Cabellas wouldn't ship to Canada

lew

I've read on alot of different websites, mostly American, that an item called Keelshield is recommended to protect the keel on glass boats, so I decided to get one. I searched around Ontario and couldn't find one so I checked Cabellas and they had them on for a decent price, so I gave them a call.

Strangest thing though, the Cabellas operator was printing up my order when she discovered that they weren't allowed to ship the item across the border to Canada and she had no idea why. She got her supervisor and she had no idea why either and said they'd never heard of anything like that before :dunno:

I can see maybe a company not being allowed to ship bullets or chemicals or other dangerous goods into Canada, but this thing is basically just a piece plastic.

I did a bit more searching after that and actually found one right here in Toronto and I'm picking it up today, but I just found it strange.

Anyone else experience that with Cabellas or anyone else for that matter ??

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas...ain-Large$

Lew I ordered a Keel guard and some other Keel products direct from Keel Shield last winter ,it was all here in 3 days ,they make a nice stainless Bow protector as well that contours to your hull and rests where the hull meets the trailer roller so you dont get the black smudges on the hull from rubbing,the Keel guard is a bit tricky to install follow the Dvds instuctions to a T and you should have no problems

A pain for the consumer some times.. but good to see a distributor actually protecting their dealers regions in this day and age of the internet.

Guess you planned on following the trolling route I took you on at Lakair Lew. Just remember.. hug the boulder... there's a shoal on the other side that Leah (and my keel strip) knows well ! lol

Edited by irishfield

These things are tricky to install which is why most are installed at the factory. My factory installed keel guard came apart in a few places on my previous boat and the dealer didn't want to touch it. The boat company reps happened to be in town so they did the repair....it never came loose after that.

I had the same thing this week with Cabelas tried too order some vinyl paint for jigs. I was told they can not ship the paint to Canada and was redirected to their Canadain outlet. Then I find out they don't carry the paint. So I ended up driving over the border to Gander Mnt. and getting what I needed.

Guess you planned on following the trolling route I took you on at Lakair Lew.

No sense following YOUR trolling route Wayne, there's no fish there :lol::lol:

As for the install, thanks for the heads up guys. I've read the instructions seveal times, plus there was an episode of Ship Shape TV a couple weeks ago where they showed the install of a similar product.

Do it on a warm day, take your time and keep your fingers crossed :D

No sense following YOUR trolling route Wayne, there's no fish there :lol::lol:

As for the install, thanks for the heads up guys. I've read the instructions seveal times, plus there was an episode of Ship Shape TV a couple weeks ago where they showed the install of a similar product.

Do it on a warm day, take your time and keep your fingers crossed :D

Lew are ya gonna have a hard time scuffing that NEW hull to make it stick :o ,if ya leave it out in the sun for 20 minutes like they state its very easy to work with

I have had issues with Cabelas not being able to ship to Canad quite a few times.

Each time they no idea why they weren't allowed to, but I also believe that most of the time it has to do with distribution rights.

I tried to order a pontoon boat thet they had on sale last year and they could not ship it to me. I have had the same problem trying to order new seats for the boat from Cabelas. dunno.gifdunno.gifdunno.gif

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Its a way for suppliers to stick it too us.

When the dollar dropped and stores did not change the costs to reflect the true cost , people went too the USA, blocking out the little guy.

Rather than adjust they just set it up too refuse to ship too Canada. Now the dollar is lower again they raise the price right away :(

I noticed that Keel Shield drop ships directly from the manufacturer, the usuall do this for the large bulky items.

I've ordered a couple of things like this and they come in on a tractor trailer instead of UPS. :rolleyes: I usually have to meet them in town because they're afraid they won't have a place to turn the big rig around... and once they get off the interstate highway, they don't know where the hell they're going!!!

Hey Lew,

I had the same thing happen to me ordering from Cabelas. I wanted to buy a fishfinder/gps item from them and when I got on the phone to order it the girl on the other end said that this item wasn't able to be shipped to Canada because it was on a certain list... from FBI I think she said. No problem though because she took the item off of the list long enough for her to order me one and get the process going and sure enough it showed up on my doorstep about three weeks later. No problem.

Who knows what causes this... my order was shortly after 911 so that might have been a time when everyone was being a little more careful about stuff.

I have never had any problems with Cabelas ever since and I order a ton of stuff from them. So much in fact that I get the Hard cover catalogue every year... and about thirty catalogues on the side... I feel a bit bad that they send so many... Quite frankly it is a bit of overkill the way they market stuff... I usually hit the website for browsing anyway. I think I might ask them soon to stop sending paper items... save a tree maybe.

I noticed that Keel Shield drop ships directly from the manufacturer, the usuall do this for the large bulky items.

I suspect you've nailed it. If it's an item that Cabela's doesn't stock in their warehouse the supplier may not be interested in dealing with border brokerage issues. As for the paint it's likely just as someone said already - certain volatile materials are not as easy to ship, particularly by air and across borders.

JF

I get the Hard cover catalogue every year... and about thirty catalogues on the side...

I get all those too and especially enjoy going thru the hardcover book as there are so many things that aren't available around here, but they can be so darned expensive to get shipped up here. I've checked out the Canadian Cabellas for a few things but they really don't seem to have much of a selection on alot of items.

Hopefully in the near future though.

For years I received tons of catalogs from BPS and Cabela's at both my home and office. Double clutter. My life is better since I stopped delivery of all catalogs. On-line shopping is doing fine for me.

I'm not allowed to cross the border with my handguns or my potatoes. Don't think Cabela's is the cause.

Guest gbfisher

I've ordered Bow fishng set ups and game cameras from Cabalas in the past and had no issue. They were here the same week I ordered as well.....

Good to hear you found what you were looking for Lew.

I must be on Cabela's SUPER "A" list as I get 2 hard cover catalogs each year and a week doesn't go by that I don't receive a paper back catalog from them. Some weeks 3 or more catalogs show up in my mail.

I have and really use my Cabela's Credit Card for almost all my purchases building up points for free stuff. The few times I have called them up because of a problem with a product I have purchased from them they bend over backwards to satisfy my needs. The last one was on their onboard charger that was 2.5 years out of warranty that stopped working. They replaced it FREE of charge for me. They definitely have a loyal customer because of that kind of customer service I receive. It might be because of using their credit card so much.