to go to the store right away but generally no.

we usually try and hit a few rabbits or deer on the way up and thats the food for the week

We have taken that 1 step further. Experience has taught us that if you leave before sun up, you can get very fresh road kill before the crows start picking at it. Saves wear and tare on your car when someone else does the dirty work :D