Back To My Pike Trip

MCTFisher9120

Ok so i have been going through my tackle and picking out some lures that i'm going to be bringing to GBay in some Plano cases. I got some spoons and leaders recently. I want to make up a "Quick Strike" rig for using large minnows also to go with my little pike tackle box aswell as get some of the suggested spoons and spinners from my other thread. Are there any other baits that i should get instead of others...As of now im looking at 2 more spoons and 2 spinners. Any spoons/spinners that should be first on my list at Canadian Tire?

Thanks, also:

What lb test should i use on this "Quick Strike Rig" i'm going to be making?

Best Regards,

Mike

PS-I will not forget my team sign!

Can't go wrong with some crankbaits, like a couple of Husky jerks and x-raps (natural & bright).

I mostly fish with crankbaits or spoons for pike. Spinnerbaits are great too if you have room, but they often get wrecked in a day of catching aggressive pike.

(Some of my crankbaits are in pretty bad shape too!)

Mike

What you have there looks good. All of those baits will catch Pike, and you already have more than what you will use.

Don't waste your money buying on whim or speculation.

Wait until you need to replace something, or until you see a bait, and know exactly where, why and how you will use it.

We all have lures that never get in the water. We bought them to fill up space, instead of to fill a need.

We all have lures that never get in the water. We bought them to fill up space, instead of to fill a need.

And that is why I have a LARGE soft tackle bag and a med. bag overflowing with tackle… ;)

For making a quick strike rig, you need 30lb test steel wire, and a couple of nice sized treble hooks, beads and the like are optional. You could also use 50lb or higher flurocarbon leader material. For early spring pike, nothing beats a nice sucker on a quick strike rig, depending on the weather, if it's been cold, they don't bite all that hard.

Selection looks pretty good, especially with the suspending baits like the Huskies and the X-raps that u can stop and go retrieve when the cold fronts hit and the pike don't feel like chasing lures.

I've always had luck on Little Cleo spoons, 3/4 oz or 2/5 oz in the hammered style in green or chartruese. They can also be put to good use for trout and salmon.

You could also add a couple inline spinners and I've had the best luck on Vibrax spinners in the #4 and #5 with bright coloured centers. They also work well for a variety of species. One last thing is u might want to get some longer needle nosed pliers in the 10" range, with some baits the pike will take a lure in deeper and will save a few cuts and scrapes from those razor sharp teeth.

:thumbsup_anim:

All good tid bits here. You're pretty much set!

If you'll be using mono for your quick strike rigs, i'd go with 80lbs. Anything heavier is just too thick. Seagar is a good name. You could also use the mono for leader material. If you happen to fish clearer water, you'll have an edge. Especially if it's fluro. It's also a little more boyant, provided there's not too much hardware, so your lure will sit better in the water. It's all about confidence really. If your bait performs well, you'll concentrate more on your retrieve, and you'll know exactly how your bait looks to the fish.. It sure gives me a big booster.

I tie my own fluro leaders. Instead of sleaves (crimps) to hold the loops together, I'll tie a nail knot with 50lb braid.. The less hardware on the leader, the more natural your HJ 13 firetiger is gonna look.

check it. It's beauty is in it's simplicity!!

med_gallery_439_445_84777.jpg

One descent swivel..

med_gallery_439_445_167656.jpg

And a good snap..

med_gallery_439_445_38822.jpg

The nail knot is a little difficult to master, but they've always held fast for me. I take plyers to the tag ends and really pull. The coils get so tight they actually dig in to the mono a bit.

good piking dude!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

That's a pretty cool knot HD, will have to learn that one. I've been using 35 lb fluoro and it works fine with the snotters but don't trust it with bigger fish.

I was given a pretied flouro leader by a kind fisherman that likes to remain anonymous. Wasn't anything happening with the pike that day but he was attracting beavers.

His identity as well as the beaver's had to be hidden. :thumbsup_anim:

Beaverpike.jpg

That's a pretty cool knot HD, will have to learn that one. I've been using 35 lb fluoro and it works fine with the snotters but don't trust it with bigger fish.

I was given a pretied flouro leader by a kind fisherman that likes to remain anonymous. Wasn't anything happening with the pike that day but he was attracting beavers.

His identity as well as the beaver's had to be hidden. :thumbsup_anim:

Beaverpike.jpg

A re-gift??! He'd sure as heck better stay nameless!! :unsure::devil:

Another interesting tid bit. You don't need a tool to make the knot.. or a slender tube.. I tie the coils over a loop, put the tag end through the loop and pull at the loop itself, bringing the tag through the coils, thus fastening the knot. Good to know if you're out in the field and say you wanna connect a leader to a fly line..

I would add a half decent sized williams wabler in gold/silver.

I don't fish a lot of pike, but the guys that I know that do call that one the "dinner bell" for pike.

I have fished with them, and it works. I wouldn't be without one for pike.

A re-gift??! He'd sure as heck better stay nameless!! :unsure::devil:

Another interesting tid bit. You don't need a tool to make the knot.. or a slender tube.. I tie the coils over a loop, put the tag end through the loop and pull at the loop itself, bringing the tag through the coils, thus fastening the knot. Good to know if you're out in the field and say you wanna connect a leader to a fly line..

Pretty sure that the leader that Mr anomynous gave me tied it himself and used metal crimps. :D

I looked up the "nail knot" and it looks like a fancy snell type knot and wondered what u use for a tube, so that answered my question.

Do u just use braided line to hold everything together ?

Lol Mike. You always ask if you need anything else. You have got WAYYY More than what I have myself, and I can almost assure you that not every single one of those baits are even going to see water in 2009.

Get out and get Fishing!

Looking at your collection once again, something strikes me.

You don't have any baits to fish at or near the bottom.

Fished normally, the spinnerbaits and the spoons are essentially the same thing in different wrappers...

Fast moving, shallow to mid-depth flash-attractor baits.

The Jerks and Rap baits are shallow to mid-water slow moving baits...cast...give it a tug, wait, tug it again.

They dive and glide, and dive again...never getting very deep.

You might want to add some tubes and jigs, or even just jigs to use with your Gulp.

In the Spring a large part of a Pike's diet consists of dead and dying Shad etc. that they pick off the bottom.

If you don't have any jigs, you can let a spoon settle to the bottom, jerk it up and then let it flutter down again.

This works for Bass too by the way.

If the bottom is snaggy, jigs are cheaper to lose than spoons...GRIN.

Pretty sure that the leader that Mr anomynous gave me tied it himself and used metal crimps. :D

I looked up the "nail knot" and it looks like a fancy snell type knot and wondered what u use for a tube, so that answered my question.

Do u just use braided line to hold everything together ?

AHHH okay.. The beaver man I know woudn't dare!!

I've fiddled with mono and dacron, but braid does the trick. It's all I use to secure my loops. Less bulk, lower profile.

Fish top to bottom until you locate them, then concentrate most of your time on the area of activity, try to establish a pattern and repeat until proven unsuccessful. You don`t have to fish a spinnerbaits fast you can slow roll them, cast it let it settle to the bottom and crank slowly, if you can`t be sure were it is stopp the retrieve and let it sink. A technique better(easier) with a heavier spinner bait 3/4 to 1 1/2 ounce but can be done with a lighter one in shallower water. A rubber core sinker with the rubber pulled out can be crimped to the hook shank to add weight with out changing the lure profile.

Jig and pig, jig and craw, tubes will work deeper for pike.