Does anyone keep their Pike & Muskie?

I keep one or 2 small pike cause my wife likes to eat them

but large ones no , I don't keep any big fish to eat, I don't think they taste as good as small ones

the big ones have has many more years to acquire toxics in them, so small ones are safer

plus big fish are more likely to breed big fish

as for muskie, small ones are under the slot size so you can only keep big ones, but they taste like crap so unless you are getting it mounted I see no reason to keep one, but that's just me

I'll keep the odd smaller pike say 6-8 lbs anything big goes back as I consider them to be breeders. Even when I do catch a really big muskie it will go back. There are so many places that can make a replica of the fish that I feel it's a waste not to live release it ;) Just be sure to get plenty of pics and good measurements and you're all set :thumbsup_anim:

I keep the odd pike or walleye from cold water for an older lady I know, she will start asking me after the season opens about a fish or 2, Musky need to be released as far as I'm concerned unless they are bleeding bad, I would rather get a replica made then a stuffed mount, my father had a bass and a walleye done in the early 70's and after a couple year didn't look very good, replicas look good forever

Richard

My 2 cents

i think pike is one of the best eating fish out there especially in nice cold water with hardly any weeds. i think it tastes alot better then walleye and bass. im pretty upset about the poor pike slot sizes with keeping 4 pike under 24", they arent worth keeping that size, i keep pike 3lb+, the biggest i've kept and ate was a 15lb pike and it still tasted fine. ive never kept a musky but i would like to keep just one to eat, just to see what it tastes like and to say i did. alot of ppl wont keep pike cause they dont know how to clean them but they are quite easy to fillet and thats what youtube is for!

Legal-to-keep muskies are also very old and probably toxic.......besides, i doubt they taste very good.

Pike on the other hand taste fantastic. I still wouldn't eat a big one though (taste, toxicity, plus just like to throw the big ones back)

I keep a couple (maybe a few) pike in the 22"-28" range each summer. My father-in-law will take them home from camp and eat them with my mother-in-law. They don't mind the bones.

I'm aware there are ways to clean a pike boneless, but I haven't bothered to learn. I really should.

Does anyone have a link to a really good how-to vid?

I kept a pike, around 30 years ago, about a 40-41 incher that died on me. LOL had a picture of it around here somewhere, buddy insisted we had to run back to camp and get his camera, I don`t carry one, just never had the interest. Fish didn`t recover after about a half hour of me trying so I had it mounted, LOL what a waste. Cost about as much as a week of cabin rental at the time, another week up north would have meant more to me than than that fish did.

Muskies? don`t even go there, my jinx fish.

Just not into keeping fish much, a walleye or steelhead a year for the wife and kids was enough.

This is as close as I get to putting the ole snot rocket in my boat.

We have a love hate thing going on---20 lber puts up a good fight (Our subject here is only bout a 10) but I truly believe I've been bitten off a CaJillion Times while fishing for other species.

Bushart